Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2008-10-27, 13:12   #45
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

I'll join too, of course. Add me to the list. So, do I need to put RaidersOfTheLostPrimes_ in front of my user name or are we going to do that in the backend?
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 13:34   #46
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

1000000111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I'll join too, of course. ...
Sign me up too!
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 14:12   #47
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I'll join too, of course. Add me to the list. So, do I need to put RaidersOfTheLostPrimes_ in front of my user name or are we going to do that in the backend?
Nope, no need to mess with your username--we'll do that behind the scenes.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 14:14   #48
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
oh, i don't mind to kick off such a big discussion of the team names!

so, i will join the Raiders then, too!

one remark: the discussion of the team name is not a problem of the names, better a problem of the database:
if there were tables for results, users and teams it would be easiest as is.
change a team name in the team-table but the id (the link to the users) is not affected!

so it's good to invest much time in database creation before set up a database.
that's why i don't have it done yet with a database for rieselprime.org! timeconsuming!
Well, first of all, David, does the Admin link on stats.ironbits.net actually work? I tried clicking on it and got "permission denied" (rather than a password box as I got on Adam's server). Does this mean that it actually works but the permissions are messed up?

If that works, then I'm thinking that would be the best place to keep our database of users/teams since it's already partially built.
Old 2008-10-27, 19:49   #49
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts
Cool Raiders of the Lost Primes forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post

We could then go about setting up some extra goodies such as a team forum (we'd probably want to host that off-site, since mersenneforum doesn't have a clear section of subforums devoted to teams' internal forums). Another thing that teams often do is set up a stats aggregator site, but since our team so far is limited to NPLB alone, that would be somewhat pointless (and besides, other teams like Free-DC have already got really nice stats systems set up that do the job fine--why even try to compete? ).
Well, I did some research into free forum hosting places, and found a nice place that does free phpBB hosting with no ads either. I would have preferred to use vBulletin, but since vBulletin is $180 per license, phpBB was the next best choice.

My application to the Forum Gerbils Commission was received promptly, and they have assigned two gerbils to our forum for their first field assignment. These gerbils are apparently the nephews of one of the famed Mersenneforum.org Gerbils (though I'm not sure exactly which one they're related to), and were trained under their tutelage. They are anxious for some new posts to play around with.

I would, however, like to see about replacing the default phpBB smilies. They look like weird ovals instead of the little round smilies we've come to know and love. Ideally, I would like to use the mersenneforum smilies, but I haven't quite figured out how to upload individual smiley images yet.

Anyway, without further ado, here's where to find the new forum:

http://raidersofthelostprimes.phpbb.net

Let me know what you think!

Max

P.S.: I've also set up a backup forum for NPLB there, in case mersenneforum goes down for whatever reason. Not that mersenneforum goes down much, but hey, it never hurts to be prepared.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-10-27 at 19:49
Old 2008-10-27, 20:21   #50
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts

Quote:
P.S.: I've also set up a backup forum for NPLB there, in case mersenneforum goes down for whatever reason. Not that mersenneforum goes down much, but hey, it never hurts to be prepared.
http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...&&UserId=42211

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 01:41   #51
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Well, I did some research into free forum hosting places, and found a nice place that does free phpBB hosting with no ads either. I would have preferred to use vBulletin, but since vBulletin is $180 per license, phpBB was the next best choice.

My application to the Forum Gerbils Commission was received promptly, and they have assigned two gerbils to our forum for their first field assignment. These gerbils are apparently the nephews of one of the famed Mersenneforum.org Gerbils (though I'm not sure exactly which one they're related to), and were trained under their tutelage. They are anxious for some new posts to play around with.

I would, however, like to see about replacing the default phpBB smilies. They look like weird ovals instead of the little round smilies we've come to know and love. Ideally, I would like to use the mersenneforum smilies, but I haven't quite figured out how to upload individual smiley images yet.

Anyway, without further ado, here's where to find the new forum:

http://raidersofthelostprimes.phpbb.net

Let me know what you think!

Max

Okay, scratch all that: Xyzzy (Mike) has offered an even better solution, namely to have our team forum hosted in a subforum off of the NPLB forum here at mersenneforum.org. In keeping with Mike's usual sense of humor it has apparently been named "Oakland Raiders" instead of "Raiders of the Lost Primes".

Gary, I'll leave it up to you to go ahead and post some welcome material in the new forum.

As for the "old" forum that never ended up getting used--well, hey, maybe Gary and I can put it to good use by using its PM system to avoid filling our ever-full mersenneforum PM boxes with our frequent correspondence.
Old 2008-10-28, 01:59   #52
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Okay, scratch all that: Xyzzy (Mike) has offered an even better solution, namely to have our team forum hosted in a subforum off of the NPLB forum here at mersenneforum.org. In keeping with Mike's usual sense of humor it has apparently been named "Oakland Raiders" instead of "Raiders of the Lost Primes".

Gary, I'll leave it up to you to go ahead and post some welcome material in the new forum.

As for the "old" forum that never ended up getting used--well, hey, maybe Gary and I can put it to good use by using its PM system to avoid filling our ever-full mersenneforum PM boxes with our frequent correspondence.
Ah, I see Xyzzy has now fixed the forum name. Thanks, Mike!

One thing I forgot to mention: Mike set it up as a password-protected forum to emphasize the fact that it's a team forum instead of a whole separate project and thus avoid confusion. The password is "12345" (without quotes). (Gary, don't be surprised if you're not asked for a password, since it seems that moderators don't have to enter a password to get in.)

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-10-28 at 01:59 Reason: put the password in bold for emphasis
Old 2008-10-28, 09:10   #53
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

We should remove Team_UserName and just have UserName ...
Bok tells me he has the db all setup for that now.
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 10:11   #54
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×13×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
We should remove Team_UserName and just have UserName ...
Bok tells me he has the db all setup for that now.

That would be great.

Would it have an impact on the tabulation of previous results that have the team name in the ID's?

Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 15:46   #55
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

Don't think so, if you already have a known team name in the username, you either ignore the team name, or edit the username value to strip all team names out of the database that match. ;)
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote