Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-12-01, 13:30   #1530
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×7×191 Posts

An FDA panel supports Merck COVID drug in mixed vote
Quote:
A panel of experts advising the Food and Drug Administration voted narrowly in favor of emergency use authorization of an antiviral pill from Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics to treat COVID-19.

The vote was 13 for and 10 against authorization. The FDA isn't obligated to follow the recommendations of its advisers but typically does.
<snip>
The Merck drug [molnupiravir] is taken twice a day for five days and works by causing a cascade of disabling mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus during replication. The drug is intended for use by people with mild to moderate illness and who are at high risk of developing severe COVID-19. It is supposed to be taken within five days of symptoms.
<snip>
An FDA summary showed that in the second half of the study, patients in the group treated with the drug were more likely to be hospitalized or to die than those who got the placebo. The drug's protection against death seen in the first half of the study didn't hold up in the second half.

When asked about this discrepancy by committee chairperson Dr. Lindsey Baden, Dr. Nicholas Kartsonis, a Merck senior vice president, said, "I don't have a satisfying answer to your question."

The ability of the medicine to cause mutations beyond the virus, as seen in some lab and animal tests, raised some safety issues that were discussed at length during the daylong meeting. The possibility of birth defects weighed on the panel, and there were reservations about prescribing the drug for pregnant people. But the drug could also carry some benefits for them.
<snip>
There were also concerns about whether the drug could cause harmful mutations in the spike protein of the virus, which is the target of COVID-19 vaccines in wide use around the world.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-05, 12:27   #1531
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·52·61 Posts

Omicron variant of covid19 attributed to adoption of some genetic material from a common-cold virus. That provides a basis for expecting both higher transmissiblity and lower severity. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...Ref=revcontent
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-05, 13:45   #1532
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

17608 Posts

<begin joke>
Have you ever heard of small pox?
Well now we have itty bitty pox.
<end joke>

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Let's stay healthy

M
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-06, 20:26   #1533
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

24·32·7 Posts
Thumbs up today is exciting because ...

12062021 Virus Outbreak US | | eagletimes.com
https://www.eagletimes.com › 12062021-virus-outbreak-us

15 hours ago — 12062021 Virus Outbreak US.
This May 13, 2020, photo, taken
with a fisheye lens shows a list of the confirmed
COVID-19 cases in Salt Lake ...

Regards,
Matthew
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-07, 22:22   #1534
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×7×191 Posts

Italian dentist presents fake arm for vaccine to get pass
Quote:
MILAN (AP) - A dentist in Italy faces possible criminal charges after trying to receive a coronavirus vaccine in a fake arm made of silicone.
<snip>
The nurse said the man acknowledged he did not want a vaccine but to obtain a "super" health pass, which from Monday will be required to enter restaurants, cinemas, theaters and other venues in Italy.

He had already been suspended from work because of his refusal to get vaccinated, which Italy requires for medical personnel.
<snip>
Old 2021-12-08, 10:27   #1535
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

3×11×13×23 Posts

Well... if the omicron is milder and it spreads faster, as the people talk about, then it occurred to me that THIS is the vaccine we need, against the worse variants...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 11:00   #1536
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

25×3×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Well... if the omicron is milder and it spreads faster, as the people talk about, then it occurred to me that THIS is the vaccine we need, against the worse variants...
Wait for the full release of Paxlovid, Pfizer's oral antiviral treatment should be able to fix the core problems. If the patients can take the pills and go home instead of occupying the ICU beds with the IV treatments, then Covid-19 will eventually be only as severe as the regular flu.
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 13:59   #1537
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

2×5×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Wait for the full release of Paxlovid, Pfizer's oral antiviral treatment should be able to fix the core problems. If the patients can take the pills and go home instead of occupying the ICU beds with the IV treatments, then Covid-19 will eventually be only as severe as the regular flu.

It's my understanding that most of the patients admitted to the ICU are in respiratory distress, i.e. they are having trouble breathing.

One of the Covid pills, not Pfizer's Paxlovid mentioned above but the one being touted by Merck, terrifies me.
It works by causing the virus to become ineffective by inducing mutations in it. Inducing mutations in the virus
sounds like a super bad idea to me.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 14:32   #1538
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·7·191 Posts

Paxlovid™ is a combination of two drugs, PF-07321332 and ritonavir.

Ritonavir (brand name Norvir™) is a protease inhibitor which was approved by the FDA for treatment of AIDS in 1999.

PF-07321332 is a protease inhibitor which apparently has been designed to inhibit the specific protease the COVID-19 viruses need to replicate. It has not yet been approved.

I'm sure it's nowhere near as effective as dietary supplements, Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin

I share the reservations about the Merck drug (I posted a news story about it in this thread on December 1).

I had the same thought as LaurV about the omicron variant.
Old 2021-12-08, 17:20   #1539
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

1000100101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

I had the same thought as LaurV about the omicron variant.
Ditto. If it is dominant to all other variants and replaces them and is as mild as getting a cold, perhaps we should let it loose. That is how viral-pandemics have been dealt-with/eliminated/normalized for millions of years, including the 1918 one.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 17:55   #1540
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

10110001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Ditto. If it is dominant to all other variants and replaces them and is as mild as getting a cold, perhaps we should let it loose. That is how viral-pandemics have been dealt-with/eliminated/normalized for millions of years, including the 1918 one.

You're assuming that being infected with Omicron confers immunity to the other strains.
It's been too long since my microbiology days to argue this with any conviction but it tickles my "spidey senses"
as being a dangerous assumption.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote