Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2018-01-05, 21:29   #12
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2·5·13·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmick View Post
Wow. Slackware. Now there is an OS that I haven't run in... 15 years.
I just realized I haven't run RedHat since 5.2. Not RHEL 5.2, but the original 5.2 from the late 90's.

I never did try Slack. I should, someday.

Also, usage of systemd is optional in Gentoo.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 11:07   #13
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

24·3·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmick View Post
Wow. Slackware. Now there is an OS that I haven't run in... 15 years.
Did you ever hear about OS/2, Beos and MVS?
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 23:03   #14
ramgeis

Apr 2013

2×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Wow, old memories come alive. Prime95 was also a reason why I didn't continue using OS/2 at home roughly 20 years ago - as I didn't quite succeed in getting OS/2Prime to work, but I don't remember anymore why.
ramgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-08, 03:09   #15
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

BAE16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Speaking of BeOS, HaikuOS is finally approaching beta.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-08, 03:32   #16
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

280616 Posts

RSX11M....

We worked with it from ~'84 to ~'92 and we were so found of it that (in ~'89-'90) we wrote an emulator (on PC XT) for a VT100 terminal, hehe.... For the younger people here wondering where the "ctrl+c" is coming from, check the VT100 "ESC C" command.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-08, 14:07   #17
daxmick

Feb 2014

22×3×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
RSX11M....

We worked with it from ~'84 to ~'92 and we were so found of it that (in ~'89-'90) we wrote an emulator (on PC XT) for a VT100 terminal, hehe.... For the younger people here wondering where the "ctrl+c" is coming from, check the VT100 "ESC C" command.
Almost 20 years ago I was teaching a high school class. We were covering Cisco router CLI. Someone asked me what the <CR> was (as it was in the output of almost every help message in the CLI). I said "Well, CR stands for carriage return." ... ... blank stares. The kids had no idea what that meant 20 years ago!

Sigh.
daxmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-08, 16:37   #18
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

280616 Posts

Sure, I believe you. I don't need to look further than my daughter who has never seen a typing machine in her childhood, and she had no idea what a "carriage" is, until she have seen (and play) with one when she was 15 (or older, I do not remember exactly when we shown it to her). We still have that one (my father was kind of accountant, and used one, and part of our chores when we were young was to type some of his papers using that machine, therefore we learned typing at an early age) but that one is in our parents' house in Romania (our parents died in '99, the house is empty since that time, and we can not offer it for renting or so, because it is full of books which we never had time to sort, as we are going to Romania once a year, or once every two years, for few weeks, i.e. we spend there too less time to do everything we plan to do) and our older feral teenager (TM) was not older then 1 year and 7 months when we moved to Thailand.

Edit: about <CR>, our high school teachers (this was in the beginning of the eighties) used to explain us the fact that <CR> is like a "token" to tell the computer we finish what we want to say, and now it is its time to say something. When you start to type a command (at that time, "graphic interfaces" were not known, neither in SF movies!), the computer has no way to know what is on your mind, and how many parameters you want to add to that command. Like the buttons for "walkie-talkie", you push the button, say what you want, then say "over", then the computer knows you finished and says something, then you say what you want again, and say "over" ("and out" hehe), etc, so the <CR> is just a code for "over". At the time, this explanation made perfect sense. And it stuck...

Edit 2: We love Norman. You can show it to your students and explain that "<CR> is the ding-bell you hear there", hehe.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-01-08 at 16:52
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 01:12   #19
Bitter

Feb 2019

2·5 Posts

I'm sorry to bump this from the grave, but how can I make the process display the output in a terminal window when running as a service at boot? I want to be able to just wake the screen and see that it's running without having to issue a command when checking in on it in person.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote