mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2018-08-10, 16:57   #12
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

16EF16 Posts

If you dabble in crypto, dabble because it's fun, not because you'll make your communications more secure. The moment you convince yourself you're more secure is the moment you act like you're more secure and that's when things start to go wrong.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-10, 18:56   #13
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

117610 Posts
Default Thanks, Bitlocker it is

Thanks for all the replies. I've installed (actually enabled) Bitlocker on the machine in question. It was very easy;
- edit/enable a group policy
- enable Bitlocker on the disk (in explorer.exe) and choose the security algorithm (I choose AES-XTS)
- reboot
- diskencryption was done in the background (took a couple of hours)

I've NOT send/uploaded the recovery key to my Microsoft account, but choose to print it instead and put it in a safe place.

I've not felt any real life performance impacts so far (the processor supports AES instructions).

@NSA, nothing to see here

Last fiddled with by VictordeHolland on 2018-08-10 at 18:56 Reason: extre newlines
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-10, 20:03   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

27DA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
True, but at the same time security through obscurity isn't the worst idea as a last mile step for personal use only.
No,it's not the worst. It is marginally better than posting the cleartext on a public forum, such as Gmail's servers.

Writing your own crypto is a mugs game. If you are truly in a position where AES with appropriate key management is not secure enough, you have much bigger problems than crypto to think about. There are many many cheaper ways of breaking security than cracking AES. Search terms include "rubber hose", "svelte blonde", "checkbook" (and many more) each followed by "cryptanalysis".

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2018-08-10 at 20:04
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 12:59   #15
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·13·293 Posts

PS - We now have xkcd BB code tags!

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 13:42   #16
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

5×112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
No,it's not the worst. It is marginally better than posting the cleartext on a public forum, such as Gmail's servers.

Writing your own crypto is a mugs game. If you are truly in a position where AES with appropriate key management is not secure enough, you have much bigger problems than crypto to think about. There are many many cheaper ways of breaking security than cracking AES. Search terms include "rubber hose", "svelte blonde", "checkbook" (and many more) each followed by "cryptanalysis".
My post gave plenty of context that custom steps are just for fun and should be behind normal encryption if you want to try them. There's no need for the standard boilerplate.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 01:50   #17
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3×7×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I would suggest TrueCrypt's successor VeraCrypt.
  • It is open source.
  • It is honest about what it does and does not protect.
  • It does not send any "recovery key" to anyone (unlike BitLocker which sends the master key to MS).
  • It is also cross platform in that the partition format is public and they can be opened in Linux and Windows clients, so you don't have to have a valid Windows license to recover the data.
  • The master key is not tied to the system, since it doesn't use the TPM, so the data can be opened in any system (with the correct passphrase of course).
  • It also has cypher cascading so if any one cypher is broken or backdoored it can have another one, or two, cyphers in cascade still protecting the data.

Edit: You can have multiple passphrases to the same data by exchanging the header. So if someone forgets a passphrase you can replace the header with a backup.
This! I have been trying to find a encryption software that works similar to .dmg w/ passcode (i.e. can be mounted as a virtual drive and can be modified on the fly) that works across different OS. Thank you!

My apologies for poking at an old thread, but I cannot find the answer to a question after searching, and this seems to be the closest thread to post this on.

So, if I am to enable Bitlocker (whole disk encryption) on Windows or FileValue on Mac, how does it affect the GIMPS p95 speed. Does it decrease the throughput significantly on i.e. LL test?
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote