mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2012-08-07, 22:29   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts
Exclamation Automatic kvetching about P-1, LL and DC work from GPU72

A new feature from GPU72.com ("Not just for GPUs anymore!")...

It is now possible to have your Prime95/mprime clients automatically fetch P-1, LL and DC work from GPU72.com. No longer is it necessary to manually download the work from the web interface.

How this works is I've built a Proxy which "speaks" the Primenet API protocol. All that's needed is to set the following in each client's prime.txt file, under the "[Primenet]" section:

Code:
ProxyHost=gimps.gpu72.com:80
However, before you will be assigned work from GPU72, you need to PM me your Primenet Username -- the name you use to log into Primenet. I don't need, nor want, your associated Password. This knowledge is required by the Primenet API protocol. And, to be explicit, there's nothing I can do with your account knowing your Username.

If you configure the proxy before you send me your Username, communications between your client(s) and Primenet will still work fine, you just won't be assigned work from GPU72 until the system knows your Username. You will instead be assigned work from Primenet through the proxy.

This system is being used by 18 people so far, and it's working fine. If you are not yet a GPU72 user, but want to give this feature a try, please Sign Up for an account, PM me, and away you go.

For those who are already using GPU72, you'll have noticed some additional columns in the View Assignments and View Completed reports, plus a new "Computers and Notes" page -- this is what that is all about.

Within the next day or so I'll be adding a new page to the system where you can set your Username yourself without needing to PM me. Also, some other new features are planned soon which leverages on this new ability.

Enjoy.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 22:48   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts
Default Quick FAQ...

Q1: I already use the Primenet/mprime ProxyHost settings to get through a firewall. Can I still use the GPU72 proxy?

A1: Unfortunately, no. Or at least, not easily.

A1.1: The longer answer... In order to do this your current proxy must have its DNS configured such that v5.mersenne.org resolves to 74.208.185.233 (gimps.gpu72.com) (or CNAMEs to gimps.gpu72.com) instead of what it normally does.

Q2: I do other work types in addition to P-1, LL and DC. Can I still use the proxy?

A2: Yes. The proxy honors the Work Type settings for each CPU. Any requests for Work Types the proxy can't offer are simply passed to Primenet for fulfillment. All updates and results messages simply pass through the proxy to Primenet. (Important: See Q7 and A7 below.)

Q3: I still like to manually fetch work. Can I continue to do so?

A3: Yes. Manual (or worktodo.add) additions to the worktodo.txt file will be handled just the same as if the proxy was not being used. The only real difference is when new work is requested.

Q4: I do some work directly from Primenet, in addition to work from GPU72. Can I continue to do so?

A4: Yes. All Update and Completed messages pass through the proxy to Primenet, so mixing GPU72 and non-GPU72 assignments works fine.

Q5: Do I need to put my GPU72 username and password in the ProxyUser and ProxyPass fields of the Prime95/mprime client?

A5: No. These fields are for proxies which require authentication. The GPU72 proxy doesn't.

Q6: Can I switch back to not using the proxy in the future if I choose to?

A6: For LL and DC assignments, the GPU72 proxy gives you the real Primenet AID, and the assignments will show up in your Primenet Assignment report. So you can switch back to using Primenet directly with no issues.

A6.1: For P-1 assignments it's a little more complicated in that the AID is generated by GPU72, so if you switched back to Primenet directly it wouldn't know about the AIDs and it will complain about an invalid assignment key at the next update. In such cases it's best to either unreserve the P-1 assignments before switching back, or else remove the AIDs from the worktodo.txt file.

Q7: I started using the proxy, but I'm being assigned Double Check work instead of what Prime95/mprime is configured to get. Why?

A7: There appears to be a bug in the Prime95/mprime client such that it doesn't always indicate its work preference before requesting work. The solution is to change the work type (overall if all threads do the same work, or on a per-thread basis if different threads do different work) to something different (like Double Check), manually communicate with the server, then switch the work type back to your preference and manually communicate again. This need only be done once per client.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2013-04-23 at 17:48 Reason: Added Q7.
Old 2012-08-08, 14:18   #3
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

3·5·11·13 Posts

Thanks chalsall!

Now what we need is GP.... oops, you've done enough already!
kracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 15:48   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×5×419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
This system is being used by 18 people so far, and it's working fine.
Just for confirmation, I am one of the 18 and I am very happy. I still manually fetch the work for some of my computeres, but I had few other which fetched work from PrimeNet automatically, because I wasn't able to run around (inconvenient location of the computers) to give them manual work in time. Now I "proxyed" some of the computers with the inconvenient access through gpu72. They are doing exactly the same type of work (mainly DC) as before, but now i get credit "two times", hehe, on Gimps and on Gpu272 too.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 04:08   #5
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Agree, everything is working really well and it saves soooo much time! (And it fills the assignemts/results page with a lot more useful information).

@chalsall: A question. Since I use your spider to report results to PrimeNet, what is required to get it to 'talk' to your proxy and what information is required on each line so you know what Computer/GPU and instance reported the results? I know progress won't update, per se, but the completed assignments page will show the details vice just having 'manual'.

Seems like it should be quite easy to make all these changes . I know mfakto already supports adding information to the results (though I haven't messed with that function yet).
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 04:37   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

882410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
Seems like it should be quite easy to make all these changes . I know mfakto already supports adding information to the results (though I haven't messed with that function yet).
The optimal solution is to add the Primenet API communications protocol to mfakt*. That, obviously, is something which is going to take some thought, and co-ordination with George, Scott, Oliver and Bdot (possibly et al).

In the shorter term, I think (don't know, but am pretty sure) that Primenet will not accept results via its API protocol unless they have the "secret hash" included with each message. The only possible exception to this would be Factor Found results, but even then the user account wouldn't be associated.

A temporary "hack" is to add a parallel channel to my submission spider, such that it talks to both Primenet's manual submission interface (as it does now -- different than the API) and GPU72's new API for each result.

Not difficult, but it's not going to happen this week....
Old 2012-08-09, 05:00   #7
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

I see... I forgot about the hash.
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 05:05   #8
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
The optimal solution is to add the Primenet API communications protocol to mfakt*. That, obviously, is something which is going to take some thought, and co-ordination with George, Scott, Oliver and Bdot (possibly et al).

In the shorter term, I think (don't know, but am pretty sure) that Primenet will not accept results via its API protocol unless they have the "secret hash" included with each message. The only possible exception to this would be Factor Found results, but even then the user account wouldn't be associated.

A temporary "hack" is to add a parallel channel to my submission spider, such that it talks to both Primenet's manual submission interface (as it does now -- different than the API) and GPU72's new API for each result.

Not difficult, but it's not going to happen this week....
As I recall, it also required the computer's name and GUID. That part is when I decided that Christenson could take as much time as he needed to automate mfaktc.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 14:16   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
As I recall, it also required the computer's name and GUID. That part is when I decided that Christenson could take as much time as he needed to automate mfaktc.
Actually, that part isn't really all that difficult at all. The Computer's name is only used in Update Computer messages. The GUID (what I call CID) is simply a self-generated 32 character MD5 hash.
Old 2012-08-09, 15:36   #10
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

11101001001002 Posts

We are signed up for P-1 work, but we have picked up a few DC assignments.

Even weirder, those DC assignments show up on out GIMPS assignments page. The P-1 work does not.

How do we fix this?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:46   #11
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Even weirder, those DC assignments show up on out GIMPS assignments page. The P-1 work does not.
That's due to this:
Quote:
Q5: Can I switch back to not using the proxy in the future if I choose to?

A5: For LL and DC assignments, the GPU72 proxy gives you the real Primenet AID, and the assignments will show up in your Primenet Assignment report. So you can switch back to using Primenet directly with no issues.

A5.1: For P-1 assignments it's a little more complicated in that the AID is generated by GPU72, so if you switched back to Primenet directly it wouldn't know about the AIDs and it will complain about an invalid assignment key at the next update. In such cases it's best to either unreserve the P-1 assignments before switching back, or else remove the AIDs from the worktodo.txt file.
As for this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We are signed up for P-1 work, but we have picked up a few DC assignments.
I'm not sure about that.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote