mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-29, 14:41   #1
stealthaxe
 
stealthaxe's Avatar
 
May 2003
Richardson, Texas

1210 Posts
Default Prime95 v25.7 Invalid CPU type

Hi,

I'm getting an invalid CPU type message from the Primenet server when I attempt communication.

Not sure if this is a program bug or something wrong with my PC, but the CPU says it's an "Athlon [tm] P rrlossosor" [sic]

Anyone know what gives with this ? Prime95 problem ? PC Problem?

Running Windows 2003 Advanced Server, it is an Athlon 2200 processor.

PT/stealthaxe
stealthaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 15:34   #2
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthaxe View Post
Hi,

I'm getting an invalid CPU type message from the Primenet server when I attempt communication.

Not sure if this is a program bug or something wrong with my PC, but the CPU says it's an "Athlon [tm] P rrlossosor" [sic]

Anyone know what gives with this ? Prime95 problem ? PC Problem?

Running Windows 2003 Advanced Server, it is an Athlon 2200 processor.

PT/stealthaxe
It is possible that some software in your system is changing the CPUID string at each start-up. AMD has it well documented in their processor manuals and explains how to do it.

Check your system for any program that may be set to run at start up. But by the look of the string above it looks more like something spyware or a virus might do just to show off that what they can do.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2008-10-29 at 15:35
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 00:28   #3
stealthaxe
 
stealthaxe's Avatar
 
May 2003
Richardson, Texas

22×3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
It is possible that some software in your system is changing the CPUID string at each start-up. AMD has it well documented in their processor manuals and explains how to do it.

Check your system for any program that may be set to run at start up. But by the look of the string above it looks more like something spyware or a virus might do just to show off that what they can do.
I've actually gone into the registry and removed everything from startup. Also removed everything from the startup folder in the Programs folder.

No change.

But I take your response to mean that there's not a known bug with prime95.

So is there a setting where I can force this value ?

Ot
stealthaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 03:32   #4
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthaxe View Post
I've actually gone into the registry and removed everything from startup. Also removed everything from the startup folder in the Programs folder.

No change.

But I take your response to mean that there's not a known bug with prime95.

So is there a setting where I can force this value ?

Ot
You can probably find some utilities on the Internet somewhere that can change it. I won't recommend any since I've never done it myself. But more importantly, you should try to find out where it is being changed. I guess it is possible that the BIOS can change it, also as I mentioned above, some malware (perhaps installed as a driver or a service) might be changing it.

The only other option I see is that the CPU is faulty, although that seems unlikely.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 15:24   #5
stealthaxe
 
stealthaxe's Avatar
 
May 2003
Richardson, Texas

148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
You can probably find some utilities on the Internet somewhere that can change it. I won't recommend any since I've never done it myself. But more importantly, you should try to find out where it is being changed. I guess it is possible that the BIOS can change it, also as I mentioned above, some malware (perhaps installed as a driver or a service) might be changing it.

The only other option I see is that the CPU is faulty, although that seems unlikely.
So I found a way to change this in the registry. Fixed it right up I did.

Removed prime95 completely.

Still, prime95 finds the erroneous value. Don't get it at all. I'm starting to think that something in the BIOS is damaged, but no idea how to fix it.

So unless there's a way in one of the prime95 ini (or txt, now) files to override this value, I'm going to have to use manual !!

Does anyone know a mechanism in prime95 to override the CPU type (name) ?

Pt
stealthaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 16:22   #6
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

67B16 Posts
Default

No but you could try to include the following line in your local.txt file :
OldCpuType=11
It should be right for Athlon if I read the sources well.

You must set the other characteristics of you CPU (instruction sets, cache size...) See the undoc.txt file. But I cannot help you concerning what vakues you would have to input except for that first one but as i sais i do not know if it will work.

To be sure it is not software corruption you should try to boot from another disk and see the information then (a cd for instance : Linux or Windows PE.)

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 16:50   #7
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11100111011112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthaxe View Post
Not sure if this is a program bug or something wrong with my PC, but the CPU says it's an "Athlon [tm] P rrlossosor" [sic]
This is a new bug report. I'm surprised the server is rejecting this CPU type. What is the error message? Have you tried emailing Scott?
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 22:38   #8
stealthaxe
 
stealthaxe's Avatar
 
May 2003
Richardson, Texas

22×3 Posts
Default Prime95 v25.7 Invalid CPU type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
This is a new bug report. I'm surprised the server is rejecting this CPU type. What is the error message? Have you tried emailing Scott?
[Comm thread Nov 7 16:32] PrimeNet error 7: Invalid parameter
[Comm thread Nov 7 16:32] parameter c: Invalid character: '' in 'AMD Athlon(tm) XP rrsossor'
[Comm thread Nov 7 16:32] Visit http://mersenneforum.org for help.
[Comm thread Nov 7 16:32] Will try contacting server again in 70 minutes.
stealthaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 15:11   #9
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

32×823 Posts
Default

Your CPU is definitely weird. The string returned by CPUID is corrupt.

I've looked at the server code and it does make sure that the CPUID string contains valid printable characters. I could override this on the server, but then your string might corrupt web reports that display the string.

There is no way to override the CPUID string in the client, I could add one but I really hate to as it could be a source for mischief makers.

Do the common windows utilities show the CPUID string as corrupt? The overclocker sites have links to plenty of utilities. A few years ago, CPU-Z seemed to be common.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 19:18   #10
Jeff Gilchrist
 
Jeff Gilchrist's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

22×293 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Do the common windows utilities show the CPUID string as corrupt? The overclocker sites have links to plenty of utilities. A few years ago, CPU-Z seemed to be common.
CPU-Z is still very common and can be found here:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

George: In Windows, how do you check the CPUID, read it from a registry in Windows? I remember a program I wrote once would sometimes get strange info because the data didn't get put in the registry properly. I even upgraded a CPU once and the data never changed in Windows so queries were reporting the old CPUID.

Last fiddled with by Jeff Gilchrist on 2008-11-25 at 19:23
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 19:34   #11
Phantomas
 
Phantomas's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Germany, Hamburg

1018 Posts
Default

If found that
Quote:
....notice that some chips support a partially programmable CPUID instruction -- thanks to those idiot programmers who hard-coded "GenuineIntel" all over the place...
on http://www.sandpile.org/ia32/cpuid.htm
Phantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Invalid URL IvanP PrimeNet 4 2015-07-26 17:37
Invalid certificate? IvanP FactorDB 3 2012-05-11 12:17
Prime95 not respecting default account work-type Matt Information & Answers 8 2011-12-30 18:25
Invalid Redirect URL? cheesehead Forum Feedback 5 2011-08-17 23:24
invalid root junky NFSNET Discussion 0 2004-03-26 02:14

All times are UTC. The time now is 09:08.

Thu Apr 15 09:08:55 UTC 2021 up 7 days, 3:49, 0 users, load averages: 0.97, 1.20, 1.34

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.