mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
?
That team name in particular has been denoted both ways at times, I've noticed. When I made my Perl script a while back for converting the results to CSV, I added both to my list of team names to be parsed as such, since I figured it would be easier to simply merge the team names on the database end than to have results submitted with one of the variants be incorrectly credited as "no team", and have to fix that.

A month or so ago I sent IronBits my Perl script when he took over the stats (so that he could analyse how it worked, and if he wanted, simply use it for his system), which included the aforementioned list of teams stored in a teams.dat file. Hence the intentional double-listing on David's list would presumably serve a similar purpose to that on mine (though I don't think mine had the dropped "s" in the second listing).
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 17:33   #24
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

When parsing for the _ character as a team/name split, if a username has an _ char in it then we are going to have problems.
I can parse for the first _ char and split it up based on that.
Team_User_ID would not be a problem
User_ID would be a problem

Anyone have a better idea?
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 18:24   #25
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
When parsing for the _ character as a team/name split, if a username has an _ char in it then we are going to have problems.

maybe if someone has a specific word as their team name then u could recognize it and ignore it
that could be a way of getting round it
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 18:42   #26
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post

I've attached the Perl script I wrote a while back to handle the CSV conversion for Adam's old stats site--combined with a teams.dat file (a plain text file listing all known team names, one per line, like your list that you gave a few posts ago), it gets around this problem by checking to see if whatever's before a _ character in a username matches a vlid team name. You may want to implement a similar solution to this in your setup.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 aes-stats.pl.bz2 (702 Bytes, 149 views)
Old 2008-10-26, 00:10   #27
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

Thanks, still have your perl script you sent me yarns ago.
May need to use it one of these days, but I'm still having fun with DOS

::-------------------------------------
:USER
::-------------------------------------

set LINE=%~2 %~3&rem

for /f "tokens=1,* delims=_" %%a in ("%LINE%") do (
if /i "%%b"=="" set TEAM=-& set USER=%%a& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="Free-DC" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="ArsTechnica" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="XtremeSystems" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="AMDUsers" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="Team_Italia" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="XGrubbersKickAss" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="X Grubbers Kick As" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
)
set USER=%LINE:~0,100%&rem
goto :EOF
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 01:47   #28
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

I think we shouldn't abbreviate our team name in the account name thing (where it's teamname_username), even though RaidersOfTheLostPrimes is a bit long to put in. The reason is that acronyms for this are awkward, and changing the words around a little to e.g. PrimeRaiders or LostPrimeRaiders loses the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference and sounds weird. (like the focus is on raiding instead of primes)
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 02:43   #29
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I think we shouldn't abbreviate our team name in the account name thing (where it's teamname_username), even though RaidersOfTheLostPrimes is a bit long to put in. The reason is that acronyms for this are awkward, and changing the words around a little to e.g. PrimeRaiders or LostPrimeRaiders loses the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference and sounds weird. (like the focus is on raiding instead of primes)
Hmm...well, actually I've noticed that there are in fact a number of other projects that abbreviate all their team names (PSP is a good example that I can think of right off the bat). I still think that it would be better to abbreviate long team names such as this, since otherwise the long usernames might mess up the columns on the stats pages.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-10-26 at 02:44
Old 2008-10-26, 06:25   #30
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

237428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post

I'm with Mini-Geek on this one. I was thinking RALP instead of RLP because RLP looks too much like RIP or (heaving forbid) RPS. (lol) But RALP looks too much like Ralph. Having it spelled out is the most catchy for a name.

I would make it singular though. The movie is singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' so I'd make the team name singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Prime'.

'RaidersOfTheLostPrime' is 2 characters shorter then 'ArsTechnicaTeamPrimeRib' so the length shouldn't be an issue.

So will we need to change the ID on all of our machines? That is mine would become 'RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gdbarnes". Or would the beyind-the-scenes programs be able to figure out who goes to what team?

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-10-26 at 06:26
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 12:59   #31
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I would make it singular though. The movie is singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' so I'd make the team name singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Prime'.
I think that making it singular suggests we're looking for one or a few extremely large primes, while really we're looking for many small primes. I think the movie reference is definitely still there, and it doesn't make it sound awkward having it plural.
Quote:
So will we need to change the ID on all of our machines? That is mine would become 'RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gdbarnes". Or would the beyind-the-scenes programs be able to figure out who goes to what team?
I'm pretty sure we should have to change our IDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be possible to hardcode our usernames to this team.
This makes me think of something else, though: are teams supposed to be counted on LLRnet only, or can my manual work be counted towards the team? If it's the former, I'll most likely have the lowest rank of anyone there (which I might just have anyway, even if it's the latter, since I only have two Athlon cores ).
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 13:19   #32
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
I'm with Mini-Geek on this one. I was thinking RALP instead of RLP because RLP looks too much like RIP or (heaving forbid) RPS. (lol) But RALP looks too much like Ralph. Having it spelled out is the most catchy for a name.

'RaidersOfTheLostPrime' is 2 characters shorter then 'ArsTechnicaTeamPrimeRib' so the length shouldn't be an issue.

Gary
Okay, I see what you're saying--yeah, that probably would be better.

As for the username change thing: Well, the standard naming convention that we're using would be for you to change yours to "RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gd_barnes". The server should be able figure out the extra underscore, at least if its behind-the-scenes work is anything similar to my Perl script from before--this has happened for at least one username before, namely "Team_Italia_ET_" which is even more complicated because of an underscore in the name; I'm not sure how my Perl script handled that one (though it seems to have worked OK).

But, you know...now that you mention it, we *could* have the stats server keep track of team names without team prefixes of any kind. As I remember those were originally inserted back when we were using Karsten's manually updated stats, since otherwise he'd have to painstakingly keep track of who's on what team in a separate file. But now that we have an automated setup, yes, that would work. In fact, I remember that back when Adam was running the stats server we had to do just that, albeit for a short time, when we needed to jump through some hoops regarding Brucifer's stats. Namely: we had to rename his username to just "Brucifer" (though note: it was still marked as team AMDUsers at this time), then combine his stats with those from a secondary no-team username that he had done a bit of work on, thus ensuring that his PAST results stayed with AMDUsers, but any results after the switcheroo (as well as those from the secondary username) would go to team "-".

Long story short: yes, the server doesn't have any problem with keeping track of team names without prefixes. So, I make a proposal: why don't we make the team prefixes optional (like they are on many other projects which used to require them but since abandoned them)? Users who currently have prefixes wouldn't have to change anything, and new users would have the choice of whether or not to use a prefix (which may or may not be convenient, especially if they have lots of results submitted under a no-team, no-prefix username).

Opinions, anyone?

Max
Old 2008-10-26, 15:45   #33
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts

I think it should be plural,
RaidersOfTheLostPrimes

imho Singular sounds like we're looking for just one specific prime.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote