mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2022-06-09, 12:36   #56
BigNumberGuy

May 2022

1516 Posts

wow they finally added t70-80
also how do i know if im doing "new" method or "old" method?

Last fiddled with by BigNumberGuy on 2022-06-09 at 12:37 Reason: added a question
BigNumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 14:04   #57
Gordon

Nov 2008

509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post

[snip]

It's in your best interest to use the -maxmem option, unless you have 30+GB available for GMP-ECM.
That amount of memory won't help, gmp-ecm crashes and burns when it tries to use more than 16gb of ram, I've posted on this several times, nobody has ever replied.

This on a PC with 64gb of ram.

It'll happily use up to about 15gb, when it needs to go over that it asks for another 4gb and that's when it fails.

Last fiddled with by Gordon on 2022-06-09 at 14:24
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 14:35   #58
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

1,949 Posts

This thread has been split off from the About M1277 thread.

There are some good questions in this thread.

It would be useful to readers if those of you that are new to ECM factoring or GMP-ECM showed a little more humility and gratitude for prior work done.

It would be useful to readers if the experts/"experienced users" showed a little more patience with the newbies.

Last fiddled with by masser on 2022-06-09 at 15:21
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 15:56   #59
chris2be8

Sep 2009

3×11×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
That amount of memory won't help, gmp-ecm crashes and burns when it tries to use more than 16gb of ram, I've posted on this several times, nobody has ever replied.

It'll happily use up to about 15gb, when it needs to go over that it asks for another 4gb and that's when it fails.
This sounds like a hardware problem. First try clearing dust etc out of it and check cooling is OK. Then run memtest86 to check the RAM is OK. Try it both single threaded and multi-threaded (I have one old PC where single threaded is OK but multi-threaded causes it to crash).

If it passes hardware tests see if you can set up temperature etc monitoring to run alongside ECM.
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 16:07   #60
chris2be8

Sep 2009

3·11·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Per the man page link posted earlier, it appears that of the listed gmp-ecm authors, Jim Fougeron has been most involved with input parsing, and so is likely the best qualified to make such changes. I've sent him an email ~4 hours ago, including links to this thread and a specific post and the download mirror for GIMPS software, and suggesting that for gmp-ecm,

1. its readme.txt be updated, or a link to an online man page be included in the readme.txt, or a man page copy be included in distributions including Windows distributions of gmp-ecm;
  2. its B1 command line input parsing and error /warning output for exceptional B1 input be reexamined;
  3. the mersenne.ca download mirror be updated occasionally (with direct contact info for James Heinrich provided to Jim F)
I've not received either a bounce message or a response but it's early yet, and he's under no obligation to reply.
The man page is shipped with ECM in ecm.1 but it's not in a format that's easy for a human to read. A copy that looks like output from man ecm in plain text would be helpful.
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 16:24   #61
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

11011110010112 Posts

(NOTE: NONE of my posts re gmp-ecm should be regarded as disparagement or complaint. Common in use of software is to report observations of unexpected behavior. Either a user error is discovered, or sometimes a possible way to improve the software. Sometimes software is correct and the user's understanding is incorrect. Sometimes software function is incorrect or suboptimal. Sometimes software is suitable for some purposes and not all purposes we might wish it to be. A purpose for this forum is to help users reach productive use.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
-c 20 20 curves
-one relating to handling of a save file; if the -one option was given and a factor was found, the remaining consecutive lines for that number will be skipped. So its presence without [B]-resume[/B] present seems to me a non sequitur, though probably harmless.
The man page (loop mode section) makes clear that this combination is legitimate. Apologies to Storm5510.

Although one might get the impression from 2016 or older downloads of prebuilt executables such as at http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/factoring/index.html that gmp-ecm is no longer being maintained, or following its "official GMP-ECM project link" http://gforge.inria.fr/projects/ecm/ and getting a 403 error, or from https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann...ecm/devel.html showing nothing newer than 2016, I think https://gitlab.inria.fr/zimmerma/ecm is the source repository and it appears active and modified quite recently (days or weeks not years for the newest changes).
Its readme begins with "[note: this file is outdated now that GMP-ECM moved to gitlab.]"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
The man page is shipped with ECM in ecm.1 but it's not in a format that's easy for a human to read. A copy that looks like output from man ecm in plain text would be helpful.
Especially for Windows users of gmp-ecm. (As stated earlier, some zip files distributed for Windows gpm-ecm did not contain ecm.1, or a readable version of the man page, or a link to an online man page. Some didn't even contain the readme.txt or any source. Just an exe.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-06-09 at 16:31
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 16:40   #62
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post

I assure you this is not a software limitation- I've had half a dozen machines routinely use much more than 16GB with GMP-ECM without trouble. That makes your problem quite hard to reproduce for a developer, and leads folks to suggest there's a problem with your machine rather than with the software (as I have just done).
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 18:30   #63
Gordon

Nov 2008

509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
This sounds like a hardware problem. First try clearing dust etc out of it and check cooling is OK. Then run memtest86 to check the RAM is OK. Try it both single threaded and multi-threaded (I have one old PC where single threaded is OK but multi-threaded causes it to crash).

If it passes hardware tests see if you can set up temperature etc monitoring to run alongside ECM.
Doubt that it's hardware, the machine has 4 x 16Gb sticks in, and gmp-ecm is the ONLY software that blows up when requesting more memory...

...and ONLY when it tries to grab more than 16 Gb.

Quite happy that cooling is ok, see attached.

I can run memtest86 anyway though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempisok.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	26993  
Old 2022-06-09, 18:33   #64
Gordon

Nov 2008

50910 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I assure you this is not a software limitation- I've had half a dozen machines routinely use much more than 16GB with GMP-ECM without trouble. That makes your problem quite hard to reproduce for a developer, and leads folks to suggest there's a problem with your machine rather than with the software (as I have just done).
As per my previous message, it is the only s/w that has this problem. I'll do a clean boot (Win 7 Pro), shut down every bit of s/w except gmp-ecm, set it running such that it'll need at least 32 gig of ram then screen cap the failure - again
Old 2022-06-09, 18:45   #65
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

5·1,423 Posts

Win 7 Pro SHOULD handle > 16GB process size; maybe check your page file settings & size as a precaution, and state exactly what version of gmp-ecm you're running (ideally with download link), command line etc to reproduce the problem on your system. I have some Win7 Pro installs I could try it on someday as a comparison.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ndows-releases

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-06-09 at 18:45
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-13, 23:00   #66
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

1001010101112 Posts

This past Saturday, I sent Paul Zimmerman an email asking for a clarification regarding the usage of expressions in setting a B1 value in GMP-ECM. Below is his reply which I received today:

Quote:
Indeed the B1 value might be of the form B1min-B1, and this is not properly
documented. I have added the following in the README file of the development
version:

"Scientific notation is accepted for B1 and B2 values. The B1 value might be
of the form B1min-B1, in which case primes up to B1min are skipped, for
example with 1e6-1e9, primes up to 10^6 are skipped. The actual B2 value
used may be larger than the specified value to let parameters satisfy some
conditions imposed by the stage 2 algorithm."

Best regards,
Paul
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote