mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2021-03-25, 04:21   #5149
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

5×953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm using Chris' tool and getting 24 hour run times.
But paid ....

I'm getting 8 hours free and not using his tool.
Seems like most other are getting much, much less time including Chris.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-25, 08:07   #5150
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

2×19 Posts

I also have been using Chris' tool since May until four weeks ago. I liked it a lot for its simplicity but while I was getting 2.5 hours of GPU (free Colab user) last year consistently it was reduced to 0.75 hours this year. Worse are the intermediate CPU-only session times which lasted for 12 hours last year and stopped after 10 to 60 minutes this year.

Now I created my own Colab scripts for running mprime for P-1 and getting 12 hours session time (if I manage to click an "I am still there" checkmark after 6 hours) again. In parallel, I can run a second notebook (only if I get a GPU) with mfaktc, getting assignments from gpu72 by Misfit. These sessions have a very consistent starting time every day when the GPU starts being available and last for 4-6 hours. By the way, I serve two accounts with different email addresses from the same google drive.

The session times have started being longer and uninterrupted from the second that I abandoned Chris' tool. So I also think that they restrict Chris' tool somehow. I am now running a very similar setup with own scripts with very different runtimes.

Last fiddled with by Flaukrotist on 2021-03-25 at 08:09
Flaukrotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-25, 18:04   #5151
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61·163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaukrotist View Post
The session times have started being longer and uninterrupted from the second that I abandoned Chris' tool. So I also think that they restrict Chris' tool somehow. I am now running a very similar setup with own scripts with very different runtimes.
I agree with you that constraining by Notebook source is likely part of the allotment algorithm.

When some people started saying they were getting less-and-less GPU (and then later, CPU) compute others were reporting no changes. Initially, only a few GPU72 Notebook users were reporting problems, then more and more.

Interestingly, others who had "rolled their own" reported no issues. Then sometimes even they started reporting constrained GPU resources.

Very, very strange (or, at least, a very complex "black box" with many dimensions).

P.S. Interestingly, there are several people who are currently getting good GPU72 Notebook utilization. I know one is paid, don't know about the others. I continue to get ~30 minutes per day of GPU per account each day; almost always a T4.

P.P.S. Yes Uncwilly, reducing the checkpoint file upload to every five minutes is modeled.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-28, 22:26   #5152
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×163 Posts
Default Thanks Oliver!

Wow! Thanks a lot Oliver!

1.3 MILLION GHzDays in less than a week!
Old 2021-04-10, 01:39   #5153
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2×3×149 Posts
Default Oliver's TF intentions?

I wonder what are Oliver's ongoing intentions for TF? He has cleared 104M, 105M and 106M up to 76 and is working on 107M.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 14:52   #5154
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61·163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I wonder what are Oliver's ongoing intentions for TF? He has cleared 104M, 105M and 106M up to 76 and is working on 107M.
You would have to ask him... But, yeah... I've been watching with a slack jaw as he brings an incredible amount of compute forward!

Thanks, Oliver!!!
Old 2021-04-10, 14:59   #5155
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

13·769 Posts

Must be a slow week at the NSA.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-12, 20:04   #5156
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

468 Posts
Default 119M factors missing on some pages

Is there any reason why the factors in the 119M range are not included in the plot on my personal statistics page about GHs Days per Day of work saved? The last bar is for Feb 24 and after that I found 9 factors which are all in 119M range. They are included in the factors found list correctly though. The Trial Factoring Cost per Factor found page also doesn't list anything above 109M.
Old 2021-04-12, 20:53   #5157
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×163 Posts

Quote:
Is there any reason why the factors in the 119M range are not included in the plot on my personal statistics page about GHs Days per Day of work saved?
Probably because of some "tech debt".

GPU72 was supposed to be temporary. I never imagined we'd be into the >100M range when the code was started. There are many stupid artificial "where" statements sprinkled throughout the code.

I need to do a serious refactoring on the code stacks sometimes really-soon-now.

Unfortunately, I also have to do "real work" to pay for this. And the gods are currently a bit angry, so I'm having to deal with that as well...

If it helps at all, while the graphs and reports may not be sane, the work assignment and recording code-paths are sane.
Old 2021-04-12, 21:31   #5158
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Probably because of some "tech debt".

GPU72 was supposed to be temporary. I never imagined we'd be into the >100M range when the code was started. There are many stupid artificial "where" statements sprinkled throughout the code.

I need to do a serious refactoring on the code stacks sometimes really-soon-now.

Unfortunately, I also have to do "real work" to pay for this. And the gods are currently a bit angry, so I'm having to deal with that as well...

If it helps at all, while the graphs and reports may not be sane, the work assignment and recording code-paths are sane.
I don't consider this an urgent or important issue. It is just an observation I thought would be better to bring to your attention in case you didn't know and in case you have some spare time to spend.

I am truely grateful for you and all other people that keep this great project alive and improve it in the way you do with all the personal effort involved. Thanks a lot.
Old 2021-04-12, 22:01   #5159
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×163 Posts

Quote:
It is just an observation I thought would be better to bring to your attention in case you didn't know and in case you have some spare time to spend.
And bug reports which are more detailed than "it doesn't work" are greatly appreciated. Seriously.

Quote:
I am truely grateful for you and all other people that keep this great project alive and improve it in the way you do with all the personal effort involved. Thanks a lot.
I am equally grateful for this community. There's some very cool talent around these-here-parts. It's wonderful being able to contribute a very small gear "in the machine".

P.S. BTW, while I'm "radiating"... The GPU72 Colab TF/P-1 Notebook now uploads P-1 results every three minutes.