mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2019-03-21, 09:57   #1
Thecmaster

"Arvid Björklin"
Apr 2016
Pitea, Sweden

73 Posts
Default Presentation

Hi. I'm a new member of GPU 72. I have just stared with mFaktc and got some awesome help from chalsall to get it going.
My name is Arvid I'm a gamer that just lives math and a bit of a nerd. I'm from Sweden.
I got in to gimps from Numberphile and computerphile videos on YouTube. I liked the hunt first. But my cpu at that time wasn't too good so I got away from gimps for a while. Later after some upgrades I got back to it and I now could use the PC while cranking numbers. So I started again with prime95.

I found some fun math here and also while reading about math got interested in gpu computing.

And here I am now. With both cpu and gpu cranking numbers while I'm at work.

/Arvid
Thecmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-21, 13:56   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

775710 Posts

I looked at your town's wikipedia page. It looks like their main export is NHL players. Welcome back to GIMPS. Have fun. Learn something, when you do share with others. Realize that some here speak rather directly and it may come across (unintentionally as rude.) [we do try to keep rude dudes out or under control.]

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-03-21 at 13:57
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-21, 14:19   #3
Thecmaster

"Arvid Björklin"
Apr 2016
Pitea, Sweden

73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post

I looked at your town's wikipedia page. It looks like their main export is NHL players. Welcome back to GIMPS. Have fun. Learn something, when you do share with others. Realize that some here speak rather directly and it may come across (unintentionally as rude.) [we do try to keep rude dudes out or under control.]
Yeah. We export some NHL players. Se also have Hanna Öberg that reasently got Gold in biathlon (ski shooting) and last year got Olympic gold.

I'm learning something every day. If I share everything I learn I can't do anything else but share what I learned. ;)
But right now I'm quite interested in modular arytmetics and trying to learn more about that. And also trying to get my brain to fully understand it.

No one have been rude to me. I'm amazed how willing to help and nice everyone I have got in contact with so far is. Even if someone (me,) asks stupid questions. English isn't my native language so sometimes things gets lost in translation.
Old 2019-03-21, 15:39   #4
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

2·683 Posts

Hi,
Welcome to the search!
It' s been a while since I joined and I still enjoy being part of it as much as in the first day.
The first PC I used in GIMPS was an Athlon. Can no longer recall the specs, but I'm sure it was a pretty decent machine for 2002 standards. The first exponent tested took me over 3 months - yes, I took a deep dive and chose a 10M digit number for starters. The exponent was 33276913, a really large one at the time.
After searching for primes for several years I changed the focus to factoring, in part due to GPUs entering the game. On CPUs I currently run ECM, and ocasionally some DCs, or PM1 factoring.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-21, 16:38   #5
Thecmaster

"Arvid Björklin"
Apr 2016
Pitea, Sweden

73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
Hi,
Welcome to the search!
It' s been a while since I joined and I still enjoy being part of it as much as in the first day.
The first PC I used in GIMPS was an Athlon. Can no longer recall the specs, but I'm sure it was a pretty decent machine for 2002 standards. The first exponent tested took me over 3 months - yes, I took a deep dive and chose a 10M digit number for starters. The exponent was 33276913, a really large one at the time.
After searching for primes for several years I changed the focus to factoring, in part due to GPUs entering the game. On CPUs I currently run ECM, and ocasionally some DCs, or PM1 factoring.
I'm right now more interested in DC but want to do some LL to. But I'm reading alot on this forum and both PM1 and ECM sounds interesting.
As I wrote I'm a gamer to. So I will probably never dedicate my main PC on gimps but when I gets some parts over I will make a server that probably will run gimps in some way all spare time.
I just wants to help with getting milestones further.
Old 2019-03-21, 20:03   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecmaster View Post
No one have been rude to me. I'm amazed how willing to help and nice everyone I have got in contact with so far is. Even if someone (me,) asks stupid questions.
As others have said, welcome.

Just so you know, this community is comprised of rather strong subscribers of the "scientific method". Sometimes discussions get a little heated, but it is never personal. People are encouraged to present new ideas or opposing positions, but have to be willing to accept constructive criticism.

It's a bit like the game of Rugby, where you try to maim your opponent on the field, and then go and buy each other beers and laugh about it.

Or, like the game of Go, where it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye....

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2019-03-21 at 20:06 Reason: s/looses/loses/;
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-22, 07:21   #7
Thecmaster

"Arvid Björklin"
Apr 2016
Pitea, Sweden

4916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
As others have said, welcome.

Just so you know, this community is comprised of rather strong subscribers of the "scientific method". Sometimes discussions get a little heated, but it is never personal. People are encouraged to present new ideas or opposing positions, but have to be willing to accept constructive criticism.

It's a bit like the game of Rugby, where you try to maim your opponent on the field, and then go and buy each other beers and laugh about it.

Or, like the game of Go, where it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye....
No worries about discussions. I'm new here but I'm not new to life.

I have seen some heated discussions on this forum but those I have seen have always ended in an agreement. Sometimes agreement to disagree but am agreement. That's a good thing for a community.

What amazes me was that whatever I needed help with someone took there time to give me an answer. I've been reading alot and maybe soon I can help others that need help tip get going. Or explain something thay don't understand yet. And maybe I will be able to give input or ideas to get gimps forward.
/Arvid