mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2010-11-10, 20:55   #12
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·3·5·79 Posts

also, there is Bernard Werber, A french author, with his trilogie ' The ants' might be more suited to young adult, and his other books ('the thanatoanutes').
however, i 'm not sure if they have an english version.

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2010-11-10 at 21:19
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 20:56   #13
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

63148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Stephenson (especially Cryptonomicon): heartily concur
I'll second (third?) that, but again, this may be a biased crowd .
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 21:11   #14
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
I'll second (third?) that, but again, this may be a biased crowd .
Snow Crash was a lot of fun especially the crescendo toward the end. The Diamond Age was good and in a beautiful style. Hard to single one out as best. Didn't enjoy Zodiac though
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 21:14   #15
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Stephenson: heartily concur, on the assumption that you mean Neal Stephenson. I especially like Cryptonomicon but I'm not to be trusted because I'm a cryptogeek with an interest in WWII cryptanalysis.

Personally I like Ursula Le Guin but, then, I may not be typical.

In the hard fiction category, Robert L Forward is by far the best IMAO. For space opera, good old Doc Smith is hard to follow but my earlier recommendations make it, as does Alistair Ryenolds whom I forgot to mention in the previous post.

Paul
Ursula Le Guin is good; The Lathe of Heaven really resonated with me.
I agree that Forward has the best hard,hard science. I loved his nonfiction "Future Magic" book

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2010-11-10 at 21:17 Reason: typo -- can't leave author name misspelled
Old 2010-11-10, 21:16   #16
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

100111110110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I haven't read science fiction for a while and am looking for recommendations. I like it to be believable/realistic/thought provoking or just funny.
If you want funny, read Eric Frank Russell. One of the all-time greats.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 21:41   #17
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
If you want funny, read Eric Frank Russell. One of the all-time greats.

Paul
It might be that I completely missed him; I'll try to rectify that sometime soon.

I believe Jack Vance is quite good but strangely seems to be rarely mentioned. His work is whimsical and amusing. Over the years I have seen several author dedications to him. His demon prince series is about a man who dedicates his life in a very large space opera way to getting a complete and unlikely revenge that in the end seems unsatisfying. His Dying Earth series is fun, lighthearted read but is more properly fantasy literature.

Donald Moffitt is good; he is one of the authors I was straining to remember. A Gathering of Stars and Crescent in the Sky have a rich Islamic setting

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2010-11-10 at 22:27 Reason: added Jack Vance; Donald Moffitt
Old 2010-11-10, 21:59   #18
Phil MjX

Sep 2004

B916 Posts

And if you want to try cyberpunk : William Gibson, from "Neuromancer" and its celebrissime Matrix to "spook country", its last book (in french at least).

Last fiddled with by Phil MjX on 2010-11-10 at 22:02
Phil MjX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 23:09   #19
enderak

Feb 2009

3·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
Hey, I like that one too. :P
Speaker for the Dead has always been my favorite of the series, though.

Daemon and FreedomTM by Daniel Suarez are good reads as well.

Was never able to get into Neuromancer, I gave up about 2/3 through. I like the story, but the writing style just didn't work for me or something.
enderak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 00:01   #20
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×29×101 Posts

I forgot all about "Fantastic Voyage" by Asimov. If you want to avoid reading a series, then this book would be a good choice.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 02:49   #21
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

23×32×72 Posts

I used to read a great deal of scifi, especially at the shorter lengths, but fill up my time with hobby programming now. Random selections:

- 'Contact' was a good film but a fabulous book by Carl Sagan
- Ray Bradbury wrote wonderful short works ('Kaleidoscope' is pretty much my favorite written work)
- Cordwainer Smith wrote beautiful alternate history in four anthologies
- Charles Stross is a more modern read that was very enjoyable
- Gardner Dozois' 'Geodesic Dreams' has awesome short work of his, and his Year's Best Science Fiction anthology series has consistently been wonderful for getting good short scifi every year (it's probably in its 25th year now)
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 05:35   #22
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

1110101010102 Posts

I've been trying to remember some of the mathematicians and computer scientists that I've read and enjoyed in Science Fiction. Of course many of these writers wear many hats. Just now Rudy Rucker springs to mind. I am trying to remember an Ian fellow that has some time travel /alternate world books that are good... I'm blocking at the moment because I keep thinking of Ian Stewart and I know that is not what I want to remember.

I think that I am thinking of Robert J. Sawyer. I know that is not an Ian. I haven't quite mastered this protean protein processor... a manual, super user status, a loaf of bread, a bell, book, and candle.. no that's not quite right either.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2010-11-11 at 05:45 Reason: added coda