Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2012-01-30, 01:14   #34
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Each to his own. I wasn't saying you were wrong -- just that in the comparison, Canticle wins in my book (so to speak). In class, it was part of the "Religion and SpecFic" unit.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 01:29   #35
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

233268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Each to his own. I wasn't saying you were wrong -- just that in the comparison, Canticle wins in my book (so to speak). In class, it was part of the "Religion and SpecFic" unit.
I didn't take it ill. 'Canticle' is truly outstanding. Once you brought it up I had to consider the comparison. Though I mentioned a personal "Top Ten", I would be hard put to populate it definitively. As I said, I've read a lot of scifi in my life. "The Left Hand of Darkness" is one of my absolute favorites: another I've read several times over.

However, if 'Canticle' made such an impression, you might like the aforementioned "Anathem" by Stephenson. It has a rather different twist on monastic orders, and not exactly in a religious sense. Of course, those terms are used rather flexibly.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 02:35   #36
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Heh, the number of SF books that I've read is definitely < 20. There are more mentioned in this thread than that.
Old 2012-01-30, 14:19   #37
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·13·293 Posts

This series is not SciFi, and it is written at the 5th or 6th grade reading level, but it is one of the best series we have ever read:

http://www.michellepaver.com/wolf-brother

Wolf Brother ⇒ Spirit Walker ⇒ Soul Eater ⇒ Outcast ⇒ Oath Breaker ⇒ Ghost Hunter
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 17:43   #38
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2·5,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Heh, the number of SF books that I've read is definitely < 20. There are more mentioned in this thread than that.
The number in my library is well over 200. I've really no idea how many there are in total, but it extends to well over seven metres of shelf space and, AFAIK, I've read all of them at least once. I've read a good number of books of which I don't possess a copy.

All I'm really saying, of course, is that I've been reading SF for many years longer than you.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 17:45   #39
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×5,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The number in my library is well over 200. I've really no idea how many there are in total, but it extends to well over seven metres of shelf spacel
I've just counted 20 books in half a metre of shelf space. Assuming this is a typical sample, there must be 300 or more books on the shelves.

Paul
Old 2012-01-30, 17:53   #40
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
This series is not SciFi, and it is written at the 5th or 6th grade reading level, but it is one of the best series we have ever read:

http://www.michellepaver.com/wolf-brother

Wolf Brother ⇒ Spirit Walker ⇒ Soul Eater ⇒ Outcast ⇒ Oath Breaker ⇒ Ghost Hunter
It sounds interesting. LeGuin has some young adult books of which I've read two. Well written books can transcend the seeming limitations of reading level. In the end, adults face many of the same problems and conflicts which beset younger people.

I sometimes wish that there was a more-inclusive category than SciFi. The differences between Fantasy, etc. and SciFi often come down to not much more than settings and technology levels. And remember, one person's technology is magic to one who doesn't understand it. There's sometimes a fine line between Classic SciFi, and Sword and Sorcery Fantasy tales.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 18:02   #41
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×5,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
And remember, one person's technology is magic to one who doesn't understand it.
Clarke's third law.

Its corollary is that any technology which is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Ob-SF-recommendation: Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series.

Paul
Old 2012-01-30, 18:05   #42
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

22·32·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
ditto to these, which are a mix of SciFi and Fantasy:
Myth Adventures
Phule's Company
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 18:18   #43
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32×1,021 Posts

Quote:
Dan Simmons: Written a good bit. The Hyperion tetralogy is my favorite.
I agree fully.

Simmons is a surprisingly versitile writer.

His "Joe Kurtz" series is also worth a read (although not SF).

And his "Prayers to Broken Stones" (a collection of his early short-story work) is an interesting insight to the writer's development.

("The Crook Factor" and "Darwin's Blade" are also an interesting read; skip "A Winter Haunting" and "Drood".)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 22:25   #44
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
I sometimes wish that there was a more-inclusive category than SciFi. The differences between Fantasy, etc. and SciFi often come down to not much more than settings and technology levels. And remember, one person's technology is magic to one who doesn't understand it. There's sometimes a fine line between Classic SciFi, and Sword and Sorcery Fantasy tales.
I told you my class was called Speculative Fiction; to elaborate, it included all of the above. Supposedly (according to my teacher), in the literary world of people with Literature degrees (with a big L), 'SciFi' and its variations are a 'derogatory' or 'insulting' whatever word, and Speculative Fiction is the preferred name, which includes Fantasy. Us in the class, not being literary people, just used SciFi, Fantasy, SpecFic, or most ambiguously and succinctly, SF.

I personally preferred the SciFi parts of the class, but I'm not adverse to a good fantasy, and certainly there was a decent chunk of the class that preferred fantasy. (And then of course there's always the crossovers.)