mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > EdH

Old 2020-12-07, 13:14   #100
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

1110011010002 Posts

Sorry to hear of this difficulty. bsquared will have to address it. I have not seen anything like this. It may help if you provide the CPU (lscpu), whether you are trying the "wip" or "trunk" version and the "make" command you used. If you are using the "wip" version, it needs gcc-7.3.0 or later (gcc --version). Unless this is an older version of linux, it probably meets this requirement. I probably need a note in the "How I. . ." about the gcc requirement, though.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-07, 15:26   #101
Plutie

Dec 2020
Montreal

24 Posts

My CPU is an i7-7700k, I'm building the `wip` source. I am using gcc 9.3.0.
Plutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-07, 20:31   #102
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23·461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutie View Post
My CPU is an i7-7700k, I'm building the `wip` source. I am using gcc 9.3.0.
Sorry this is taking a while. Perhaps bsquared is busy right now. The only thing I can think of ATM, is to try a clean install of the "trunk" version.
Old 2020-12-07, 21:14   #103
Plutie

Dec 2020
Montreal

24 Posts

That isn't working either, same error.

gcc -v output:
Code:
Using built-in specs. 
COLLECT_GCC=gcc 
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/lto-wrapper 
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu 
Configured with: /build/gcc/src/gcc/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=https://bugs.archlinux.org/ --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,go,lto,
objc,obj-c++,d --with-isl --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-cet=auto --enable-checking=release --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-default-pie --enable-default-ssp --enable-gnu-indirect-function --
enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-install-libiberty --enable-linker-build-id --enable-lto --enable-multilib --enable-plugin --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-libssp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libunwind-exceptions -
-disable-werror gdc_include_dir=/usr/include/dlang/gdc 
Thread model: posix 
Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd 
gcc version 10.2.0 (GCC)  
(base) [uwu@uwu yafu]$

Turns out I was mistaken about which GCC version I was using.

Last fiddled with by Plutie on 2020-12-07 at 21:19
Old 2020-12-07, 21:22   #104
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

22·23·37 Posts

Just now grabbed a snapshot of r395 (branches/wip) and put it in a clean new folder. Made sure INC, LIB, and CC lines are correct in the Makefile for the USE_AVX2 build path. Ran 'make USE_AVX2=1 NFS=1'. Everything worked fine.

The types of errors you are seeing... I'm not even sure how at the moment that could happen.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-07, 21:50   #105
Plutie

Dec 2020
Montreal

1016 Posts

That's interesting then. I have no clue what would cause this error. I will try recompiling all my dependencies, I'm hoping that may fix it.

edit: found a previous thread which was having this same issue, and they solved it by changing gcc versions. I will try that, and hopefully it'll fix.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23362

Last fiddled with by Plutie on 2020-12-07 at 21:53 Reason: linked to prev. thread
Old 2020-12-09, 01:06   #106
Gelly

May 2020

5·7 Posts

Having an identical issue with multiple definition of <INSERT VARIABLE HERE>. Seems to have some relation to msieve, as yafu.h is fighting with "factor/qs/msieve/lanczos.o" and "factor/nfs/snfs.o"

I changed the gcc version to gcc-7 (7.5.0), gcc-8 (8.4.0), gcc-9 (9.3.0), and the default gcc on Ubuntu 20.10 (10.2.0 - nifty pattern haha), all to no avail. Even tried g++ (also 10.2.0), with no changes.

I would think this is likely to be a problem with msieve somehow, although I'm not certain. I followed EdH's tutorials to a tee in the past (thanks, ed!), with no issues (except siqs segfaulting, but that's whatever).

Now, suddenly, this is leaving me unable to get yafu up and at em on the newest version of Ubuntu. If you need any more info from me regarding this, I'm happy to oblige.

Last fiddled with by Gelly on 2020-12-09 at 01:08 Reason: added snfs.o bein a little stinker
Gelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-09, 01:31   #107
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23×461 Posts

All of my currently running "farm" Ubuntu machinery is running 20.04, gcc 9.3.0, the latest revisions of msieve and Yafu "wip" and are running up to 24/7 for half of them without any issues. I think the segfault issue was addressed and dealt with, if memory serves. I may have had to do a fresh install on a couple machines, but I think I just used make clean, svn up and make NFS=1, etc for most.

As a test, I just tried everything again on one of my Ubuntu machines and it compiled fine with the above mentioned details.
Old 2020-12-09, 13:08   #108
Plutie

Dec 2020
Montreal

24 Posts

update: I've attempted building with both gcc7 and gcc9, and as was said by Gelly, the errors are still there. Full error log below:

Code:
gcc-7 -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall  -I. -Iinclude -Itop/aprcl -Itop/ -I../msieve/zlib -I../gmp/include -I../ecm/include/ factor/qs/msieve/lanczos.o factor/qs/msieve/lanczos_matmul0.o factor/qs/msieve/lanczos_matmul1.o factor/qs/msi
eve/lanczos_matmul2.o factor/qs/msieve/lanczos_pre.o factor/qs/msieve/sqrt.o factor/qs/msieve/savefile.o factor/qs/msieve/gf2.o top/driver.o top/utils.o top/stack.o top/calc.o top/test.o top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o factor/factor_common.o fact
or/rho.o factor/squfof.o factor/trialdiv.o factor/tune.o factor/qs/filter.o factor/qs/tdiv.o factor/qs/tdiv_small.o factor/qs/tdiv_large.o factor/qs/large_sieve.o factor/qs/new_poly.o factor/qs/siqs_test.o factor/tinyqs/tinySIQS.o facto
r/qs/siqs_aux.o factor/qs/smallmpqs.o factor/qs/SIQS.o factor/qs/med_sieve_32k.o factor/qs/poly_roots_32k.o factor/gmp-ecm/ecm.o factor/gmp-ecm/pp1.o factor/gmp-ecm/pm1.o factor/gmp-ecm/tinyecm.o factor/gmp-ecm/microecm.o factor/nfs/nfs
.o arith/arith0.o arith/arith1.o arith/arith2.o arith/arith3.o arith/monty.o top/eratosthenes/presieve.o top/eratosthenes/count.o top/eratosthenes/offsets.o top/eratosthenes/primes.o top/eratosthenes/roots.o top/eratosthenes/linesieve.o
 top/eratosthenes/soe.o top/eratosthenes/tiny.o top/eratosthenes/worker.o top/eratosthenes/soe_util.o top/eratosthenes/wrapper.o top/threadpool.o top/queue.o factor/prime_sieve.o factor/batch_factor.o factor/qs/cofactorize_siqs.o factor
/avx-ecm/avxecm.o factor/avx-ecm/avx_ecm_main.o factor/avx-ecm/vec_common.o factor/avx-ecm/vecarith.o factor/avx-ecm/vecarith52.o factor/qs/tdiv_scan.o factor/qs/update_poly_roots_32k.o factor/qs/tdiv_med_32k.o factor/qs/tdiv_resieve_32
k.o  -o yafu -L../gmp/lib/ -L../ecm/lib/ -lecm -lgmp -lpthread -lm -ldl 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `allocate_vars': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:218: multiple definition of `allocate_vars'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1482: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `free_vars': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:252: multiple definition of `free_vars'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1516: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `CompareSquare': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:290: multiple definition of `CompareSquare'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1554: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `NormalizeJS': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:307: multiple definition of `NormalizeJS'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1571: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `NormalizeJW': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:332: multiple definition of `NormalizeJW'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1596: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `JS_JW': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:359: multiple definition of `JS_JW'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1623: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `JS_2': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:387: multiple definition of `JS_2'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1651: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `JS_E': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:422: multiple definition of `JS_E'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1686: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `JacobiSum': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:460: multiple definition of `JacobiSum'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1724: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o): in function `mpz_aprtcle': 
/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:485: multiple definition of `mpz_aprtcle'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1757: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:94: multiple definition of `LEVELmax'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1358: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:185: multiple definition of `aiT'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1449: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:181: multiple definition of `aiNQ'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1445: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:100: multiple definition of `aiQ'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1364: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:178: multiple definition of `aiNP'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1442: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:97: multiple definition of `aiP'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1361: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:155: multiple definition of `aiG'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1419: first defined here 
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libecm.a(libecm_la-mpz_aprcl.o):/home/uwu/Math/ecm/aprtcle/mpz_aprcl.c:90: multiple definition of `Qmax'; top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.o:/home/uwu/Math/yafu/top/aprcl/mpz_aprcl.c:1354: first defined here 
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status 
make: *** [Makefile:397: all] Error 1
In this case, it seems to be clashing with an ECM library.

Last fiddled with by Plutie on 2020-12-09 at 13:09 Reason: info added
Old 2020-12-09, 13:46   #109
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23·461 Posts

Just curious, is this from a fresh install, or are you using "make clean" in between attempts?

And, are you sure it's calling the alternate gcc rather than defaulting back to 10?

I wonder if an earlier gcc being installed after 10, would still be using a newer library instead of the earlier one that was out then.

Maybe this is where the flag Curtis suggested looking for* might be of use, if it exists, until b2 works out all the changes.

* This was posted in a different thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis
If there's a flag that "defaults to -fno-common", can't we (well, you) just set that flag the opposite way at compile time?
Old 2020-12-09, 15:42   #110
Plutie

Dec 2020
Montreal

24 Posts

I have tried with both make clean and fresh download. I set the GCC in the makefile to specifically gcc-7.