mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-08-25, 12:41   #1409
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·32·139 Posts
Default I swear to God I am not making this up...

Cindy Johansen, wife of Maine state Rep. Chris Johansen (R-Monticello), died of COVID on August 10. She was an anti vaxxer, and her husband (now widower) still is.

On August 17, he attended an anti vax rally in the state capital, Augusta. State Representative Heidi Sampson spoke at the rally. She equated Governor Mills to Josef Mengele for mandating that health care workers get COVID vaccines. She said that those implementing vaccine mandates could be executed.

She had previously spoken at a July 27 "Arise USA" rally in Belfast (Maine), spouting lies about COVID and demanding a "forensic audit" of the 2020 election results in Maine.

One of the rally's organizers was Robert David Steele, who claims, among other things, that NASA is transporting children to become sex slaves in colonies on Mars. He also has a long record of making statements to the effect that "Zionists" planned the Holocaust, and control Hollywood, the media, etc.

Because of this, 53 Maine legislators signed a letter condemning antisemitism, the rally, and and Rep. Sampson's participation in it.

EDIT: Update:

QAnon conspiracy theorist who organized far-right Belfast event dies of COVID-19
Quote:
The conspiracy theorist who organized a far-right event calling for an audit of Maine's 2020 election results in Belfast last month has died from COVID-19.

Robert David Steele, a former CIA officer turned promoter of far-right QAnon conspiracy theories, was hospitalized earlier this month after he began displaying symptoms of COVID-19, according to Vice News.

"I will not take the vaccination, though I did test positive for whatever they're calling 'COVID' today, but the bottom line is that my lungs are not functioning," Steele wrote in an Aug. 17 blog post.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-08-31 at 16:40 Reason: xignif ostpy; update
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-26, 14:07   #1410
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×32×139 Posts

An acquaintance recently suggested I look up a "Dr. Gold" when I mentioned ivermectin being touted as a treatment for COVID.

I did. I found Dr. Simone Gold (née Tizes), founder of "America's Frontline doctors," an organization devoted to telling lies about COVID, e.g. that hydroxychloroquine (not ivermectin) is a cure, that COVID vaccines will make you test positive for COVID forever, etc. She was front and center in a July 2020 video in front of the US Supreme Court spouting these lies. When the hospitals employing her in their Emergency Departments saw the video, they fired her.

I also found an interesting tidbit here:
Quote:
Gold is a licensed doctor in California, although it appears that she most recently ran a concierge medical business, which she described on her website as working "the same way as a highly effective Fortune 100 CEO." Her website says Gold "reads the latest research, consults with the foremost experts, and examines the scientific literature" to provide "very high quality CEO-level information to her client-patients."

However, in April, as the COVID-19 pandemic spread across the U.S., Gold stood outside the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles wearing a white coat embroidered with her name above the words "Emergency Dept." and recorded videos about her "experience practicing emergency medicine in this era of the COVID-19 crisis."

In one video she claimed "the emergency department volume is down." In another video in front of the hospital, she reported that, "we have been very successful at flattening the curve."

But Gold has never worked at the hospital. In fact, the only time she was affiliated in any way with Cedars-Sinai was when she worked on a per-diem basis in a Cedars-Sinai Medical Network urgent care clinic for less than three weeks in 2015, Sally Stewart, a spokeswoman for Cedars-Sinai told FactCheck.org in an email.
She has also had a book published by Simon & Schuster, I Do Not Consent.

I did some routine checking. It took very little time to find the web site of the California State Medical board and do a license verification.

Dr. Simone Gold is currently licensed to practice medicine in the State of California. (MD, University of Chicago, 1989).

I was also able to determine that she (Simone Tizes) completed a residency in Emergency Medicine at Stony Brook in 1997.

I was, however unable to verify her claim (in the survey info in her California medical license information, and also in "About the Author" at Simon & Schuster) that she is board certified in emergency medicine. I visited certificationmatters.org and did searches for a doctor with first name simone and last name gold, with California in the STATE field and Emergency Medicine in the SPECIALTY field. I also searched with one or both of these fields unspecified. I also tried the searches using the first name simone and last name tizes (her maiden name). All searches ended with "No results found."

Also, in the "About the Author" she claims to be "FABEM." The ABEM is the American Board of Emergency Medicine, the Board in "board certified." As far as I have been able to determine, there is no such thing as "FABEM" which, presumably, would be "Fellow of the ABEM" or something similar.

I did find an academic ABEM fellowship at the National Academy (formerly Institute) of Medicine, but that's not it.

I did however find "Simone Gold, MD FAAEM" (Fellow of the AAEM, American Academy of Emergency Medicine) in the 2005-2008 "Recognition Given to Foundation Donors" list in the November-December 2008 issue of their newsletter Common Sense. You have to be board certified to be FAAEM. So she must have been board certified some time during the period 2005-2008. She was not on the donors list in the March-April 2009 issue.

Certification by ABEM used to be good for ten years, but, as of Spring 2021, you have to recertify every five years.

My best guess is she got ABEM certified in Emergency Medicine soon after completing her residency in 1997 (possibly still as Simone Tizes), but then allowed it to lapse.

EDIT: I finally got the goods from ABEM. I had to look up her birth date for the ABEM "verify certification." I tried first name simone, last name gold, birth date. Physician not found. Then I tried first name simone, last name tizes, birth date. Score!
Quote:
Physician Certification Details

The name and information provided below indicates only those certificates awarded by ABEM as of August 26, 2021. All certification information is drawn directly from our certification database and is updated quarterly.

Tizes, Simone Melissa
Beverly Hills, CA

Specialized In Emergency Medicine

Cert Number 26449

Certification Dates 11/15/2010-12/31/2020

Meeting the Requirements of MOC No
In that last line, "MOC" means "Maintenance of Certification." The "No" means her certification has lapsed. This is also indicated by the past tense in "Specialized."

I assume the searches at certificationmatters.org came up empty because her certification isn't current.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-08-26 at 15:30 Reason: xinfig posty and as indicated
Old 2021-08-27, 13:37   #1411
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×32×139 Posts

It seems that the COVID pandemic has given rise to a swarm of parasites here in the US.

There are the professional liars and opportunists who deliberately misinform people about the disease itself, the available preventative vaccines, prophylactic measures such as masks and hand sanitizers, and treatments. These parasites are seeking the money of the gullible, and, in some cases, political power.

There are many deluded souls who believe the lies, and refuse to avail themselves of preventative measures. When surprise surprise, they get COVID, they rely on snake-oil "cures" like vitamin and mineral supplements, aspirin, hydroxychloroquine, and ivermectin.

And when they don't work, and the patient is hospitalized, the next wave of parasitism sets in. People left to deal with huge hospital bills, funeral costs, household expenses, etc - all of which would very, very likely not have been incurred if the person had gotten vaccinated - then become beggars. They set up a GoFundMe page because a wonderful, wonderful person replaced facts with a lunatic ideology...
Old 2021-08-27, 14:34   #1412
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

7×13×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
There are many deluded souls who believe the lies, and refuse to avail themselves of preventative measures. When surprise surprise, they get COVID, they rely on snake-oil "cures" like vitamin and mineral supplements, aspirin, hydroxychloroquine, and ivermectin.
The snake-oil sales pitch "works" because many people that catch COVID will recover just fine. The population's knowledge of medicine and statistics is too poor to distinguish between placebos and actual treatments with proven track records.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-27, 17:49   #1413
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

2A816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It seems that the COVID pandemic has given rise to a swarm of parasites here in the US.

There are the professional liars and opportunists who deliberately misinform people [...]
If only it wasn't so predictable...
mart_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-27, 21:35   #1414
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

233518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_r View Post
If only it wasn't so predictable...
Indeed. Lots of "prior art".

Machiavelli and Sun are just two ancient documents published on this subject domain.

Empirically, humans don't scale well.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-30, 00:58   #1415
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·32·139 Posts

It seems like prominent anti vaxxers have been dropping like flies from COVID lately, often after having pinned their hopes on vitamin and mineral supplements, aspirin, and ivermectin as a "cure."

It brought to mind the following quotation:
Quote:
Whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad.
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Masque of Pandora

A bit of digging turned up a predecessor, from a play first performed in 441 BC, and which indicates the idea was already old. One translation is as follows:
Quote:
See how that hope whose wanderings are so wide
truly is a benefit to many men,
but to an equal number it is a false lure of light-headed desires.
The deception comes to one who is wholly unawares
until he burns his foot on a hot fire.
For with wisdom did someone once reveal
the maxim, now famous,
that evil at one time or another seems good,
to him whose mind
a god leads to ruin.
But for the briefest moment
such a man fares free of destruction.
-- Sophocles, Antigone
Old 2021-09-07, 15:56   #1416
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

500410 Posts

Idaho enacts crisis hospital care standards amid COVID surge
Quote:
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Idaho public health leaders activated "crisis standards of care" for the state's northern hospitals because there are more coronavirus patients than the institutions can handle.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare quietly enacted the move Monday and publicly announced it in a statement Tuesday morning - warning residents that they may not get the care they would normally expect if they need to be hospitalized.
<snip>
The move allows hospitals to allot scarce resources like intensive care unit rooms to patients most likely to survive.

Other patients will still receive care, but they may be placed in hospital classrooms or conference rooms rather than traditional hospital rooms or go without some life-saving medical equipment.

"Crisis standards of care is a last resort. It means we have exhausted our resources to the point that our healthcare systems are unable to provide the treatment and care we expect," Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Director Dave Jeppesen said in a statement.

He added: "This is a decision I was fervently hoping to avoid. The best tools we have to turn this around is for more people to get vaccinated and to wear masks indoors and in outdoor crowded public places. Please choose to get vaccinated as soon as possible - it is your very best protection against being hospitalized from COVID-19."
Old 2021-09-08, 00:27   #1417
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

3×223 Posts

Another disgusting milestone just passed: The U.S. has had over 40 million Covid cases.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-08, 00:37   #1418
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

6,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
The U.S. has had over 40 million Covid cases ...
... that have been detected. But the actual case load is unknown. Just like in every other country.

Cases recorded != cases actual.

Some countries test lots ... and find lots.
Some countries test little ... and find lots.
Some countries test lots ... and find few.
Some countries test little ... and find few.

Take your pick on how to interpret the figures. I'm sure there are other variations also, many countries outright lie are mistaken about the numbers.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-08, 12:44   #1419
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10011100011002 Posts

Here in the US, there are 650,000 dead from COVID-19. That's a 1.6% "case fatality rate" of the 40 million confirmed cases. It is also about 0.2% of the entire US population.

I note that the "case fatality rate" in the US has been slowly but steadily creeping down from an early figure of around 2.7%, to the current 1.6%. I don't know how much of that decrease is due to more cases being detected, how much is due to vaccinated people with "breakthrough infections" being protected from serious symptoms, and how much is due to increasingly effective hospital treatment of those seriously ill with COVID-19.

Also here in the US, where a bit over half the population is fully vaccinated, something like 95% of hospitalizations for COVID-19 are of unvaccinated people. Based on those numbers, I would say,

"Don't like [mask mandates | elective surgeries being canceled | overflowing ICUs | crisis standards of hospital care] ? Thank the unvaccinated."

Ooh, I can just hear the reich-wing snowflakes screaming, "That's stigmatizing the unvaccinated!" Yeah, well, their "individual choice" not to get immunized against a contagious and deadly disease adversely affects other people. A lot of other people.

Meanwhile, we have the case of Jeffrey Smith, being treated for COVID-19 in West Chester Hospital in Ohio. Smith's wife got a doctor to prescribe ivermectin, then sued to compel the hospital to administer it. Butler County Common Pleas Judge Gregory Howard obliged her. On Monday, September 6, the order was undone by Butler County Judge Michael A. Oster Jr. Judge Oster had held a hearing to resolve the legal question of whether Plaintiffs would, by "clear and convincing" evidence, likely prevail in their suit, as required for granting a preliminary injunction. He concluded that the answer was no, hence no injunction could be granted.

From the facts revealed in the hearing, we learned that the doc who wrote the scrip, Dr. Fred Wagshul, had neither examined the patient nor consulted his medical records, and did not have hospital privileges at West Chester hospital. At the hearing, Dr, Wagshul testified that "I honestly don't know" if continued use of ivermectin would benefit the patient. (Sounds to me like the doc was using a human being as a guinea pig.) It also turns out that neither Mr. nor Mrs. Smith got vaccinated, because they considered the vaccine to be "experimental."

It also turns out that Mr. Smith had more than COVID to contend with. During his hospital stay he had been sedated and intubated. His sedation had worn off, and he had ripped out his tubes, causing him to aspirate, among other things, food particles from his feeding tube. He subsequently developed a bacterial lunch infection.

Mr. Smith now seems to be recovering - the hospital has been reducing his degree of ventilation. Of course, his wife and her attorney are saying his improvement is due to ivermectin.

Dr. Wagshul is a founding doctor of the "Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance," one among a number of similar groups which advocate the use of vitamin and mineral supplements, as well as hydroxychloroqine ivermectin to treat COVID-19. His current Ohio medical license, number 35.054353, expires October 1, 2021.

Also out of Ohio: US Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH) recently tweeted that vaccine mandates are "un-American." The twitterverse, of course, immediately pointed out to him that his assertion was ahistorical. Among other items, in 1777 George Washington, Commander of the Continental Army, ordered the troops to get immunized against smallpox. (Even then, there were precursors of the vaccination method proposed by Dr. Edward Jenner in 1796.)

I'm sure Rep. Jordan will simply keep repeating that vaccine mandates are "Un-American."