Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-08-11, 18:36   #1376
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

3×661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sardonicus
Norwegian has shown that suspending the requirement will jeopardize public health, potentially causing "super-spreader" events wherever passengers disembark, she wrote.
How about a "mega-spreader?" The now concluded Tokyo Olympics. How many countries participated? I do not know, but many.

Close to my home: More and more county school systems are mandating mask usage. Some will use NTL, (Non-traditional learning). Instruction by internet. Jefferson County Public Schools (Louisville) resumes tomorrow. They are by far the largest in the immediate area.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 13:41   #1377
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,669 Posts

Extra COVID vaccine OK'd for those with weak immune systems
Quote:
<snip>
The FDA determined that transplant recipients and others with a similar level of compromised immunity can receive a third dose of the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna at least 28 days after getting their second shot. The FDA made no mention of immune-compromised patients who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

The announcement comes as the extra-contagious delta version of the coronavirus surges through much of the country, pushing new cases, hospitalizations and deaths to heights not seen since last winter.

Importantly, the FDA's decision only applies to this high-risk group, estimated to be no more than 3% of U.S. adults. It's not an opening for booster doses for the general population.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 13:54   #1378
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

5,807 Posts

Quote:
It's not an opening for booster doses for the general population.
I wonder what it will take to change that. There's a recent report that the effectiveness of Moderna is 76% for the Delta variant, while for Pfizer only 42%. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pfiz...123419844.html

The available capacity should probably go to getting humans worldwide a first and second shot though. Some nations have vaccination rates under 1%. https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021...-vaccinations/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-08-13 at 13:57
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 14:13   #1379
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·5,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
I wonder what it will take to change that. There's a recent report that the effectiveness of Moderna is 76% for the Delta variant, while for Pfizer only 42%. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pfiz...123419844.html
But you left out a critical bit of info from that story:
Quote:
though the data showed that both vaccines' protection against severe disease was not significantly diminished against the Delta variant.
So yes, you might get Δ you are still like to avoid severe disease and thus death.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 13:05   #1380
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10011100011112 Posts

FACT FOCUS: Indiana doctor's speech spreads COVID falsehoods
Quote:
An Indiana doctor's recent appearance at a small community school board meeting northeast of Indianapolis has racked up tens of millions of views across social media this week, with users falsely claiming it included facts about COVID-19 that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the federal government don't want you to hear.

In reality, Dr. Dan Stock's 6-minute speech to the Mount Vernon Community School Corporation in Fortville, Indiana, on Aug. 6 was loaded with falsehoods about the disease and the vaccines used to fight it.
<snip>
Stock identifies himself as a doctor of functional family medicine — a field that focuses on using a holistic approach to identify the root causes of disease.
<snip>
Rooting around online turned up that
  • Dr. Stock graduated from the Indiana University School of Medicine in 1988.
  • He has a court judgement for malpractice against him which was affirmed by the Indiana Court of Appeals.
  • He claimed to have treated a dozen COVID patients successfully, including through the use of ivermectin.
Old 2021-08-14, 13:18   #1381
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

189316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Quote:
... the [] government don't want you to hear.
Haha, sure. That standard claim made by people that have no evidence or credibility.

As soon as I see that type of nonsense I already know to stop looking, nothing to see there.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 15:29   #1382
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Haha, sure. That standard claim made by people that have no evidence or credibility.

As soon as I see that type of nonsense I already know to stop looking, nothing to see there.
Unfortunately, there is something to see: He left the meeting to applause after spewing his pack of lies, and his presentation exploded across social media, proving their policies against spreading misinformation about COVID are about as effective as ivermectin is at treating the disease.

The fact that tens of millions of people lap this up with a smile is tragic.

But at least my sister's dog is in the clear, because my sister gives it ivermectin to prevent heart worms.
Old 2021-08-15, 17:00   #1383
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

111101111112 Posts

Kentucky: Rand Paul vs. Mitch McConnell. A very public whizzing contest over COVID-19.

Like his father, Rand Paul attended Duke University School of Medicine. There are times when he does not act like the professional he is supposed to be...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 13:40   #1384
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

138F16 Posts

Man stabbed, reporter attacked at protest at LA City Hall
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A man was stabbed and a reporter was attacked Saturday at a protest against vaccine mandates on the south lawn of Los Angeles' City Hall after a fight broke out between the protesters and counterprotesters, the Los Angeles Police Department and local media said.

About 2 p.m., a group of several hundred people holding American flags, Trump memorabilia and signs calling for "medical freedom" arrived at City Hall around 2 p.m. for the rally, the Los Angeles Times reported. A small group of counterprotesters gathered nearby.
<snip>
Counterprotesters could be seen spraying mace while members of the anti-vaccine rally screamed death threats, the Times reported.

KPCC radio reporter Frank Stoltze was seen walking out of the park near City Hall being screamed at by anti-mask protesters, the Times reported. One man was seen kicking him.

Stoltze told a police officer he had been assaulted while trying to conduct an interview, the Times reported.

Stoltze later tweeted: "Something happened to me today that's never happened in 30 yrs of reporting. In LA. ⁦@LAist. I was shoved, kicked and my eyeglasses were ripped off of my face by a group of guys at a protest - outside City Hall during an anti-vax Recall ⁦@GavinNewsom Pro Trump rally."

Stoltze added that he is in good condition.
Old 2021-08-16, 16:31   #1385
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,669 Posts

According to Johns Hopkins, over 621,000 Americans have now died from COVID. That is more than were killed in the US Civil War, according to estimates I have seen, which have been in the range 600,000 to 620,000.

At the time of the Civil War, 620,000 was about 2% of the US population. Nowadays, it is about 0.2% of the US population.
Old 2021-08-16, 22:33   #1386
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

50110 Posts

Everyone should watch this vaccine news very closely on CBS This Morning especially after the video started for half a minute -
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/breakt...remely-rare/#x

At least UncWilly is part of that fully vaccinated population, let him tell me how many total in the entire United States as of today.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2021-08-16 at 22:40
tuckerkao is online now   Reply With Quote