Old 2013-04-17, 05:15   #34
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·132·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyb View Post
NB: I always read "Hatsue" as having 3 syllables (thereby destroying your rhyme scheme, quite apart from the syllable count), though I can't remember if it explicitly says anything about that in the book.
Note I don't feel overly constrained by proper pronunciation when faced with a tricky rhyming construction, either. :)

Since the story is set near the US?Canada border, perhaps we could use a mock-Canadian "bless you, eh!" to evoke a sneeze.

Anyhoo, tomorrow it's on to Batalov's beloved Trainspotting. Looking forward to that - that should have plenty of the kind of playing-with-words I really enjoy.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 06:01   #35
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·4,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Anyhoo, tomorrow it's on to Batalov's beloved Trainspotting. Looking forward to that - that should have plenty of the kind of playing-with-words I really enjoy.
Get some ibuprofen ...or better yet vicodin. You are gonna need it after ten pages.

On the topic of "I can stand more pain than you" game, here's a ladder of excruciating films to watch:
"Monanieba"
"Ôdishon"
"Oldeuboi"
"Irréversible" (if you can get the correct setting for your 5.1 audio, like the director intended. Hint: you need the bass available down to 5-15Hz)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 20:47   #36
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

266158 Posts

After what I consider a valiant attempt, I set aside Anna Karenina at roughly the 2/3 mark ... indeed, the soap-operatic nature of the thing became simply too much. Unsure if I'll ever try to step back in.

Now reading Dracula for the first time, believe it or not - seen all the popular movie versions, never actually went to the source.

No "Faits erronés" to report yet (just one single misspelled word - or better, an instance of wrong-homophone-usage, not worth detailing).

Interesting find: the word "aught" can mean "all" or "none" - the latter usage is app. result of an erroneous first-letter-less misuse of "naught" which somehow crept into not-uncommon usage. Context is "would creed aught" = "would believe anything", where it is used in the "correct" way - looking it up led me the alternate opposite usage. Bizarre.

p.s.: A word which has highly disparate historical usages and is of greater relevance to the above story is of course 'sanguine', in relation to personal temperament. Modern usage is generally the cheerful/optimistic one, but of course it can also mean literally 'bloodthirsty'. Wonder how we got from the latter to the former meaning. "The vampire became quite cheerfully optimistic whenever he thought of his next blood meal", perhaps?

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2013-06-15 at 21:27
Old 2013-06-16, 00:12   #37
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
After what I consider a valiant attempt, I set aside Anna Karenina at roughly the 2/3 mark ... indeed, the soap-operatic nature of the thing became simply too much. Unsure if I'll ever try to step back in.
You couldn't wait for her to throw herself under a train?
You must have a limited attention span!

D
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 00:18   #38
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

To be able to finish Anna Karenina it helps to be stuck on a tech job in sub-zero Pennsylvania with no car and problems getting paid by your employer.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 00:28   #39
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1002510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
To be able to finish Anna Karenina it helps to be stuck on a tech job in sub-zero Pennsylvania with no car and problems getting paid by your employer.
I once worked at a job working graveyard shift (one week of it) supporting an industrial process (I did the lab work), the process was down for several of the days. I read 2001 and most of another book. I also learn a lot about our VAX system.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-19, 01:08   #40
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3×132×23 Posts

Quote:
The Moral Urgency Of Anna Karenina | Commentary Magazine
Quote:
Tolstoy is always showing us this truth: We do not see the world, we overlook it. He wants to re-educate us to perceive the world differently, so that we are capable of understanding what passes before our eyes hidden in plain view.

V. Tiny Alterations

In an essay about War and Peace, Tolstoy evokes the image of a man seeing nothing but treetops on a distant hill and concluding fallaciously that the hill contains nothing but trees. Of course, had the man actually visited the hill and seen it up close, countless houses and people might have presented themselves. In much the same way, historians conclude that in bygone times only dramatic events were taking place since those are the only ones people bother to record. In short, we tend to think of life as consisting primarily of noticeable events precisely because those are the ones we notice.

In Tolstoy’s opinion, that view is precisely wrong. Life consists primarily of the countless ordinary events that are always occurring. In one of his later essays, he retells the story of the painter Bryullov, who corrected a student’s sketch. “Why you only changed it a tiny bit, but it is quite a different thing,” the student exclaimed. Bryullov replied: “Art begins where that ‘tiny bit’ begins.”

Tolstoy explains:
[i]
That saying is strikingly true not only of art but of all life. One may say that true life begins where the tiny bit begins—where what seem to us minute and infinitesimally small changes occur. True life is not lived where great external changes take place—where people move about, clash, fight, and slay one another—it is lived only where these tiny, tiny, infinitesimally small changes occur.[i]
Thusly chastened, I have resolved to again pick up AK and finish it this time around.