mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > MISFIT

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-08, 01:02   #45
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
It should theoretically be possible to compile this with an earlier version of .net. I imagine it could be compiled for the default version of .net for vista and windows 7.

Doing a .net 2.0 is trivial since it is only a compiler setting, and the classes I use in System.IO have been there since the beginning.

Since c# is a morph of Java I'm sure I could whack that out for Chasall. Don't hold your breath though.....
Old 2012-08-08, 02:18   #46
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts

Version 1.0.9 compiled in .NET 2.0. instead of .NET 4.0.

Get from skydrive http://sdrv.ms/QsaP9Y
Old 2012-08-08, 02:36   #47
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(3,3^1118781+1)/3

100011000110112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
8/7/2012.... cautionary tale.....

Feedback from the EXPERTS has convinced me to clarify the best procedure for using mfaktXapp......

To ensure that mfaktXapp does not cause any data loss from worktodo.txt or results.txt it is best to stop mfakto/mfaktc
instances before ADDING, BALANCING or EXPORTING data using mfaktXapp. Although mfaktXapp handles file IO very carefully to
prevent data loss it is really secondary to mfaktX applications and could interfere if both applications perform IO at the
same time.

(script advocates just look away now....)
By using mfaktXapp instead of hand editing files you benefit from a repeatable process, quick changes and so much time saved
your computer will be able to spend more time doing Trial Factoring.

Scott
It's good to see that you don't use these fireworks anymore. A few more steps in that direction and you would sound like this. I'd like it very much if would appreciate that people skills is a two way street - you chose this tone of this conversation, not us.

Quote:
Batalov let me compile a special version just for you. I'll even do it in .NET 2.0 so you won't have any hesitation. I swear it won't contain anything that might improve your people skills.
Why .NET 2.0? The point was that .NET is altogether unnecessary for an implementation that would be correct, portable to any platform and non-destructive. The bicycle was already invented and tested: it is the worktodo.add files for (any) application to pick up when it is ready. If your program will gridlock mfaktc (by making worktodo.txt unavailable to it), mfaktc will stop and will be restarted only when a human will discover that - and less factoring will be done. Not more (as you are arguing), but instead significantly less. Compare this to a human adding a batch - obviously, the human is present at the terminal; if s/he will break something and see the program stopped he will curse and restart it right then.

The burden of writing daemons is much higher than writing, say, a sudoku implementation; it does have to be clean, and when people point your attention to this problem, they are actually helping you, not hurting you. Mind you, this toy problem is a good sandbox to develop the right attitude towards programming. If you chose to turn a deaf ear to the advice and instead say "don't like it, don't use it", then this is the type of the programmer you will likely turn out to be, and could cost you your distant future job, potentially. Seriously. It's not too late to fix this attitude - for yourself, not us. If you think that we are passionate about this program or need compilation help - and not your general attitude towards coding, then you are taking this program of yours way too seriously -- and your true learning path too lightly. Criticism is a form of help. An indifferent person won't criticize and won't help you find a problem.

And if you perceived this as an abuse, then you won't survive in any workplace for a week, man! This was just gentle poking. Lighten up! Read some Dilbert. (Dilbert in fact is not funny at all - it is the actual life! Well, almost.)

P.S. And to dot the i's, the ": caps lock :" (without spaces) is a standard warning feature of the forum - check it out - in the "Smilies [More]".
Old 2012-08-08, 12:36   #48
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

52×107 Posts

Jeez Batalov and chalsall, ease up will you. Yes he may have written a script that uses .NET and one that does not work perfectly but at least he is contributing something. Remember better is the enemy of good.

Carry on the good work swl.
Old 2012-08-08, 15:24   #49
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100010100111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Yes he may have written a script that uses .NET and one that does not work perfectly but at least he is contributing something. Remember better is the enemy of good.
Garo et al, please understand where Batalov and I are coming from -- we're professional programmers who have learnt the hard way just how pedantic and exact one has to be to do things correctly.

While swl551 should be commended for his efforts, the fundamental flaws in his software must be pointed out. Both to himself and to those who might choose to use it. We are not trying to discredit him or his software, but as Batalov points out, moving outside of the domain of a self-contained program to one that interacts with other software and its files introduces a level of complexity that many don't even know about.

Please remember that we put Dubslow through the same wringer. He's now the maintainer of CUDALucas.

At the end of the day, software is hard. Some companies have created development environments which makes it appear this is not so. It is an illusion; software is hard!

To use an analogy... There's a big difference between Lego and Meccano.

Interestingly, it's very difficult to buy Meccano nowadays....

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2012-08-08 at 15:33 Reason: s/same ringer/same wringer/
Old 2012-08-08, 16:49   #50
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63028 Posts

I left the ICT industry for something totally different 13 years ago because I found it progressively harder to resist the market-driven trend towards building things which were quick and easy at the expense of robustness and reliability.

Quick and dirty certainly has its place when you are knocking something together for your own private use. But not, I think, in something which you are distributing for others to use (even if it's for free as in this case).

Dealing with criticism of your hard work is incredibly hard. I always handled that badly. I experienced it as a personal attack. Even when it was constructive, well-meaning and full of sound advice as it is here.
Old 2012-08-08, 21:57   #51
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

80210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
...worktodo.add?
kracker, Can you explain worktodo.add in more detail. I have setup a worktodo.txt with one factor and a worktodo.add with 4 factors. mfaktc didn't do anything with the .ADD file. additionally I did not find anything in the mfaktc or mfakto readme files regarding worktodo.add.

any assistance is appreciated.

thx
Old 2012-08-08, 22:12   #52
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

IIRC, mfaktc has not done it yet, but I think mfakto has implemented it. Every so often it appends anything in .add to .txt (or that's what it's supposed to do).
Old 2012-08-08, 22:28   #53
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23·269 Posts

Quote:
kracker, Can you explain worktodo.add in more detail. I have setup a worktodo.txt with one factor and a worktodo.add with 4 factors. mfaktc didn't do anything with the .ADD file. additionally I did not find anything in the mfaktc or mfakto readme files regarding worktodo.add.

any assistance is appreciated.

thx
Since it is not best to edit worktodo.txt directly, mfakto has a worktodo.add, it simply dumps it into worktodo.txt every so often on the bottom(I think?) so you don't have to edit it.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:38   #54
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts

All,
Thanks for the info on worktodo.add. Very helpful.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:40   #55
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(3,3^1118781+1)/3

11×19×43 Posts

The idea was borrowed from Prime95, where George also must have pondered for a bit before making this design decision. It seems to have been a good one - it worked for years now within Prime95; time tested. Somewhere on the forum, there's probably a capsule of that change. Oliver "The Judger" can be easily convinced to add that to 0.19 (if he isn't already, which is distinct possibility; I simply have to admit that I haven't followed mfaktc thread lately.)
Closed Thread