mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2022-10-03, 03:06   #1
ScottieMckinley

Aug 2022
Clarkston, WA

2×3 Posts
Default GPU TF

Is there video of how to setup a gpu on gimps? I've done alot of reading but it seems complicated.
ScottieMckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-03, 04:56   #2
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23×7×127 Posts

No how to video that I know of. Have you read the reference info threads for mfaktc, mfakto? They start with how to set up.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-10, 17:10   #3
ScottieMckinley

Aug 2022
Clarkston, WA

68 Posts

I've been reading through the pages of info and I give up. I can't figure it out. I'll run my GPU's on a different site. I do appreciate your info.
ScottieMckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-10, 19:01   #4
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

5·23·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieMckinley View Post
I've been reading through the pages of info and I give up. I can't figure it out. I'll run my GPU's on a different site. I do appreciate your info.
I have sent you a PM.
rebirther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-11, 04:04   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

280516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieMckinley View Post
Windows or Linux? AMD GPUs or Nvidia GPUs?

If windows, install MISFIT. If Linux, somebody else can advise you what to do.

If AMD, install mfakto. If Nvidia, install mfaktc.

All these steps are as easy as download and copy them in some folders.

Try first, and say the results. We can guide you on the way. If you want to read all the menus and all the cookbooks before ordering any food, you will end up hungry, regardless of the restaurant or dish. It is easy if you start somehow, and ask bull-eye questions when you get stuck. We can help better that way.

On windows, mfaktc/mfakto is used to do the TF effectively, using the GPU, and MISFIT is used to manage the work (get assignments and tasks from your preferred server, distribute the work to all your computers and GPUs, start/stop workers as needed, collect back the results, report the results to PrimeNet - everything very nice and configurable from a graphic interface). There are also alternatives to these combinations. Your pick. "I take my toys and go home" is not exactly a good way to have fun at parties...

On the other hand, "folding at home" may be more useful for humanity than finding a large prime...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-10-11 at 04:13
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-11, 06:21   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101010011101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
On the other hand, "folding at home" may be more useful for humanity than finding a large prime...
+1.

And this is coming from the guy who runs GPU72! 9^)
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote