mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2011-05-03, 21:02   #67
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×36×7 Posts

OK. After Bok transferred the domain to my EasyDNS account, I made all of the changes to the IP address and the whois stuff. But it still doesn't seem to be "taking". Noprimeleftbehind.net is still unavailable and the whois page still shows Ironbits as the owner.

Perhaps it takes a little while to "take". Max or Dave, can you check my EasyDNS account and see if I've missed anything? Thanks.

Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 21:25   #68
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

112010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
OK. After Bok transferred the domain to my EasyDNS account, I made all of the changes to the IP address and the whois stuff. But it still doesn't seem to be "taking". Noprimeleftbehind.net is still unavailable and the whois page still shows Ironbits as the owner.

Perhaps it takes a little while to "take". Max or Dave, can you check my EasyDNS account and see if I've missed anything? Thanks.

Gary
It use to take some time but it works for me now.

Lennart
Lennart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 22:12   #69
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts

Whois says
Quote:
Domain status: clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 22:51   #70
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:

Gary
It's working here now too (and the whois shows your information now). Yes, DNS changes take a little while to "take"--various DNS servers around the world have the old IP in their cache, and that has to expire (usually within a couple of hours) before it will refresh it.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

@Chris: huh, not sure what's up with that. It may be that those fields haven't been filled in by EasyDNS, or they take a little longer to be farmed out to various individual whois repositories (or however that works).

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2011-05-03 at 22:58
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 05:12   #71
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×36×7 Posts

Well, after the noprimeleftbehind.net pages worked here for about an hour, they have stopped working again. I cannot access anything.

Does anyone know what is going on?
Old 2011-05-04, 05:21   #72
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111110111102 Posts

Now I'm really baffled. The links in the first post of the "LLRnet servers for NPLB" do not work. I cannot access my machines remotely. Yet the links in the "Come join us" thread at CRUS work perfectly and I can readily upload my CRUS updates. Yet they all point to the exact same domain suffix.

So the status at this point is: Some stuff works and some stuff doesn't.

Good grief!

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-05-04 at 05:22
Old 2011-05-04, 18:06   #73
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Now I'm really baffled. The links in the first post of the "LLRnet servers for NPLB" do not work. I cannot access my machines remotely. Yet the links in the "Come join us" thread at CRUS work perfectly and I can readily upload my CRUS updates. Yet they all point to the exact same domain suffix.

So the status at this point is: Some stuff works and some stuff doesn't.

Good grief!
See the PM I just sent you--I included instructions for refreshing your computer's DNS cache, which I think may be the cause of many of the problems you mentioned.

@all: as it turned out, the noprimeleftbehind.net MX records got messed up during the transfer of "ownership", so @noprimeleftbehind.net email addresses were inaccessible since yesterday evening. I've now fixed the problem; incoming messages may still get bounced for the next few hours or so (depending on how quickly your ISP's mail server gets updated with the new MX records), but within 12 hours or so everything should be fine.

Note that my old email address, <bugmesticky at googlemail dot com>, was unaffected by this; even though it was unable to forward mail to <max at noprimeleftbehind dot net> as usual, any mail sent to it wasn't totally lost. I only see one message there (aside from forum notifications and the like) sent to me there during the downtime; it's from henryzz containing some CRUS results. (@henryzz: I've now forwarded it to my NPLB address, so I have it on hand and will process your results as soon as I get the chance.) Any others, however, who sent messages directly to <max at noprimeleftbehind dot net> would have gotten bounced, so if you sent me anything you'll need to resend. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edit: I've added a note to the first post of this thread detailing a workaround that you can use to contact me if we have a similar email outage in the future.

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2011-05-14 at 06:13 Reason: email addresses edited
Old 2011-05-04, 18:20   #74
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×36×7 Posts

Everything looks great on my end now.
Old 2011-05-04, 18:54   #75
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

131328 Posts

Do you prefer <max at noprimeleftbehind dot net> normally then? I suppose it doesn't matter as it is redirected normally. Do you have a preference Gary(and if so is it gary, gdbarnes or something else <at noprimeleftbehind dot net>?

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2011-05-14 at 06:12 Reason: email adresses edited
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 18:57   #76
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

1020610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Do you prefer <max at noprimeleftbehind dot net> normally then? I suppose it doesn't matter as it is redirected normally. Do you have a preference Gary(and if so is it gary, gdbarnes or something else <at noprimeleftbehind dot net>?
It's Gary but I always give people my "regular" Email of:
gbarnes017 at gmail dot com.

I believe the <Gary at noprime(yada> address should get forwarded to the above anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2011-05-14 at 06:10 Reason: email adresses edited
Old 2011-05-04, 19:23   #77
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Do you prefer <max noprimeleftbehind dot net> normally then? I suppose it doesn't matter as it is redirected normally. Do you have a preference Gary(and if so is it gary, gdbarnes or something else @noprimeleftbehind.net)?
Yeah, it doesn't really matter...I use the NPLB address as the primary one but it all does go to the same place. In fact, anything (at) noprimeleftbehind.net will get to me because I have a catch-all set up to redirect any unconfigured addresses to the max box. (I have the <max at noprimeleftbehind dot net> account configured so that it can send mail from any of a number of addresses; incidentally, this is why some email clients, most notably Microsoft Outlook, will show such messages as "From: Max Dettweiler <max (at) noprimeleftbehind.net> on behalf of Max Dettweiler <bugmesticky (at) googlemail.com>".)

Regarding Gary, yes, his gary at noprimeleftbehind dot net address is redirected to his regular Gmail address (the reverse of how mine's set up).

Interestingly enough, because of the catch-all, if you send email to <gd_barnes at noprimeleftbehind dot net>, it will come to me.

Confused yet?

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2011-05-14 at 08:13 Reason: email address edited