mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-14, 20:20   #397
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101010110010102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
What kind of operation did she need? Nothing serious, I hope.

And I suppose your shingles attack is behind you by now?
Her knee replacement was infected and was coming loose. The old prosthetic was removed and replaced with antiseptic cement (so she can't use that leg). A 6-week course of IV antibiotics is now starting, after which she'll get a new knee, all being well.

Occasional minor itching in my shoulder blade but nothing serious now.


Thanks,

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2013-03-14 at 20:21 Reason: Fix typw
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 21:21   #398
only_human
 
only_human's Avatar
 
"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I hope your better half is able to "just say no to quack" reasonably soon, Paul.


Last summer I gifted my niece a Kindle, and used my laptop to free-download ~50 classic-books from PlanetPDF. I initially copied them to her e-reader, but since xmas have been enjoying the copies on my laptop - just started Anna Karenina. Sorry, no free downloads of the Twilight saga and such - literary drivel, tripe and pabulum all cost actual money.
I read Anna Karenina while working a miserable stint of programming in Pennsylvania. There was a used bookstore next door and I was going though as much of their stock as possible. I told the owner that Anna Karenina was pulp fiction. He agreed, however I meant that the intertwining stories put me in mind of the stylized story handling in the movie Pulp Fiction. His agreement was to the older, more dismissive term often applied to cheap fiction.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:06   #399
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×29×67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
I read Anna Karenina while working a miserable stint of programming in Pennsylvania. There was a used bookstore next door and I was going though as much of their stock as possible. I told the owner that Anna Karenina was pulp fiction. He agreed, however I meant that the intertwining stories put me in mind of the stylized story handling in the movie Pulp Fiction. His agreement was to the older, more dismissive term often applied to cheap fiction.
The google translation of "pulp fiction", Криминальное чтиво, sounds suspiciously Tarantino-esque. 100 pages (of the 1700-plus in the e-reader-friendly PDF format) into AK I see no "Kriminalʹnoye" ... at least "noyet".

(You did mean "Karenina", not "Kournikova", right? ;)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:25   #400
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22×3×797 Posts
Default

Google has AI behind translator; it sticks to the contextually cöoccurring words* - this is indeed the infamously bad title translation, and this is how it is still referred to in the Russian discussions. I never watched it in translation. Must be horrible.

Since 1990s, I am sticking to the originals - it is better to misunderstand some phrase than have it definitely misunderstood for you by Russian movie hack-interpreters most of whom I wouldn't let shine my shoes. (I wear running shoes though. No need to be shined by unemployed Russian movie hack-interpreters.) I only have a bit of trouble following Ran or Det sjunde inseglet in original. ;-)

_____
*is that a good New Yorker editorial style impression?

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2013-03-14 at 22:30
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:26   #401
only_human
 
only_human's Avatar
 
"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
The google translation of "pulp fiction", Криминальное чтиво, sounds suspiciously Tarantino-esque. 100 pages (of the 1700-plus in the e-reader-friendly PDF format) into AK I see no "Kriminalʹnoye" ... at least "noyet".

(You did mean "Karenina", not "Kournikova", right? ;)
She's beautiful but, alas, I meant the former. Now you've reminded me of another used book store owner, who told me that he fell in love with Bruce Willis' character's girlfriend in the movie Pulp Fiction.

This is also a true story.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2013-03-14 at 22:29
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:43   #402
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·41·61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I am sincerely sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Nothing serious, I hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I hope your better half is able to "just say no to quack" reasonably soon, Paul.
What they said.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:48   #403
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22×3×797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
She's beautiful but, alas, I meant the former. Now you've reminded me of another used book store owner, who told me that he fell in love with Bruce Willis' character's girlfriend in the movie Pulp Fiction.

This is also a true story.
I fell in love with Bruce Willis' character's cab driver!
Never mind his girlfriend. (She didn't correct him that they actually speak French in Bora Bora. That's a killer in my book. Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 22:59   #404
only_human
 
only_human's Avatar
 
"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

375410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
What they said.
What they all said. Paul, here's to you and yours keeping your spirits up. Hospitals are miserable places. My sweetheart spent over a month in one once but at least she got entertained by a media circus at a lake across the street where they had found an alligator in the pond. cf. Reggie the alligator

I brought my big cat, Wookie, to the vet yesterday, he's lost 8 pounds in recent weeks. I don't know how much I've spent already; I made a deposit of $1000 yesterday which was 75% of initial costs and that was before they sent some fluid to an oncologist today. I don't know what I am doing because I can not imagine any eventuality that I can afford (financially or emotionally). I've been broke for a long time (even more so since my sweetheart died). This sucks.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 23:00   #405
only_human
 
only_human's Avatar
 
"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I fell in love with Bruce Willis' character's cab driver!
Never mind his girlfriend. (She didn't correct him that they actually speak French in Bora Bora. That's a killer in my book. Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.)
That driver sure was something with those creepy/sexy questions.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2013-03-14 at 23:01
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 14:49   #406
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
SWMBO went into hospital on Tuesday for an estimated 6-week stay.

The operation went reasonably well but she had a bad reaction to IV morphine and spent almost 24 hours in post-op recovery before being moved to a general purpose ward.

Consequently she's in some discomfort though the nurses and quacks are doing their best.

Oh well.
Sister Morphine
When I had my eye operations, I woke up on an enormous high!

Sister Ray
My doctoress Max failed to take a blood sample because she couldn't hit it sideways.

Hope these anecdotes give SWMBO and you some comfort!

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2013-03-15 at 15:11
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 16:55   #407
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Sister Morphine
When I had my eye operations, I woke up on an enormous high!

Sister Ray
My doctoress Max failed to take a blood sample because she couldn't hit it sideways.

Hope these anecdotes give SWMBO and you some comfort!

David
Sorry for saying this in public Paul, but...

Lady Godiva's Operation

Just inevitable.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2013-03-15 at 18:32 Reason: Now you're Youtube-spamming via reply to your own Youtube spam?
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Me Thread wblipp Lounge 1019 2021-10-04 19:37
Unhappy Me: The "dead GPU" edition kracker GPU Computing 294 2018-01-19 06:10
Unhappy in choosing prime sequence :-) pepi37 Lounge 9 2017-07-15 19:53
This thread, annoying as it is jasong Soap Box 90 2013-05-22 00:00
Deutscher Thread (german thread) TauCeti NFSNET Discussion 0 2003-12-11 22:12

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:07.


Wed Oct 20 18:07:07 UTC 2021 up 89 days, 12:36, 0 users, load averages: 1.19, 1.31, 1.24

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.