cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

170148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
??
I'm asking joblack to expand upon his comment. It's too cryptic for me to decide which interpretation (I can imagine more than one) is meant.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 12:27   #13
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

276410 Posts

Thanks for the explanation Uncwilly.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 11:33   #14
Freightyard

Nov 2008
San Luis Obispo CA

27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
it's really quite surprising that *only* 100,000 have signed up for GIMPS. Suppose we could swell that number even just by a factor of 10...
But then my "rank" might go down with all the competition!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morseman View Post
...my rational is deeply rooted in the saving money part of energy efficiency rather than the 'save the planet' bit..
So, you're a bean-counter, not an eco-tard, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I propose a different twist on this...we need to tell people that if they are going to leave their PC on all night anyway, at least have it doing something useful ...
Slap an Obama screen saver on prime95 and tell people Barry needs their spare CPU cycles to calculate the national deficit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I'm asking joblack to expand upon his comment. It's too cryptic for me to decide which interpretation (I can imagine more than one) is meant.
My take: How do you best guarantee there will always be plentiful fresh food in your refrigerator? Eat it as fast as you can.
Freightyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 21:12   #15
flouran

Dec 2008

72·17 Posts

I think that we should try and do our part in helping the environment. Yes, it is necessary to leave computers on all night for prime crunching, but we can (somehow) be *more* energy efficient. How that will happen, I have no freaking clue (perhaps have an energy efficient computer? lol). But seriously, that news article should be somewhat of a wake-up call, and I think this thread would be a great place for discussion/brainstorm on how to save more energy (w/o turning off our computers of course); hell, in this economy, it would be great to save a few bucks!

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-05-03 at 21:13
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 03:14   #16
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts
Default At the least...

...you can switch your peripherals off. Monitors, printers, external drives, speakers, modems, etc. etc. are not needed for prime-crunching, after all.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 10:52   #17
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·11·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
I think that we should try and do our part in helping the environment. Yes, it is necessary to leave computers on all night for prime crunching, but we can (somehow) be *more* energy efficient. How that will happen, I have no freaking clue (perhaps have an energy efficient computer? lol). But seriously, that news article should be somewhat of a wake-up call, and I think this thread would be a great place for discussion/brainstorm on how to save more energy (w/o turning off our computers of course); hell, in this economy, it would be great to save a few bucks!
You also live in an environment where it can be cold in winter. (Over here, it can be distinctly cool even in summer.)

Suggestion: turn crunching into a seasonal activity. Use lots of computers as fan heaters when you need heating but relatively few when you don't.

That's been my approach for years.

The Microsoft Research lab in Cambridge was designed to re-use otherwise waste heat from people and machines to keep the building warm. Very little additional heating is required, other than in corner offices where there are two exterior walls, and then only when the weather is particularly chilly.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 15:52   #18
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The Microsoft Research lab in Cambridge was designed to re-use otherwise waste heat from people and machines to keep the building warm. Very little additional heating is required, other than in corner offices where there are two exterior walls, and then only when the weather is particularly chilly.
Reminds me of a building where I used to work. After one winter weekend when the outside temperature dipped into the twenties-below-zero-F, we came to work Monday morning to find interior temperatures in the eighties/nineties F. The water-tower cooling system had frozen because it had insufficient antifreeze, we were told, and the heat from idling terminals and Tandem mainframes inside had built up.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote