mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2017-03-29, 17:47   #1
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

22·13·37 Posts
Default Space Man

I came across this photo late last night before heading to my rack. This is a carving on a cathedral in Spain. The cathedral is over 300 years old. So, where did they get the inspiration for it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carving.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	15844  
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 18:12   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

23×52×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
The cathedral is over 300 years old.
...but the carving is not, as a quick google search shows.

Quote:
The astronaut in the Cathedral of Salamanca, Spain, does not entail any mystery.

This figure was incorporated in the restoration of 1992, on the occasion of the temporary exhibition "The Ages of Man". They continued the original vegetation and included the sculptures of an astronaut, a dragon with an ice cream cone, a lynx and a stork.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 19:04   #3
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

22·13·37 Posts

Interesting! It sure fooled me. It appears the astronauts' nose is missing.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 19:34   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

22·3·401 Posts

Alto de las piedras, Colombia.
Museo del Oro, Colombia.
Palenque, Mexico.
Nazca, Peru.
Chichen Itza, Mexico.

All these sites have some interesting artifacts that in some way seem to interact with Space...
Here are some images.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 00:06   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Alto de las piedras, Colombia.
Museo del Oro, Colombia.
Palenque, Mexico.
Nazca, Peru.
Chichen Itza, Mexico.

All these sites have some interesting artifacts that in some way seem to interact with Space...
Here are some images.
That makes me think about how far we've come in the last couple hundred years.

It's been stated by some that if the Roman Empire hadn't fallen, we might've had the equivalent of modern computer around 1000 AD. Maybe people'll flame me about getting the date wrong, but my point is that things could've changed in a thousand different ways.

Makes one wonder, or me at least, if things could've been better or worse just by tweaking something. Is the US so awesome that the British winning the war would make 2017 worse? Or what if people actually understood the cause of the Black Plague, or at least the basic concept, before it occurred?

Even more fun, what if Jesus hadn't been crucified, but sent on His way with maybe a swift kick in the ass. We say certain things had to happen, but ultimately, nothing, really HAS to happen. If none of the things that make our world better hadn't happened, we wouldn't even know about the better world. We could guess and come up with ideas about fusion reactors and flying cars and robot butlers, but how do you explain something as simple as the benefits of clean water to someone who'd never been taught about it? Maybe there's stuff that can be easily taught that nobody knows because it hasn't been discovered it.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 16:51   #6
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

481210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
That makes me think about how far we've come in the last couple hundred years.

It's been stated by some that if the Roman Empire hadn't fallen, we might've had the equivalent of modern computer around 1000 AD. Maybe people'll flame me about getting the date wrong, but my point is that things could've changed in a thousand different ways.

Makes one wonder, or me at least, if things could've been better or worse just by tweaking something. Is the US so awesome that the British winning the war would make 2017 worse? Or what if people actually understood the cause of the Black Plague, or at least the basic concept, before it occurred?

Even more fun, what if Jesus hadn't been crucified, but sent on His way with maybe a swift kick in the ass. We say certain things had to happen, but ultimately, nothing, really HAS to happen. If none of the things that make our world better hadn't happened, we wouldn't even know about the better world. We could guess and come up with ideas about fusion reactors and flying cars and robot butlers, but how do you explain something as simple as the benefits of clean water to someone who'd never been taught about it? Maybe there's stuff that can be easily taught that nobody knows because it hasn't been discovered it.
Dystopia and ucronia (don't know the correct English word for them) are two of the most used and abused branches of science fiction. The what-if scenary might be brought forward by the most intelligent writers, and still appear like trash if developed by the amateur writer. That's because everychoice of the human beings, and every glitch of mother nature cause a change that will impact on the next one: it's quite hard to handle everything as you should (if you are a fan of Star Trek you surely understand what I mean).
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 17:02   #7
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Dystopia and ucronia (don't know the correct English word for them) are two of the most used and abused branches of science fiction. The what-if scenary might be brought forward by the most intelligent writers, and still appear like trash if developed by the amateur writer. That's because everychoice of the human beings, and every glitch of mother nature cause a change that will impact on the next one: it's quite hard to handle everything as you should (if you are a fan of Star Trek you surely understand what I mean).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_history

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history look like they may be possible for the second one the second one I list comes up on google search fo ucronia.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 20:28   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_history

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history look like they may be possible for the second one the second one I list comes up on google search fo ucronia.
Very interesting. So that means the Stephen King story about using a doorway through time to try to save John F. Kennedy would technically count as counter-factual story, just in a way that would make fans of that type of stuff unhappy that it was included, since the alternate timeline wasn't really explored all that much.

So, if I have it right, alternate history means adding details that weren't originally there, while counter-factual involves taking away some of the details and guessing what would happen.

And, then, I guess there's the straight up scifi stuff, like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, where you had things like Abraham Lincoln telling people to "Party on." Depending on my mood, that last one can be pretty fun.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 22:07   #9
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

27×13 Posts

Their other maxim "Be Excellent to one another" is good, too.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote