Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2005-08-27, 22:08   #1
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts
Question laptop 24/7???

Hello

If I have a laptop running DC 24/7 will it burn down or catch flames or something ???
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 01:28   #2
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
Hello

If I have a laptop running DC 24/7 will it burn down or catch flames or something ???
I'm wondering similar things. Even though I don't own a laptop just yet, I'm very interested in the whole "don't run on battery power" option in many DC projects.

Enlighten me, please?

Off-topic: I'm very impressed with your go-getter attitude when it comes to actually taking the time to make the guides. I'm what you might refer to as a OmbooHankvald(sp?) wannabe.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2005-08-28 at 01:31
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 08:03   #3
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

28910 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
I'm very interested in the whole "don't run on battery power" option in many DC projects.
My guess would be that the reason you shouldn't run on battery power is
1) The DC programs are slower on battery
2) The battery gets used up a lot faster
But mostly my laptop is connected, so I just wanna make sure that it's not possible for it to overheat while I'm not around or something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
Off-topic: I'm very impressed with your go-getter attitude when it comes to actually taking the time to make the guides. I'm what you might refer to as a OmbooHankvald(sp?) wannabe.
lol thanks!
I'm hoping that the guides will make it easier to help potential DC'ers get started, and at the same time it helps me understand things more clearly.
Feel free to join me in the guidemaking if you want to

OH

Last fiddled with by OmbooHankvald on 2005-08-28 at 08:06
Old 2005-08-28, 12:36   #4
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

8,563 Posts

Quote:
I had a Toshiba I ran for a year or so, but over time the increased heat caused the HD to fail... I replaced the HD but within 3 months the second failed too... Some laptops aren't designed to get rid of large amounts of heat I guess... There is a prime.ini option to throttle the client to a slower speed which may allow you to run it with no heat issues...

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3434
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 14:00   #5
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,571 Posts

Iยดve been running factoring assignments (for LMH) for a very long time (over 3 years) on an IBM Thinkpad laptop powered by a PIII-700. It has been on 24/7, and so far I didnยดt have any problem. Maybe itยดs because Iยดm factoring, and that generates less heat than LL tests.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 15:12   #6
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

Oh yeah... I forgot to say that my laptop is an IBM ThinkPad R51 and the vent (the place it spits out warm air ) is at the left side.

I've also noticed that with some DC projects it has almost burned through the table while other (f.ex. Sierpinski Base 4) apparently don't heat up as much.

It would be nice to somewhere have the projects listed after the heat-generating ranging from warm as hell to fairly temperate..

Last fiddled with by OmbooHankvald on 2005-08-28 at 15:13
Old 2005-08-28, 19:03   #7
Citrix

Jun 2003

64616 Posts

Change the prirority of base 4 serpinski client to 9. Your CPU should FRY up.

Citrix
Citrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 20:24   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1166810 Posts

Quote:
Hello

I've had a Dell Latitude (PII-266) running 24/7 for over three years without any obvious ill effect.

It's been running the ECMNET client, and that's fairly cpu intensive.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-28, 22:19   #9
smh

"Sander"
Oct 2002

29×41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix
Change the prirority of base 4 serpinski client to 9. Your CPU should FRY up.

Citrix
Not true.

The client is already using all available cpu cycles when it's running at idle prio. Changing the priotity to 9 only makes it harder for other programs to get some cpu cycles to do their tasks.
smh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-29, 03:39   #10
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
My guess would be that the reason you shouldn't run on battery power is
1) The DC programs are slower on battery
2) The battery gets used up a lot faster
But mostly my laptop is connected, so I just wanna make sure that it's not possible for it to overheat while I'm not around or something like that...
You misunderstand, so I'll explain.

It would be very annoying to install a DC program and have it use up all the battery power because the user was forgetful. But the laptop is aware of when it's on battery power, so you simply incorporate a procedure in the DC program where when it detects it's on battery power it hibernates until it's rebooted or plugged in again.

Since I've never owned a laptop, but am forgetful, I'm interested in this feature for when I do own a laptop, whenever that is.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-29, 06:01   #11
ColdFury

Aug 2002

32010 Posts

Most people don't run a DC program while its on batteries because the hardware won't sleep and the battery will die in about an hour.

I run DC apps on my laptop 24/7 without any problems. My last laptop lasted almost 5 years doing it. However, my laptops are very big with good cooling. Your mileage may vary with smaller units...
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote