mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Languages -- Ancient & Modern, Human & Machine

Old 2021-12-31, 16:23   #56
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

33·379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I have often noticed, on this Forum and elsewhere, the practice of using gratuitously arcane jargon. In some cases, this appears to be aimed at adopting an air of superiority over those who simply don't know the jargon, regardless of how well they may understand the underlying concepts. In other cases, it seems to be aimed at disguising the mundane nature of what they are presenting.
That is common in some industries. It is also a centuries old practice at some learning institutions. It helps to reinforce an us vs them mentality.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-31, 17:52   #57
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

23·13·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
That is common in some industries. It is also a centuries old practice at some learning institutions. It helps to reinforce an us vs them mentality.
The priests have been using the technique for many millennia, almost certainly long before any surviving records.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 03:03   #58
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Gracie on lookout.

419 Posts

Quote:
I have tried to render this into a Latin phrase modeled on the above quotation. I fear I may have botched the grammar. Could somebody who knows Latin please check the following, and indicate any necessary corrections? I have seen "Nil" rendered as "Nihil" in some renderings of the quotation from Petrarch.

Nil sapientiae odiosius obsuritate nimia
https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu...=PDFCoverPages
I recently came upon the above and a couple of allied sites where I'm learning from the master..math as well as latin, perhaps if you send an email there requesting a translation they may help. I'm not familiar with any Latin "dialects" where both instances may be correct relative to the context.

I had read some history regarding Paracelcus recalling a passage attributed to him where he stated that the medical profession spoke Latin in order that the general populace would not understand what was being communicated.
In order to resolve some of these methods of communication I use my "looking glass" and consider such information transfer as encoded relative to some context where the content is both explicit and implicit. For example, when reading a newspaper (online or not) you can recognize vanity press, favoured perspectives and bias, secret communications (occasionally) within the classifieds. And then there are riddles, https://www.ams.org/journals/mcom/19...-1197512-7.pdf

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2022-01-04 at 03:23
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-09, 18:31   #59
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

23×5×7 Posts

Quote:
There is a quotation, often misattributed to Seneca (See e.g. the epigraph to Edgar Allan Poe's story The Purloined Letter) but, apparently actually due to Petrarch (De Remediis utriusque Fortunae):

Nil sapientiae odiosius acumine nimio [Nothing is more hateful to wisdom that excessive cleverness]

I have often noticed, on this Forum and elsewhere, the practice of using gratuitously arcane jargon. In some cases, this appears to be aimed at adopting an air of superiority over those who simply don't know the jargon, regardless of how well they may understand the underlying concepts. In other cases, it seems to be aimed at disguising the mundane nature of what they are presenting.

This led me to think of a slightly different sentiment than the above,

"There is noting more hateful to wisdom than excessive obscurity."

I have tried to render this into a Latin phrase modeled on the above quotation. I fear I may have botched the grammar. Could somebody who knows Latin please check the following, and indicate any necessary corrections? I have seen "Nil" rendered as "Nihil" in some renderings of the quotation from Petrarch.

Nil sapientiae odiosius obsuritate nimia
You omitted the "c" from obscuritate: Nil sapientiae odiosius obscuritate nimia.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-09, 23:52   #60
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

14E016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
You omitted the "c" from obscuritate: Nil sapientiae odiosius obscuritate nimia.
Mea culpa.

Another post, another typo...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote