Old 2007-06-03, 12:10   #23
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

100010000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
in near mint condition
Mint is a different plant. Do not confuse it with Basil. Both are green herbs, but the aroma and flavour are quite different.

Quote:
The gerbils eat a very varied diet.
Generic laboratory mouse "blocks"
Carnivoirs ?
And be cautious about the source of that meat. Many of the laboratory mice have been subjected to chemicals that render them inappropriate to feed to the cat (or gerbils).

Did you observe that Gerbils really like the seeds of Helianthus annuus?
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 12:56   #24
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

53×31 Posts

Quote:
The Calla Lily is looking much worse. We figure it is knocking on Heaven's door. There isn't anything modern science can do to save it now, so we have put it in God's hands. If it dies, then it was meant to be.
From what I can gather from the wiki is that these plants live in marshes and so I guess they like a lot of water. Do you water them copiously daily?

Quote:
If the Calla Lily was human, it would have moved to Florida last week.
Perhaps they would flourish in the Everglades

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2007-06-03 at 13:00
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 18:36   #25
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

207B16 Posts

Quote:
Carnivoirs ?
And be cautious about the source of that meat. Many of the laboratory mice have been subjected to chemicals that render them inappropriate to feed to the cat (or gerbils).
The blocks are green, square-shaped, compressed mouse food. Not blocks of mouse meat.

Quote:
Did you observe that Gerbils really like the seeds of Helianthus annuus?
They have to be strictly rationed, or we'd have gerbils the size of rats.

Check out the math-related stuff on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 18:40   #26
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5·1,663 Posts

Quote:
From what I can gather from the wiki is that these plants live in marshes and so I guess they like a lot of water. Do you water them copiously daily?
The little stick that came with them said to water them sparingly. We guess at this point it can't hurt to water them a bunch.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 19:18   #27
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

32·112 Posts

Quote:
The blocks are green, square-shaped, compressed ... food.
Manufactured by Soylent Corporation, I presume.
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 20:46   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3×13×281 Posts

Quote:
We did bruise a leaf and it did smell kind of familiar. There is an old lady who lives across the street who told us it was basil as well, but then again, she thinks it is still 1964.
I'm convinced it is basil.

I showed the picture to my wife. "Basil" was her instant identification.

Personally, I'd nibble a bit of leaf, secure in the knowledge that well under a gram of even the most toxic of plants wouldn't cause me serious or permanent harm. At worst, I'd throw up, have a nasty attack of the thrupennies (Cockney rhyming slang, look it up) or, just possibly, have some rather interesting dreams.

FWIW, I grow a whole bunch of plants in my garden which are seriously toxic. Some of them kill dozens of people per annum world wide. One such is Nicotiana glauca, aka "tree tobacco" which is a weed in hot parts of the world like Texas and the Canaries (which is where I collected my seeds) but, strictly speaking, doesn't survive the British winter. That said, at least 6 plants lived out of doors all last winter and, if not thriving, are at least surviving. The first came into flower a week ago. Anyway, small amounts of N. glauca would probably be banned by the authorities, if it wasn't for the fact that larger amounts are seriously lethal.

If I can breed a frost-resistant strain of N. glauca I may be on to something ...

Another toxic plant is monkshood, an aconitum. Its roots look exactly like horseradish (which I also grow, BTW). though the above-ground plant is totally different. Mistaking one for the other kills a few every year.

I was given a Brugmansia (aka Angel' strumpet) earlier this year. Every part of that is poisonous...

Paul

P.S. WTF does all this have to do with the number field sieve? Perhaps we need a subsection devoted to gardening.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2007-06-03 at 20:58 Reason: Fix speeling misteak.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 20:58   #29
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2ACF16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
IAt worst, I'd throw up, have a nasty attack of the thruppennies (Cockney rhyming slang, look it up) or, just possibly, have some rather interesting dreams.
I just did a Google search and was amazed to discover that "thrupennies" has a second interpretation, and one I've never heard before from any Londoner.

The version I found is the one generally referred to as "Bristols", the plural of "Bristol", which is derived from the football team (soccer team in the parlance of the Colonials) Bristol City.

Some Cockney rhyming slang has now become part of the general (British) English language. Examples include "raspberrry" for a noise made to indicate disapproval (from raspberry tart), and "berk" (a contemptible person akin to, and rhyming with, a US jerk) from Berkeley hunt.

This topic denonstrates thread drift par excellence.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 13:19   #30
m_f_h

Feb 2007

24×33 Posts

Quote:
There is an old lady who lives across the street who told us it was basil as well, but then again, she thinks it is still 1964.
Basil didn't change since then.
Quote:
She has a 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL sitting out back, in near mint condition. We keep offering her $5000 for it but she thinks we are being silly since thats more than she paid for it, and it is used. We're going to offer her less next time we talk.

Quote:
If it dies, then it was meant to be.
Most living creatures are meant to die.
m_f_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 16:43   #31
dsouza123

Sep 2002

2×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_f_h View Post
Most living creatures are meant to die.
What are some of the exceptions ?
dsouza123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 20:40   #32
m_f_h

Feb 2007

1B016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouza123 View Post
well, m-maybe... ... You're a bit curious, aren't you ? And...
Remember we're doing math here. There are things like the strong law of big numbers. You think something is true universally just because you know some millions of positive cases and no counter example ?
Let me just take some harmless example : numerical user id's in a relational database. Or, the number of posts of a given user. Before having a closer look at the question and evidence presented on this forum, I'm sure you'd expected that they are always equal to some finite integer...
Hey, as Shakespeare put it : There are things between heaven and earth, Horatio, which you never dreamed of in your philosophy... (or the like - freely from memory... maybe more, maybe not between, maybe passive voice...)

Last fiddled with by m_f_h on 2007-06-04 at 20:46 Reason: +citation
m_f_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 07:43   #33
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouza123 View Post
Well ... amoebas, because they multiply by dividing. Anything that used a process that close to RPN before the founding of Hewlett-Packard deserves respect, in my book.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-06-05 at 07:47 Reason: One of my chief regrets in life is having given away my HP-25.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote