mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5

Old 2006-10-29, 00:21   #1
tnerual

Oct 2006

7·37 Posts
Default pseudo reservation of a k ...

ok here is my question:

my job laptop has non permanent internet access (once every 4-5 days).
i do not want to reserve a specific k and remove it from the LLRNET server.

but does the server accept results from non assigned pair ?

what i plan to do is this : pseudo reserve a k. i will put all k/n pair starting at n=130000 for the specific k in my worktodo.ini file in the llrnet directory.
so each time computer connect he will send results to the server. when the general testing with "normal llrnet" will reach 130000, i will be at 140000 or above so no k/n pair will be assigned and i will virtually be owner of the k except that it will still be in the llrnet server.
i will update my worktodo file eachtime a new dat file is released.

will it work ?
tnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 08:22   #2
axn

Jun 2003

2·32·269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
but does the server accept results from non assigned pair ?
AFAIK, No.

Quote:
what i plan to do is this : pseudo reserve a k. i will put all k/n pair starting at n=130000 for the specific k in my worktodo.ini file in the llrnet directory.
so each time computer connect he will send results to the server. when the general testing with "normal llrnet" will reach 130000, i will be at 140000 or above so no k/n pair will be assigned and i will virtually be owner of the k except that it will still be in the llrnet server.
i will update my worktodo file eachtime a new dat file is released.

will it work ?
Will you be able to use a big cache size to achieve this? I mean, calculate how many tests your laptop can do in 5 days, and set the cache size to that?

If you don't mind testing different k's, that would be the easisest option.

The other option is to reserve a k, and then manually send the results to me (say, once every week or two)
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 08:51   #3
tnerual

Oct 2006

7×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn1 View Post
AFAIK, No.
that would be a cool option to set in future version of the server ...

Quote:
Will you be able to use a big cache size to achieve this? I mean, calculate how many tests your laptop can do in 5 days, and set the cache size to that?

If you don't mind testing different k's, that would be the easisest option.
it would take about 2200 second so it's a test every 36 minutes or 40 test a day with the 100 test cache it's only 2.5 day (i know i can cheat this but it's boring to copy/paste/del the worktodo file) (and my job laptop will soon be upgraded from centrino 1400 to core duo i hope)

Quote:
The other option is to reserve a k, and then manually send the results to me (say, once every week or two)
i think it's the best option, i will take 341552 (highest open one) to manually test it. will ask lars to block it from say 125000.

thanks for your fast answer

Last fiddled with by tnerual on 2006-10-29 at 08:59
Old 2006-10-29, 09:04   #4
yoyo

Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

593 Posts

Hello,
I use the llrnet client with a WU cache size of 100. After getting new wu I transfer the folder to the offline PC. I do this twice, because it is a hyper threading CPU. After checking all of the wu's I transfer both back and send/get new wu's. For this I have some questions:

The offline client always tries to connect to the server. Can I disable this?

Can I increase the WU cache size to 200?

If I don't send back the WUs to the server, how long will the llrnet server wait for the WUs until resend them?

yoyo
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 09:14   #5
tnerual

Oct 2006

7·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Hello,
I use the llrnet client with a WU cache size of 100. After getting new wu I transfer the folder to the offline PC. I do this twice, because it is a hyper threading CPU. After checking all of the wu's I transfer both back and send/get new wu's. For this I have some questions:

The offline client always tries to connect to the server. Can I disable this?
yes , in llr-clientconfig.txt, comment the line with server address and the line with port number (add "--" in front of the line) it work for me.

Quote:
Can I increase the WU cache size to 200?
yes you can but it will only get 100. the trick is to transfer lines from another worktodo file. (cut, paste, save) you can merge two worktodo files to go up to 200 you can even use 500 or more

Quote:
If I don't send back the WUs to the server, how long will the llrnet server wait for the WUs until resend them?
i hear something like 14 days ... but even if you send back the results after 2 month, they will be considered as double check i think, not very usefull at the moment
Old 2006-10-29, 10:13   #6
axn

Jun 2003

2·32·269 Posts

Quote:
Looks like you could reserve a k for offline testing
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 16:18   #7
ltd

Apr 2003

30416 Posts

It is possible that the idea from tnerual would even work.
I have never tried it out.
Depending on the result table used by the server to store those results
one of three things would happen.

1. They enter the DB as normal first pass tests
2. They enter the DB as double checks.
3. They are dropped either by the llrnet server or by the script

For the reservation border of 100 this is a limit set into the llrnet client to
stop runaway clients from reserving all the work.
I think it could be possible to change the limit but on the other hand within the next weeks the test time will increase enough so that 100 tests last long enough.

The server starts to reassign tests where no results were send back within
the last 14 days. If a result comes in after that time it will be used as double check.

Hope i ansewered all questions.

Lars
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 16:28   #8
tnerual

Oct 2006

7×37 Posts

just tried with the first result of my k:
Result 341552/125006 succesfully sent to the server.
but it's not in the riesel live results. ==> waiting next hourly update to see if it's double check accepted.
Old 2006-10-29, 16:47   #9
ltd

Apr 2003

14048 Posts

I have looke up your results in the transfer tables. It has entered the system in a way that a restriction within my own scripts will drop the results. So receiving by the server works without any problems but there is an issue with my scripts.

I can change the behaviour of my scripts to accept those results but this will take a little bit of thinking. The earliest time i can do this is next weekend as i will be out of town again from tuesday to saturday and there are some other more important things i have to do on monday.

Lars
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 16:59   #10
tnerual

Oct 2006

4038 Posts

no problem at all.

i have a lot of time, i will be at work most of the times next week (from tuesday, they can call me 24/7 for one week ...and this happen every 5 weeks) i know I am always asking for special stuff and strange behaviour.
i would thank all the people who listen to me !
Old 2006-10-29, 21:38   #11
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350510 Posts

Quote:
i would thank all the people who listen to me !
Sometime's the way nonnative-English speakers interpret the language is like a kind of unintended poetry.

(No worries, Laurent, I'm just making an off-topic comment.)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote