mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing > GpuOwl

Old 2021-09-04, 20:40   #1
asejevu

Apr 2016

1112 Posts
Default Help with setting up gpuowl

Hi everyone,

I've joined GIMPS few years ago and my passion for helping with the search is still strong, but the thing is, I don't really understand much of anything when it comes to computers.
I didn't expect this to become a problem since the Prime95 software and the website is so user-friendly, but after a while I finally got another PC that I can use for GIMPS stuff without paying for electricity.

Now, the thing is, I'd like to use not only the Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @2,6 GhZ, but also the gpuowl which was mentioned on the web and on the forum. My device has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti and from what I understand, GPU is a pretty good way to increase contribution to the project. The thing is tho, gpuowl isn't just 1 zip file that I download unzip download assignment and run, it's much more confusing for me. I've read some other threads here on GpuOwl subforum but most of the answers are too complex/difficult to understand.

Please please please, is there someone who could create something like a "noob's guide to gpuowl" or anything like that for me so I could run the program and use my GPU? I don't need to understand why and how it works, I just want to know the setup steps for the device.

Thank you very much in advance
asejevu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-04, 21:21   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

37·271 Posts

User kriesel has a reference thread that might get you going.

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?p=488533

If you have questions after looking through that, ask more questions.

Hope this is helpful
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-04, 21:37   #3
asejevu

Apr 2016

7 Posts

I visited that thread, but unfortunately, it was a bit overwhelming... it is an excellent thread but I really need the basic-basic level of walkthrough... I really need something like a step-by step guide, not just "download latest version from this thread" or "follow that guide". So my questions are basically:
1. which one file do I dowload that fit my device the best? (windows 10 64-bit, CPU and GPU written above)
2. what files do I need to create/which text should I copy-paste and where
3. what else do I need to do
Old 2021-09-05, 03:57   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100111001010112 Posts

Only read the first post in that thread for now. This is my digestion of it to the minimal steps (I haven't used gpuowl).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejevu View Post
1. which one file do I dowload that fit my device the best? (windows 10 64-bit, CPU and GPU written above)
Either the zip or the 7z file here (they have the same content.)
Quote:
2. what files do I need to create/which text should I copy-paste and where
Create a folder for GPUowl. Ideally either top level on your C: drive or under your username (in Windows explorer.) Unzip the contents into that folder.

Code:
Create a config.txt (a single line and a return)
Suggested contents:
-user your-primenet-uid -cpu systemname-gpumodel-number-winstance -device n -maxAlloc gpuram-delta
Those items in italics are the things you need to set yourself. The first one is easy. the second one is slightly complex, your name for your system, then the gpu model, then which it is in your system (if you only have 1 use 1); then w, then the instance number (again 1), device number starts at 0 (so use that), the last one will depend on how much RAM you have on your GPU and how much you want to give it.
Quote:
For example, since my primenet-uid is kriesel, for system asr2, second Radeon VII gpu, instance 2, the gpuram is 16GB total but if I have 2 instances running P-1 on the same gpu and their stage 2s might coincide, I might use maxAlloc= gpuram 8000 - delta 500 =7500 for each instance.
-user kriesel -cpu asr2-radeonvii-2-w2 -device 1 -maxAlloc 7500
Save that file in the folder that you have GPUowl in.

Create a worktodo.txt (again in the same folder.
Go to https://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/ to get a single PRP DC assignment. Save that assignment in the the worktodo.txt file (with a return at the end of the line.)

Quote:
3. what else do I need to do
Open a command prompt in the folder and type "gpuowl-win" and hit enter. It should start running.
Old 2021-09-05, 05:46   #5
asejevu

Apr 2016

716 Posts

Wow it actually works! Thank you very much for breaking it down for me like this, I managed to start it.. I'll let the PRP DC finish and see if everything is okay. Thank you so much
Old 2021-09-05, 14:11   #6
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

3·13·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejevu View Post
Wow it actually works! Thank you very much for breaking it down for me like this, I managed to start it.. I'll let the PRP DC finish and see if everything is okay. Thank you so much
The first time I set this up (some time ago) I had problems until I went into "protected folder access" and added gpuowl to the list of authorized programs.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-05, 16:03   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

37×271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
The first time I set this up (some time ago) I had problems until I went into "protected folder access" and added gpuowl to the list of authorized programs.
That is why I suggested either a new folder under the C:\ root or under the C:\Users"User name" Those are both ok for the program to make changes in. Prime95 runs into the same issue.