mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-18, 11:27   #1
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

22·7·151 Posts
Default Card Tricks

Pick a card, any card.

Look at it and memorize it. Now put it back into the deck.
And here it is! (How did he do that?)

Anyone have a favorite trick they'd care to describe
without giving away the denouement, which we can
try to determine sight unseen?
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 16:18   #2
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·1,021 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
Anyone have a favorite trick they'd care to describe...
Sell billions of dollars worth of mortgages to people you know can't service them...

Wrap the exposure up in complex derivative instruments, and then sell them off to unsuspecting, unsophisticated buyers in other countries...

Profit!

(Sorry... That might not be exactly what you meant, and might come across as cynical....)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 20:10   #3
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

For this trick, I am wearing a tee-shirt.

I invite an audience member to shuffle a deck of cards, from which I have previously removed the Ace, King, and Queen of Diamonds. While the deck is being shuffled, I clearly show these three cards to the shuffler and the rest of the audience. One by one, I insert these cards into the deck, which the audience member continues to hold throughout, shuffling between each insertion. While s/he continues to shuffle, I offer my arms to another audience member - they are genuine arms with no hidden compartments. Also there is nothing up my (short) sleeves.

Bringing my hand no closer than 6 inches from the deck, I draw forth an invisible card, and flick it toward a third audience member's coat pocket. The audience member checks his pocket... then the first person, (the one holding the cards) ...
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 00:47   #4
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

422810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
For this trick, I am wearing a tee-shirt.

I invite an audience member to shuffle a deck of cards, from which I have previously removed the Ace, King, and Queen of Diamonds. While the deck is being shuffled, I clearly show these three cards to the shuffler and the rest of the audience. One by one, I insert these cards into the deck, which the audience member continues to hold throughout, shuffling between each insertion. While s/he continues to shuffle, I offer my arms to another audience member - they are genuine arms with no hidden compartments. Also there is nothing up my (short) sleeves.

Bringing my hand no closer than 6 inches from the deck, I draw forth an invisible card, and flick it toward a third audience member's coat pocket. The audience member checks his pocket... then the first person, (the one holding the cards) ...
... throws the deck into the air, from which you pluck two cards as
they're falling - the king and queen of diamonds ! The other
audience member finds the ace of diamonds in her/his pocket !
How did you do it !

(Am I even close?)
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 16:27   #5
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

422810 Posts
Default

I shuffle a desk of cards in full view of my victims. Then I deal the top
twenty-one cards, open, into three columns of seven each.
The other cards are no longer needed. I ask victim number one to silently
choose one of the cards from the tableau, and to point to the column it's in.
I pick up the three columns one at a time and stack them.
I re-deal the tableau cards, again into three columns, and again ask
the victim to point silently to the column with his card. Then I repeat
this last step for a third and final time. I pick up the cards, hold them
behind my back, bring one card forward upside down, announce the
card's value (e.g. three of hearts), turn up the card - and so it is,
and also is the selected card.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 22:23   #6
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
I shuffle a desk of cards in full view of my victims. Then I deal the top
twenty-one cards, open, into three columns of seven each.
The other cards are no longer needed. I ask victim number one to silently
choose one of the cards from the tableau, and to point to the column it's in.
I pick up the three columns one at a time and stack them.
I re-deal the tableau cards, again into three columns, and again ask
the victim to point silently to the column with his card. Then I repeat
this last step for a third and final time. I pick up the cards, hold them
behind my back, bring one card forward upside down, announce the
card's value (e.g. three of hearts), turn up the card - and so it is,
and also is the selected card.
I don't know, but it may involve 7 = 1 (mod 3).
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 23:51   #7
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
... throws the deck into the air, from which you pluck two cards as
they're falling - the king and queen of diamonds ! The other
audience member finds the ace of diamonds in her/his pocket !
How did you do it !

(Am I even close?)
Missed this.

I wish I had the skill to do the air plucking bit. All the first audience member does is go through the deck to verify that the Ace of Diamonds is no longer there.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 08:53   #8
Brian-E
 
Brian-E's Avatar
 
"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63028 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I don't know, but it may involve 7 = 1 (mod 3).
If it's the very simple, self-working trick I remember from childhood, it works because 7\leq3\times3.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 00:55   #9
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

22×7×151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
If it's the very simple, self-working trick I remember from childhood, it works because 7\leq3\times3.
Yes, exactly. Working it with 3 columns of 9 instead of 7
might make the method more obvious to the victims, and
certainly easier for anyone in this forum to figure out.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 08:35   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

22×17×127 Posts
Default

I can do a lot of tricks with cards.

I can TF any range with video cards.

If you give me your card number, I can instantly max it, if it is a credit card, or empty it if it is a debit card...

Anyone wanna try?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:12   #11
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000110000002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I don't know, but it may involve 7 = 1 (mod 3).
I understand if you keep on repeating both step.

I'll show you with the numbers form 1-21

so lets say they are in order starting at 1 the three piles end up as:

pile1: 1,4,7,10,13,16,19
pile2: 2,5,8,11,14,17,20
pile3: 3,6,9,12,15,18,21

they pick a pile (say pile 2) and we stack the piles and deal new ones ( so the cards in each pile get mixed up):

pile1: 1,10,19,8,17,6,15
pile2: 4,13,2,11,20,9,18
pile3: 7,16,5,14,3,12,21

now the original pile 2 is split up they say it's in pile 2 again ( since these 3 cards are consecutive in the same pile they all go to different piles if the stack and deal are repeated, therefore you can tell which of these 3 cards was in which pile, and with stacking paid attention to where it is in that pile therefore when you take it behind your back keeping track of which way to count them you count that many cards in and you have their card.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2013-05-26 at 21:14
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PARI/GP tips and tricks CRGreathouse PARI/GP 40 2018-02-15 18:20
Looking at new GPU card for less than $450 section31 GPU Computing 4 2016-01-19 17:04
How well would this card do? Rodrigo GPU Computing 31 2011-08-01 19:44
How To Evaluate SNFS Polynomial Tricks? wblipp Factoring 4 2011-04-15 16:22
card probability Mini-Geek Math 8 2007-09-25 20:00

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:41.

Sat Aug 15 14:41:18 UTC 2020 up 2 days, 11:16, 1 user, load averages: 2.12, 1.79, 1.76

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.