mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2007-06-11, 18:15   #34
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×34×17 Posts

Glad to be of service. Yes the elevation profile is buggy. Basically, you see that sawtooth effect when you click on points for which gmap-pedometer does not have any elevation data. It defaults to 0 and hence the sawtooth effect.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 16:24   #35
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2CA716 Posts

Nice win in the TdSuisse for big, bad Vladdy "Shag" Karpets yesterday. I really wish Versus Network would compress their "what happened in the past 6 stages, a.k.a. 'The Race'" segment into just a little more than 6 minutes (I timed it.) Except for a few individual rider highlights, TTs don't exactly make for riveting viewing. They have loads of footage of the gorgeous scenery, interesting weather and exciting mountain stages, they compress that into less than one minute per stage, then show 1 hour and 50-odd minutes of an ITT. Sheesh.

p.s.: I notice there is once again no Team Time Trial in this year's TdF -- what a load of crap. What were they worried about -- excessive drafting by the riders?

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2007-06-25 at 16:29
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 16:32   #36
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Time for the forum Tifosi to make their 2007 TdF winner picks.

I'm gonna go the easy route and with Vinokourov -- finally got his own team, question is can he rein in his efforts and not blow up somewhere in the mountains?

Also on the podium: My surprise pick here is Karpets. Also ... I just can't think of ayone else, all I see is guys like Leipheimer and Klöden who I feel destined to finish top-10 but no podium. Valverde maybe, but with him being on the same team as big Vladdy, one is going to wind up riding support for the other, or maybe both for Pereiro. (But I doubt the peloton is going to let Pereiro sneak away for a huge time gain on any stage this time around, and I think that's really his only chance to finish high).

What say my fellow Tifosi?
Old 2007-07-05, 16:44   #37
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1DC216 Posts

Quote:
What say my fellow Tifosi?
It is very hard to get excited about the Tour this year.

We watch mostly for the individual stage wins. The overall hasn't been interesting for a long time.

We read this morning that Petacchi won't be allowed to start.

Eventually, they are going to run out of cyclists.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 16:51   #38
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7·23·71 Posts

Stage 8 synopsis: The Chicken scores a "pullet surprise" -- thousands of newspaper writers polka-dotted with envy.

Bad day at the office for the Aussies...
Old 2007-07-21, 20:50   #39
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

53028 Posts

I totally missed the last few posts on this thread.

Looks like Vino really put the hammer down during the ITT. Whatever you may say about his questionable doping past, it is a great recovery after that nasty fall in Stage 5. I was watching the live video and looking at his bloody knees and butt, I really thought his tour was over.

It is bit late to start picking favourites, but Vino is definitely the easy option. Wouldn't rule out chicken-legs just yet though.
Old 2007-07-23, 17:34   #40
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
IIt is bit late to start picking favourites, but Vino is definitely the easy option.
Whoops...still big props for guts, though. Compare him to Moreau, who just totally folded mentally after getting caught in the latter half of the Peloton by team Astana's great surprise move on the flat stage a couple days ago.

BTW, please no spoilers about the day's stage - being on the US west coast, I always tape the live coverage and watch it when I get home in the evening.

Contador v Rasmussen on the road up to Plateau de Beille yesterday was fantastic. Leipheimer got instantly dropped when those 2 accelerated, but found a good rhythm and came to the finish surprisingly close behind (almost caught the late-breaking Colombian, Soler).

Discovery has a great 1-2 - Contador is clearly the young super talent (what a great acquisition by Bruyneel & Co, reminds one a bit of another guy who was also written off by his former team and picked up by then-USPS...), but Leipheimer is not far behind, in case Contador gets overenthusiastic in the Pyrenees and pays for it today or Wednesday, or during the second ITT
Old 2007-07-24, 20:43   #41
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×34×17 Posts

Surprise, surprise! Vino tests positive. Always be suspicious of storming comebacks. The real surprise is that he was careless enough to get caught.

Shame for people like Kloden and Kashechkin.
Old 2007-07-24, 21:02   #42
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Surprise, surprise! Vino tests positive. Always be suspicious of storming comebacks. The real surprise is that he was careless enough to get caught.

Shame for people like Kloden and Kashechkin.
Yeah, that was a bit too much of a Floyd-Landis-style overnight back-from-the-dead resurrection to be true, wasn't it?

Really stupid on Vino's part, because [unlike Landis last year] he was totally out of GC contention, but Klo"den still had quite decent hopes of a podium finish.

I wonder how this may affect the big announcement the team Astana sponsor made yesterday, that they were committed to supporting the team for at least 10 more years...

On a non-doping note [at least I hope :(], it was really fun watching Contador taunt Rasmussen all the way up the final climb yesterday, but I wonder if it may have been a squandering of an actual chance to close the time gap - if instead of repeatedly accelerating, stretching Rasmussen to his limit, but then letting him catch up again he had just let the thread snap on [say] the 3rd or 4th acceleration and climbed his little butt off the rest of the way to the summit, maybe hit the top 30 seconds ahead, then he knew he had Hincapie up there not far in front of him, those 2 working together could've put maybe another 20-30 seconds gap on Razzie on the descent, because the Chicken would've been descending alone. I wonder...

But anyway, can't wait for the final big mountain showdown tomorrow. I don't know if Ras can pull another unbelievable TT out of his butt, but Contador needs to be < 2 minutes down to have a chance to catch him in the final ITT, I think - exactly why a minute gained yesterday would've been valuable indeed.
Old 2007-07-24, 21:57   #43
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×34×17 Posts

Contador is a bit young and his inexperience showed there. Then again, maybe he just did not have the legs to do any more.

And yeah, Landis is exactly what I was thinking too.
Old 2007-07-26, 13:16   #44
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

1010110000102 Posts

Rasmussen sacked! Which is good except that Contador is in the yellow jersey now and that doesn't look fair either. Evans though is clean so I'm rooting for Evans baby!