Old 2014-05-18, 01:15   #34
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27A416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageFault View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys - I really appreciate it.

A bit more money on ram is nothing - I can do it, if justified. And this seems to be the consensus - 32 GB minimum. I hear about cooling, in this case I want the best - cost inconsequential (it must last another 8 years). Big copper block recommendations please ...

I'll post back about the boart. I looked at three, one supermicro, two asus, at the same price point.

I will always use the official client - please educamate me on ECM and extreme settings - these interest me, I'm after the bizarre factor possibilities.
Hyper 212 is a good cooler and very inexpensive. It is not terribly heavy. The contact area is heat pipe direct. It will certainly surpass the stock cooler. At the high end there are Noctua, and various closed loop liquid coolers. The high end of Noctua gives many liquid cooler a run for the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=0&isdeptsrh=1
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 17:56   #35
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

111010112 Posts

Currently I am using my work box - it is i3, a store bought HP box. More than twice as fast as my old build (Pentium D).

What I mean by copper block is a large surface area air colled rig. I will never use water, as it adds additional layers of complexity, ones that are beyond the understanding of overclocking. Doubly so in Africa.

I have to do this, can't wait. I can always add additional boxes later.

Thanks,

PF
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 18:57   #36
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

11×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
The high end of Noctua gives many liquid cooler a run for the money.
+1. I ´ve been a happy Noctua user for more than 4 years, on a i5-750. Low noise, very good performance, running 24/7 for most of the time.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 19:13   #37
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

41718 Posts

The Noctua NH-D15 looks good... not released yet though..
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/631...iew/index.html
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 19:51   #38
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,897 Posts

Arctic cooling rate their coolers based on watts of heat. Does anyone know of any wider comparisons of coolers in a similar manner?
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/...g_capacity=111
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 19:56   #39
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×43×59 Posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,3380-12.html

This page and the following page give an interesting comparison of several liquid coolers vs the Noctua NH-D14.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 23:00   #40
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5·47 Posts

Thermal dissipation is always rated in watts (1 watt = 1 joule / sec).

Copper is the preferred metal due to its high thermal conductivity. Gold is better, but too expensive. Some day yes, as I have just discovered a coltan deposit and the company is very happy and my year end bonus is already 1 kg of good delivery metal. Let's see how much this may increase ... that would be an awesome project, a 9999 fine cooler block.

I'll look at the Noctua. Noise doesn't bother me - a constant background like a fan actually helps me to sleep (even the fop 38, remember those? I once had four of those, within a few feet of my sleeping ear!).

We shall discuss power. It is very unreliable here, cutting out several times per day, from a few seconds to several hours. My house is almost finished and I'll use a backup genset. These can be programmed to automatically kick in after a preset time of power loss - main feeds through the unit, and it will disconnect grid / start and connect local user. The resulting spikes are very hard on power supplies, so a UPS is essential. Recommendations?
Old 2014-05-18, 23:13   #41
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

111010112 Posts

I have looked at the Noctua and this is more than adequate - only concern is that it is too quiet. I'll DHL it in.

Thanks guys - next help me with the boart.

About ECM - how can I be more aggressive? Can I do more curves by adjusting the last argument in a worktodo line, the one ending in 3? What would be good B1 / B2 bounds, for the 9xxxxxx assignments the server is giving me?
Old 2014-05-18, 23:26   #42
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32·241 Posts

Quote:
I have looked at the Noctua and this is more than adequate - only concern is that it is too quiet. I'll DHL it in.

Thanks guys - next help me with the boart.

About ECM - how can I be more aggressive? Can I do more curves by adjusting the last argument in a worktodo line, the one ending in 3? What would be good B1 / B2 bounds, for the 9xxxxxx assignments the server is giving me?
Yes, Noctua is known for being whisper quiet...
I don't know much about UPS though, sorry.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 15:02   #43
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

144110 Posts

Quote:

Yes, you can adjust that parameter.
The "good" B1/B2 bounds are the ones provided by the server, as they take into account how much ECM has previously been done on the exponents.
To look for large factors, you can venture in the lowest exponents regions (say below 500K, where exponents have already been ECM-tried to larger values of B1/B2, so yielding larger factors, if you´re lucky enough to find one).
Check the "Results Queries" ->"ECM progress" page, and then "Exponents with no known factor" to see what I mean. The karger the value of B1, the larger the number of curves to run, and the more difficult to find factors. But if you are looking for large ones, that´s the way to go.
Good luck!
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 20:17   #44
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5×47 Posts

Thanks lycorn

ok I get part of it - choose low exponents and up the B1 / B2 bounds, in proportion to what I am seeing and then register the exponents. What about the last argument? Will the server automatically adjust this at registration, or do I have to do it (i.e. how)? I want to go extreme and have decided on 64 GB of ram. Who knows, perhaps I can find a monster factor in about a year or so.

My bush mansion will be ready by month end - details like plumbing and kitchen remain. Mountain top view is fine for me, Rwanda looks like a mini Switzerland. And that type of tobacco grows wild here ... as does coffee and all sorts of natural food. So this build is going live in early june. I am going to confirm specs here and order parts within a week or so. I check with the company's comp supplier and see what they can do and DHL the rest.