mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2012-08-09, 15:51   #12
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We are signed up for P-1 work, but we have picked up a few DC assignments.
Hmmm... Please PM me the computer name(s) involved. I'll go through the logs and see what was communicated and exactly what happened.

The proxy honors work type selections as communicated by the client, but the protocol is such that preferred work type is (supposed to be) sent by the client before requests for work occurs. The default Work Type is DC -- this will soon be settable on a per-user and per-computer basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Even weirder, those DC assignments show up on out GIMPS assignments page. The P-1 work does not.
That's not weird.

LL/DC assignments are "true" Primenet assignments. P-1 assignments are local to GPU72.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2012-08-09 at 16:02 Reason: s/name computer/computer name(s)/
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 18:32   #13
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
The proxy honors work type selections as communicated by the client, but the protocol is such that preferred work type is (supposed to be) sent by the client before requests for work occurs. The default Work Type is DC -- this will soon be settable on a per-user and per-computer basis.
OK. Mike has found a bug in my proxy.

I missed the case where the client asks Primenet for what work type should be done for each CPU. I had assumed ("Makes an ASS out of U and ME") that a "Program Options" (PO) message would never be sent by the client requesting the information from Primenet without it first sending a PO message giving the CPU's preference.

Further, if a computer's CPU was known but its work type was 0 ("What makes sense") the proxy didn't then refer to the computer's default work type before falling back to the system-wide default.

Sorry about that. This has now been fixed.

Have I mentioned that software is hard?
Old 2012-08-10, 21:22   #14
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts
Default GPU72 now automatically submits all results to James...

At the excellent suggestion of Mike (Xyzzy), and with a little bit of work by James and myself, all results which pass through the new GPU72 proxy are now automatically submitted to James' Mersenne-aries stats site in real-time.

No longer is it necessary to manually submit the results files for James to know all of the particulars about P-1, DC and LL efforts. This includes the B1, B2 and E values (if used) for P-1 work, even in the case where a factor is found.

All historical traffic which has already passed through the proxy has been submitted, with the time-stamp of when the results were seen.

Thanks to Mike for the suggestion, and to James for building and making available a light-weight API in order for the data submissions to be easy.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:51   #15
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

24×3×17 Posts

Excellent work!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 09:35   #16
ckdo

Dec 2007
Cleves, Germany

232 Posts
Default Something fishy here...

Grabbed 2 LLs and 4 DCs earlier. Didn't take note of the AIDs for either set.

Regenerated worktodo.txt from my assignments page - oldest assignments first. Dropped the worktodo.txt into Prime95's folder and communicated new end dates to proxy.

Net result as per my assignments page: 4 DCs assigned to correct CPU. 2 LLs still "Manual". Of course, my Prime95 did send ETAs for those 2 LLs as well...
ckdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 13:04   #17
kjaget

Jun 2005

3×43 Posts

It looks like I'm still getting way too many DC tests regardless of my settings. 2 of my machines are set to "whatever makes sense" so I'd expect occasional DCs but not the 100% I'm seeing. But on 2 others (e.g. Workstation, core 1) it is set to P-1. It's strange, because that system looks to have received a dozen or so P-1 assignments and then got a DC one early this morning (02:xx 8/11/2012).

Last fiddled with by kjaget on 2012-08-11 at 13:04
kjaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 15:57   #18
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdo View Post
Net result as per my assignments page: 4 DCs assigned to correct CPU. 2 LLs still "Manual". Of course, my Prime95 did send ETAs for those 2 LLs as well...
Thanks for pointing that out -- a SPE on the LL manual assignments page. It wasn't correctly filling out the AID in the Assignment record; the Primenet API protocol never refers to the Exponent, only it's AID, so when your client sent the ETAs to Primenet the Proxy didn't know which candidate to apply the knowledge to.

I set the AIDs to be correct for the two LL assignments, and then re-ran the API messages through the proxy. The assignments were set to the correct CID, and the ETA dates updated.
Old 2012-08-11, 16:12   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaget View Post
It looks like I'm still getting way too many DC tests regardless of my settings. 2 of my machines are set to "whatever makes sense" so I'd expect occasional DCs but not the 100% I'm seeing.
The system-wide default is DC. So if a machine's default is set to WMS, it will get DCs. Note that if one or more of a machine's CPUs is set to WMS, but the machine itself is set to something else, the CPU will be assigned according to the machine's default.

I *really* need to get the Account Settings page finished, where people will be able to set their own default assignment preference. Hopefully today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaget View Post
But on 2 others (e.g. Workstation, core 1) it is set to P-1. It's strange, because that system looks to have received a dozen or so P-1 assignments and then got a DC one early this morning (02:xx 8/11/2012).
I'll drill down on the API messages sent by that machine, and see what I can see. The work type preference exchanges through the API are a bit tricky. Possibly I've missed something.

But for anyone who's received a DC assignment when they really wanted a P-1, just make sure your machine's default work type is P-1 and then unreserve the DC assignment through the client -- GPU72 and Primenet will both recognize this and it will disappear from your assignments lists at both.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:53   #20
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
No longer is it necessary to manually submit the results files for James to know all of the particulars about P-1, DC and LL efforts. This includes the B1, B2 and E values (if used) for P-1 work, even in the case where a factor is found.
I checked on a few of my P-1 submissions on James' site, the E value still wasn't there. I submitted one manually and then it showed up... don't know if the E value is working?

Everything else seems great though, thanks for the hard work on all this!
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 05:31   #21
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

5×1,901 Posts

I've set up a separate instance of P95-64 with 2 workers, set for manual communication, DC (at the moment), with short days reserved for amount of work. When I want more work for CL, I fire up this setup and tell it to call home. It then downloads 2 DC assignments: one for each worker. I then move these to worktodo for CL.

I'm doing this because I currently don't have a P95 worker running LL or DC on my main instance of the program. Is it possible to have P95 launch without attempting to start processing?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 05:45   #22
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

22·3·5·11 Posts

PauseWhileRunning=* along with PauseCheckInterval=1 will only allow 1 second of processing (maximum).

Is there a reason why this is preferable to the manual assignment page?
Edit: Nevermind; you can use the GPU72 proxy this way...

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2012-08-13 at 05:49
sdbardwick is online now   Reply With Quote