mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2017-01-08, 22:38   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default Firefox burned me again

I'd love to know what sort of magical incantation I'm supposed to use to convince Firefox to use my old tabs rather than wiping them out of existence every time it thinks I'm on a new computer.

Sane people would tend to assume that the browser would ask for a preference rather than have a "destroy the past" automatic setting whenever you start a new instance on a different computer.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? You enter your login details on a new computer and it restores everything from a past instance? I'd love to be wrong simply because it means I can keep it from happening a third time. Otherwise, I don't understand the point of the backup feature.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 05:50   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Go to the Add-ons, in the Tools menu. Choose Get Add-ons in the left column. See the screen shot for the thing you want. I have used it for a long time, and have managed to keep my tabs, and other elements where, and how I want them. (This is meant to symbolize beating Firefox into submission.)
It does take persistence to get things "just so."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classic theme.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	15492  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-01-09 at 05:51
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 05:58   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts

On further reflection, I think the Best Buy people might've had an employee with criminal tendencies.

The tabs didn't actually disappear, there was exactly one available. It was a password reset request for the game Runescape. My account is 8 years old and has some rather high stats and achievements associated with it. I'm thinking maybe someone was looking to make some money from reselling my account.

Edit:I also remember telling an employee the error tended to happen while I was playing RS, so maybe they were trying to do their job. Because of the large amount of doubt involved, I'm not going to report it.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2017-01-09 at 06:00
Old 2017-04-09, 03:50   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

I wish I'd figured this out sooner.

If you have firefox sync enabled and sync updates without giving you your tabs back, try first clicking on the square that's made out of three horizontal bars, then click on History(you might need to enable it if you can't find it), then click on Restore Closed Tabs.

This has happened to me like 2 to 4 times in the past, and I finally figured out the solution. And, yes, I'm freaking out over nothing, but if your entire social life for the past 2 years or so was 99% connected to going out with your family, you'd want full control over the things in your life you could actually control. (Paranoia sucks, but where's the border between fake danger and actual danger?)