Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Operazione Doppi Mersennes

Old 2012-09-17, 08:40   #12
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

2×283 Posts
Smile

Luigi, I would like to complement you for the design of the website. It is very, very fine. You have done a great job in a very short time.

I have been comparing the information we can find on the website for the project Operation Billion Digits and most of it we can also find in the DMPS (Double Mersenne Prime Search) website. If we look at the wider scoop I think it is a good idea to collect all information available on all Double Mersennes, not only the 4 covered by the mmff program. If you think it is accurate then I have on my wishlist:

1. A list, maybe as a part of the history section of all factors found and persons who have found them and date, like in OBD. Yes I know that you can find them on Will Edgingtons page.

2. I like lavalamps graph in OBD because it gives a fast visual of the different exponets and how far they have been trial factored, maybe we can have a similar graph for all Double Mersennes and how far they are TFed using the bit-levels and/or the k-values. In this case we may need two (exponential?) graphs one for the bit-levels and one for the k-values. Maybe even lavalamp would like to help us with that?

3. And maybe we should have a credits system with a calculation of the GHz-Days for each effort? (for us who are kids and like things like that! ;-)

Last fiddled with by aketilander on 2012-09-17 at 08:46
aketilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 10:10   #13
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010110111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aketilander View Post
Luigi, I would like to complement you for the design of the website. It is very, very fine. You have done a great job in a very short time.

I have been comparing the information we can find on the website for the project Operation Billion Digits and most of it we can also find in the DMPS (Double Mersenne Prime Search) website. If we look at the wider scoop I think it is a good idea to collect all information available on all Double Mersennes, not only the 4 covered by the mmff program. If you think it is accurate then I have on my wishlist:

1. A list, maybe as a part of the history section of all factors found and persons who have found them and date, like in OBD. Yes I know that you can find them on Will Edgingtons page.

2. I like lavalamps graph in OBD because it gives a fast visual of the different exponets and how far they have been trial factored, maybe we can have a similar graph for all Double Mersennes and how far they are TFed using the bit-levels and/or the k-values. In this case we may need two (exponential?) graphs one for the bit-levels and one for the k-values. Maybe even lavalamp would like to help us with that?

3. And maybe we should have a credits system with a calculation of the GHz-Days for each effort? (for us who are kids and like things like that! ;-)
Thank you very much for your appreciation

1 - In my original view, the history section should contain what you just asked for. Then, I decided to open the "History" thread just to be sure that everybody agree, and to look for new ideas/links/infos from the "Mersennites".
A new History page will soon be added to the site.

2 - Graphs. It would be easy to add them, no problem. I dedicated my free time to build a basic reservation system, to test insertions and check displays. Now that the first "wave" of new users stopped, I will gladly work on it.

3 - Credit system. I asked George about it just before mmff2.0 was released, to be ready to add some nice and spicy number to the site. He answered he had just crossed out the idea, so I have no way to compare different ranges and exponents done on different platforms. The system is ready for a credit system, we only have to decide how to implement it.

The discussion is open.

Luigi

Last fiddled with by ET_ on 2012-09-17 at 10:13
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 18:29   #14
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

23616 Posts
Default Article of interest for the history page concerning MM127

I. J. Good. Conjectures concerning the Mersenne numbers. Mathematics of Computation vol. 9 (1955) p. 120-121

Last fiddled with by aketilander on 2012-09-18 at 18:31
Old 2012-09-19, 07:51   #15
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

11·439 Posts

Thank you, I will insert it in the links' page.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 13:11   #16
aketilander

"Åke Tilander"
Apr 2011
Sandviken, Sweden

2×283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Thank you, I will insert it in the links' page.

Luigi
It would be nice to have Catalans original work on the conjecture as well. In the journal "Nouvelle correspondance mathématique" vol. 2 (1876), p. 94-96 There is an article named "Questions proposées" probably collected by the editor. Almost all of the questions are signed by Édouard Lucas as is number 92: "Prouver que 261 - 1 et 2127 - 1 sont des nombres premiers. (É. L.) (*)." The footnote (indicated by the star) written by the editor Eugène Catalan, is as follows: "(*) Si l'on admet ces deux propositions, et si l'on observe que 22 - 1, 23 - 1, 27 - 1 sont aussi des nombres premiers, on a ce théorème empirique:

Jusqu'à une certaine limite, si 2n - 1 est un nombre premiere p, 2p - 1 est une nombre premiere p', 2p' - 1 est une nombre premiere p'', etc.

Cette proposition a quelque analogie avec le théorème suviant, énoncé par Fermat, et dont Euler a montré l'inexactitude:

Si n est une puissance de 2, 2n + 1 est une nombre premiere. (E. C.)"

Link to the pdf of the article: http://archive.org/stream/nouvelleco.../n353/mode/2up