mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-02-12, 20:30   #1
Jean Penné
 
Jean Penné's Avatar
 
May 2004
FRANCE

52·23 Posts
Default llrCUDA version 3.8.3 is released!

Hi All,

I released now a new GPU version of the LLR program on my personal page : jpenne.free.fr

No much new feature, but some improvements related to reliability and speed.
- By default, all tests on base two numbers use Gerbicz error checking.
This is the case for PRP Fermat and SPRP tests as in Prime95 or Mprime,
but also for the deterministic prime tests of Proth numbers.

LLR tests on Riesel numbers are only done after a positive Fermat PRP result.
Also, if b==2, k==+1 and abs(c)==1, a random shift on the PRP base is done.
It is especially interesting for the prime test of Gaussian Mersenne norms.
Like the previous versions, this code is fully C and C++ written, no Assembler code.

Large numbers (at least 1 mega digits) benefit more from the GPU
parallelism, but this program may also be used on smaller positive
results for verification...

For more details, would you see the Readme.txt file.

Please, let me know if you have any problem to run the binary on Linux and/or to build it on your system.

I wish you many successes in prime hunting!
Best Regards,
Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 22:46   #2
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22×3×523 Posts
Default

Any plans for an OpenCL version? I can't run CUDA on AMD.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 23:16   #3
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

58B16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Penné View Post
Hi All,

I released now a new GPU version of the LLR program on my personal page : jpenne.free.fr

No much new feature, but some improvements related to reliability and speed.
- By default, all tests on base two numbers use Gerbicz error checking.
This is the case for PRP Fermat and SPRP tests as in Prime95 or Mprime,
but also for the deterministic prime tests of Proth numbers.

LLR tests on Riesel numbers are only done after a positive Fermat PRP result.
Also, if b==2, k==+1 and abs(c)==1, a random shift on the PRP base is done.
It is especially interesting for the prime test of Gaussian Mersenne norms.
Like the previous versions, this code is fully C and C++ written, no Assembler code.

Large numbers (at least 1 mega digits) benefit more from the GPU
parallelism, but this program may also be used on smaller positive
results for verification...

For more details, would you see the Readme.txt file.

Please, let me know if you have any problem to run the binary on Linux and/or to build it on your system.

I wish you many successes in prime hunting!
Best Regards,
Jean
Any timings, how fast or slow? I will try it but there is no binaries for windows...
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-13, 07:18   #4
Jean Penné
 
Jean Penné's Avatar
 
May 2004
FRANCE

52·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Any timings, how fast or slow? I will try it but there is no binaries for windows...
I cannot presently build this program on windows, but it is open source and any developper on a Windows 64 platform would be welcome.

Best Regards,
Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-15, 20:09   #5
Jean Penné
 
Jean Penné's Avatar
 
May 2004
FRANCE

52·23 Posts
Default llrCUDA version 3.8.3 Build 2 is released!

Hi All,

While Fermat testing k*b^n+c large numbers with c<0, and Gerbicz error checking activated, the final computation of the residue used a call to the invg() function in the giants.c code.
This code being CPU only, it is very time consuming for mega_digits numbers and so, its use must be avoided.

That is the only fix done in this new build of llrCUDA.

Would you excuse me for this drawback, and Best Regards,
Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-15, 21:05   #6
Trilo
 
Trilo's Avatar
 
"W. Byerly"
Aug 2013
1423*2^2179023-1

11001112 Posts
Default

Hi, I have a machine with 3 cards: 2x gtx1060 6gb and a 980 ti. How would I ensure that I can run LLRcuda instances on all 3 cards? Just run 3 instances of it?
Trilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-28, 15:28   #7
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

E2116 Posts
Default

If you have tried llrCuda out please post how well it does. How many AVX2 cores is it equivalent to on a top end nVidia card?
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-28, 15:56   #8
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009

35778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Penné View Post
I cannot presently build this program on windows, but it is open source and any developper on a Windows 64 platform would be welcome.

Best Regards,
Jean
What specific language would be required for a Windows 10 x64 build?
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 02:22   #9
Jeff Gilchrist
 
Jeff Gilchrist's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

22·293 Posts
Default

What kind of speedup should be expected using llrCUDA compared to using a CPU?

I just tried with a P100 GPU:

ABC$a*$b^$c$d
1 2 13377491 -31

Using complex rational base DWT and generic reduction, FFT length = 1867776, a = 3
2^13377491-31 is not prime. RES64: B7A37D7DABBAAC31. Time : -1614496548690.000 ms.

Some kind of bug with time output but it took about 38 hours to complete with the 1 P100 GPU so considerably slower than using a CPU unless I am doing something wrong. This is with beta2 ( Primality Testing of k*b^n+/-1 Program - GPU Version 3.8.3 ; linked with CUDA Version 8.0.44 ).
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-10, 20:32   #10
Jean Penné
 
Jean Penné's Avatar
 
May 2004
FRANCE

52·23 Posts
Default llrCUDA version 3.8.3 Build 3 is released!

Hi All,

When a too large round off error was encountered, the test was restarted from the beginning in "cufft only" mode, which was very penalizing about elapsed time.
I fixed that in this new build, so the restart is now from the last saved intermediate file.

Sorry for this drawback and Best Regards,

Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 18:10   #11
Jeff Gilchrist
 
Jeff Gilchrist's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

49416 Posts
Default

Just did another test using our latest PRP with beta3:

llrCUDA - GPU Version 3.8.3b3 ; linked with CUDA Version 8.0.44
2^13380298-27 is a Fermat Probable prime! (4027872 decimal digits) Time : 136632.210 sec.

By comparison using 4 threads on an Intel Core i7-6700K took (for base 3-Fermat PRP test): 12456.743 sec.

So the GPU version is running about 11 times slower. Is that what you would expect for speed with a fermat number like this? Are there specific types of numbers that should be a lot faster with the GPU code?

Last fiddled with by Jeff Gilchrist on 2021-03-12 at 18:11
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LLR Version 3.8.21 Released Jean Penné Software 26 2019-07-08 16:54
LLR Version 3.8.16 released Jean Penné Software 38 2015-12-10 07:31
LLR Version 3.8.15 released Jean Penné Software 28 2015-08-04 04:51
LLR Version 3.8.9 released Jean Penné Software 37 2013-10-31 08:45
llr 3.8.2 released as dev-version opyrt Prime Sierpinski Project 11 2010-11-18 18:24

All times are UTC. The time now is 04:50.

Mon Apr 12 04:50:47 UTC 2021 up 3 days, 23:31, 1 user, load averages: 1.59, 1.68, 1.80

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.