storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

101010100102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Have you tried cucumbers?
No, I've not tried that. I saw a video on YouTube a while back. I suppose if somebody put something big and green behind me while I was eating, I'd jump too when I saw it.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-04, 17:37   #13
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×13×293 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cats.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	15100  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 02:50   #14
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
A year ago, my girlfriend gave me one of the accidental kittens from her accidental cat; at this point the kitten was three months old. I loved him and hugged him and had him vaccinated and called him Babbage and had his testicles professionally removed
See, there's your problem - you forgot to squeeze him and called him something other than George. (Alas, Looney Tunes is silent on the whole testicle-removal thing.)

Glad to hear that the rapprochement appears to be underway - BTW, a good TV show about cats-with-psychological-issues and how to address them is Animal Planet's My Cat From Hell.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 10:47   #15
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

My feline creature (Gizmo) of 2 years old has the same behavior. The first few days after we visited the vet he wouldnt look at me and spend most of the time outside. After 4 or 5 visits Gizmo is now slowly getting used to it. He will still not look at me for a day or so, but after that everything is fine.

I switched to half year injections to combat the fleas and ticks, so I don't have to catch him every month. He has a very strong will of his own. One day he will not allow you to pet and or touch him, while the other he will not get enough of it... Cats sometimes...
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 00:15   #16
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
Cats sometimes...
Yeah, I resonate. I currently am the staff to six. I like to say that Cats are to women as Dogs are to men.

Cats are some of the most subtle, unpredictable and caring creatures known to man.

Dogs, on the other hand, are generally dumber than bricks, and only want to hump and eat.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 13:46   #17
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Cats are some of the most subtle, unpredictable and caring creatures known to man.

Dogs, on the other hand, are generally dumber than bricks, and only want to hump and eat.
On the gripping hand, dogs are smart enough to understand human words. It is a common occurrence for people to have to spell out key words to avoid having a dog respond to hearing the word itself (like "treat" or "squirrel").

Dogs also crave attention. I often tell people that their dogs, like most dogs, suffer from "attention deficit disorder."

I once saw someone with both cats and dogs open a can of tuna or something at a time different from feeding time, and at a place different from where they usually filled the food dishes, and call out. The cats all went to the usual station, despite the fact that there was nobody there. The one dog that wasn't out in the yard, who was old and generally regarded as pretty dimwitted, even for a dog, went right to where his master -- and the food -- were. To me this was proof positive that dogs are smarter than cats.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2017-07-23 at 13:47
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 19:28   #18
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
To me this was proof positive that dogs are smarter than cats.
I do hope the above was taken the way it intended... Humorous with a bit of truth.

I love all animals. But I often say I like dogs the way I like children: so long as they are someone else's. They (both dogs and human children) are just so needy. Always demanding care and attention. Cats, on the other hand, might love and appreciate you, but they don't really need you.

There is a reason there is the saying "Dogs have owners; cats have staff.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 00:19   #19
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2×3×227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I do hope the above was taken the way it intended... Humorous with a bit of truth.

I love all animals. But I often say I like dogs the way I like children: so long as they are someone else's. They (both dogs and human children) are just so needy. Always demanding care and attention. Cats, on the other hand, might love and appreciate you, but they don't really need you.

There is a reason there is the saying "Dogs have owners; cats have staff.
There is another old saying, "You own a dog, but a cat owns you." As long as a cat has something to eat, drink, and a litterbox, they don't need much at all. I find this very preferable. A little attention goes a long way with a cat. Mine doesn't mind a little extra attention, but I think he prefers to be left alone most of the time. Naturally, when mealtime comes along for myself, then it is eyes wide open. I suppose he thinks he might miss out on something.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 06:21   #20
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×5,101 Posts

Something for which there is demonstrable scientific evidence is that people train dogs but cats train people.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 07:52   #21
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

27·71 Posts

Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 13:16   #22
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

D1C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Something for which there is demonstrable scientific evidence is that people train dogs but cats train people.
That's the standard line. However: Amazing Acro-Cats to claw their way to Seattle theater
Quote:
Ringmaster Samantha Martin talked to CBS News in mid-June about driving her tour bus thousands of miles for performances. "So many people think that cats can’t be trained,” she said. “Any animal that has a food drive and has a brain can be trained.”

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2017-07-24 at 13:17
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote