Wow, tough crowd here.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 10:34   #25
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2·34·17 Posts

Meckx by the way.

The longest ride I've ever done is 30 miles. Mind it had two hills of 220m elevation each with sections of 14% grade. Oh wait! There was another one http://www.mondoalpino.it/itinerari/valvenegia.htm Now that one really killed me. If you look at pic on the page, I have one just like that except I was off the bike

Last fiddled with by garo on 2007-06-07 at 10:41
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 17:48   #26
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7·23·71 Posts

Way back in my speed-thrill days, I spent a summer back in the homeland (Austria), working as a waiter in a local winecellar in the evenings, and spending the days kinking and biking all over. I started by using an old roughly WW2-vintage bike that had belonged to my dad in his schooldays until I broke a pedal off it and almost crashed into a parked car as a result. At that point I blew the meager earnings of my waiter stint to date on a (by my standards) fancy 12-speed. It was made by KTM, the same company that makes the motorcycles. (I guess this was their "0 cc" model.) I'm sure it was a piece of crap by Xyzzy's high standards, but it was light and fast. Had pedal clips, too (my first ever) --Damn, that seemed high-tech to me. Merckx and Hinault would've loved it, I'm sure. Most of my rides were in the area around my hometown, hills and low mountains, some climbs with as much as 500m elevation gain, if you were feeling ambitious. At the end of the summer, though, on my way back to the States (of course with das Bike), I spent a couple of weeks in the far-western Austrian province of Vorarlberg, where my paternal grandma and aunt lived. The mountains there are a bit higher - the Tour of Italy often makes a turn around there. One day I did a ride starting from Feldkirch, following the valley of the Inn river eastward to a town called Brand, then making a right turn and doing a long climb to the base of a dam of the mountain lake called the Lünersee.

Maybe one of you can check the profile out on google maps, and let me know what the elevation gain for that was. I seem to remember the climb being roughly 15km with an elevation gain of somewhere around 700 or 800m, but my memory may being playing tricks on me.

In any event, I was pretty wiped by the time I got to the top. On the way down I almost bought it thanks to an idiot tourist in a big Mercedes ... I'm blasting down in my best Il Falco style, easily hitting 80kph, then as I swing around a sharpish bend (but not so sharp that you had to touch your brakes) in roughly the middle of the outside lane, I come within inches of getting splatted by this jerk in his big wagon, who'd lazily drifted out way into my lane while going around the bend. It all happened too fast to do anything - I just remember seeing several pudgy-tourist faces with their mouths open in shocked Os behind the windscreen, me looking down and seeing my left pedal miss the side of the car by inches, and then it was over. No time to even be frightened.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 22:53   #27
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2·34·17 Posts

http://www.breakaway-adventures.com/...randnertal.htm

That was the best I could do.

Your story reminds me of the time I decided to go up beyond the Flatirons in Boulder. I was there on a conference and rented a bike from University Bicycles http://www.ubikes.com/. I got a friend who had rented a car to drive me up to the top and little bit beyond. Yeah no way I was gonna climb 2000 feet starting at 5000ft given that I had just flown in from LA the day before.

He dropped me about 2 miles beyond and 250 ft below the peak on route 119 - I think it was 119 from what I can see on Google maps but it could have been Flagstaff road as well. (there is a nice write-up by Michael Barry of Discover/USPS who does a much longer circuit - in about half the time it took me to do my descent Michael Barry - Rides) It was a long time ago, not as long as Ernst's story mind you but.... heck Oct 11th, 1999 according to my journal.... anyway the climb back to the peak was a bitch. I was 7000ft above sea level and the altitude was making me gasp at each pedal. I finally made the top and the ride down was the same sort of craziness that Ernst described. There was quite a bit of traffic so I could not afford to do Il Falco and had my fingers on the brakes all the way down. I was just scared that the brakes would fail.

Anyway, I stopped about halfway down at a rocky outcrop/viewing point where a few people had stopped and were admiring the view. Soon a man and a woman arrive - the man carrying lots of photographic equipment. They disappear down behind some rocks. Five minutes later I get up to leave and take a last look at the vista. And lo and behold, the woman is lying on a rock concealed from general view, stark naked (to be honest she could have only been topless, don't remember that much detail 8 years on) and the guy is snapping away merrily. I quickly make myself scarce and resume the descent.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2007-06-07 at 22:56
Old 2007-06-08, 01:35   #28
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1DC216 Posts

One time, at band camp...

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 09:47   #29
Kees

Dec 2005

C416 Posts

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.as...commenti=False
Kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:14   #30
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

1010110000102 Posts

Very nice site!

This used to be my local climb in 2005-2006. Too bad there are no photos, I could supply some
Old 2007-06-08, 17:23   #31
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2CA716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Anyway, I stopped about halfway down at a rocky outcrop/viewing point where a few people had stopped and were admiring the view. Soon a man and a woman arrive - the man carrying lots of photographic equipment. They disappear down behind some rocks. Five minutes later I get up to leave and take a last look at the vista. And lo and behold, the woman is lying on a rock concealed from general view, stark naked (to be honest she could have only been topless, don't remember that much detail 8 years on) and the guy is snapping away merrily. I quickly make myself scarce and resume the descent.
Ha, ha - the naked truth about Colorado tourism, eh? You should've offered to take some shots of them together.

Does anyone know any sites that can give one contour and evelation information for touring route? What's the site Versus network has been using for their TdF route profiles, and is it open to the public? Does Google maps have such a capability?
Old 2007-06-11, 15:38   #32
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×34×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Ha, ha - the naked truth about Colorado tourism, eh? You should've offered to take some shots of them together.
Never thought of that angle.

He looked like a pro though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Does anyone know any sites that can give one contour and evelation information for touring route? What's the site Versus network has been using for their TdF route profiles, and is it open to the public? Does Google maps have such a capability?
I use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Works pretty well for me and is free.
Old 2007-06-11, 17:24   #33
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7·23·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Never thought of that angle.

He looked like a pro though.
She probably liked him because he had a really long ... telephoto lens.

Quote:
I use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Works pretty well for me and is free.
Thanks - pretty neat! I recorded my "historic" route here, although note I reversed the start and finish in my mapping. Roughly 25 miles each way (a little longer if you stop at the famous purple-painted Milka chocolate factory in Bludenz), although it wasn't so much the distance as the elevation gain. I don't quite understand the elevation profile given in the above route map, though - why the sawtooth effect? It's pretty much flat from Felkirch to Bludenz, then uphill all the way to the Lünersee.