Old 2012-10-11, 07:18   #23
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

100111110110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Anyway, the copy of my submitted monthly AAVSO observations from that month 8/81 is the only one I still have - tucked away in the back flap of my Norton's Star Atlas. Summary for the month
That was just before I started serious VS observations. In my case it was when working as a post-doc but before getting married. My observations were submitted to the BAA VSS (the British equivalent of the AAVSO) and to _The Astronomer_ magazine --- a rapid report publication for active observers. I'll have a rummage around to see whether I kept any records.

BTW, your coverage suggests that you lived in a much less cloudy area than I did at the time. Not difficult, I suppose, as the UK weather is globally notorious for such things.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 18:47   #24
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

27×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Stars are variably starry [aol]Me too !!!?!!!???!!![/aol]...
Starry and horroshow are my favorite Burgess' words.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 18:54   #25
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×3×5×79 Posts

*sneak*
*backstab*
www.planethunter.org
*poof*
*dissapear*
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 21:55   #26
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

10328 Posts

I was always interested in variable stars, but just couldn't participate regularly enough. During the late 80s and 90s, though, every night of observing (when it was possible, at least) included a check of T Pyxidis, a recurrent nova. Based on its roughly 22 year cycle, I kept watching for years for the huge outburst, but it finally came 20 years late, in 2011 (which I missed....)

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 01:24   #27
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101100101001112 Posts

Friend from Oz forwarded this, figured it a good way to revive the too-long-dormant Astormony (an anagram reflecting - pardon pun! - the kind of weather which might well lead to such dormancy ... or at least serve as an official excuse) thread:

Teenage astronomer aims for the stars - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Spectacular photos! Kid's clearly got loads of talent and drive, hopefully a bright career in astronomy or some kindred field awaits.

My personal favorite is the one (right above the eclipsed moon) of the galactic disc tilting down toward the horizon - are those the 2 Magellanic clouds at left of the frame?

------------------------

p.s.: I merged the small "Stars are Variably Starry" thread in with this one, hopefully no one objects.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2015-02-17 at 01:28
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 08:32   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×5,101 Posts

Quote:
My personal favorite is the one (right above the eclipsed moon) of the galactic disc tilting down toward the horizon - are those the 2 Magellanic clouds at left of the frame?
Mine is that of ω Cen. OK, it's a bright easy globular but it's still a superb picture.
Old 2015-02-17, 20:11   #29
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·23·71 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Mine is that of ω Cen. OK, it's a bright easy globular but it's still a superb picture.
I'm most taken with the "Carina nebula". Is that Eta Carinae by the way, or just some other nebula in the same part of the sky?

He's lucky to live in a part of the world with little light pollution as well as in the more interesting Southern Hemisphere.

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2015-02-17 at 20:11
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 21:07   #30
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×32×7×67 Posts

Anyone been following the recent images from Dawn, Rosetta, and New Horizons? This year is going to be wonderful for minor body studies.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 21:15   #31
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×5,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
He's lucky to live in a part of the world with little light pollution as well as in the more interesting Southern Hemisphere.
True for the first though I'd phrase the second as differently interesting. We don't get to see the LMC and SMC here but they don't get as good views of M33, M31 and its satellites and don't see M81/M82 at all. Variables, doubles and sundry other Messier / NGC objects are reasonably well distributed in both hemispheres. More of the latter are towards to the galactic centre but remember that Messier observed from France so it aint all bad.
Old 2015-02-17, 21:59   #32
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×23×71 Posts

Quote:
True for the first though I'd phrase the second as differently interesting. We don't get to see the LMC and SMC here but they don't get as good views of M33, M31 and its satellites and don't see M81/M82 at all. Variables, doubles and sundry other Messier / NGC objects are reasonably well distributed in both hemispheres. More of the latter are towards to the galactic centre but remember that Messier observed from France so it aint all bad.
Okay, I guess I was suffering from grass-always-greener syndrome there. I remember our big spiral neighbour always being a clear naked-eye object 22+ years ago when I lived in the UK, even though I was in a large city at the time (Birmingham). The light pollution here (NL) and now is so bad that M31 is never visible with the naked eye.

I visited New Zealand and Australia a few years ago and took the opportunity to look at the Southern sky (naked eye only). I was disappointed never to manage to see our closest dwarf galaxies LMC and SMC, but I was pleased to be able to identify Alpha Centauri in our closest star system. (That's about my level, I'm afraid, but the night sky is gratifying to all of us.)
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 04:28   #33
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

7×23×71 Posts

Spectacular Venus-Jupiter conjunction | Tonight | EarthSky

Just went out to look for it, very nicely visible just above the high clouds above the W horizon (West coast frame of reference). Roughly 1 degree apart - that's about the same as the apparent diameter of the full-moon, which happens to be rising above the SE horizon in the opposite direction.

For the non-familiar-with-common-appearance-of-the-naked-eye-planets, Venus is the brighter one, leftmost of the pair.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote