mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Old 2017-11-02, 10:22   #1
Brian Gladman

May 2008
Worcester, United Kingdom

2×263 Posts
Default Building GMP-ECM with Visual Studio 2017

As some will know, I am maintaining a Microsoft Visual Studio build for GMP-ECM.

I have just updated this build for Visual Studio 2017 with CUDA 9 on 64-bit Windows systems but I have not yet uploaded it to the repository as I would like to understand whether there is enough interest in Visual Studio builds to justify the effort I put into maintaining them.

Please also note that In this and future Visual Studio builds I am only maintaining support 64-bit Windows systems.

I would be grateful if those who have an ongoing interest in Visual Studio builds for GMP-ECM could let me know by responding to this post.

Last fiddled with by Brian Gladman on 2017-11-02 at 10:23
Brian Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 13:30   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gladman View Post
As some will know, I am maintaining a Microsoft Visual Studio build for GMP-ECM.

I have just updated this build for Visual Studio 2017 with CUDA 9 on 64-bit Windows systems but I have not yet uploaded it to the repository as I would like to understand whether there is enough interest in Visual Studio builds to justify the effort I put into maintaining them.

Please also note that In this and future Visual Studio builds I am only maintaining support 64-bit Windows systems.

I would be grateful if those who have an ongoing interest in Visual Studio builds for GMP-ECM could let me know by responding to this post.
I run it on Windows systems. It would also be nice if the ECMNET client (at least) were run more widely on Windoze boxen but that, probably, ought to be my responsibility.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 16:07   #3
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

5×349 Posts

Quote:

I would definitely make use of this.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 16:21   #4
swellman

Jun 2012

41×73 Posts

Me too.
swellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-03, 11:35   #5
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

I mostly use ATH precompiled executables for my Windoz machines:
http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=4087&page=36

I also succesfully compiled a Win64 executable on my Sandybridge machine with msys64+mingw64 myself:
GMP-ECM 7.0.5 SVN3019 with GMP-6.1.0

I never got CUDA to work though. So yes it would be nice if somebody would maintain a 'real' windows build, but don't put too much time in it, as there are other binaries available.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-03, 14:55   #6
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

133568 Posts

As far as I am aware it is the only method of producing windows cuda binaries.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-03, 15:18   #7
Brian Gladman

May 2008

2·263 Posts

OK, it looks like it is still useful so I will tidy it up and add it to the GMP-ECM repository.

Another issue that we have to face is the proliferation of machine optimisations we now have to deal with for MPIR (or GMP) on which GMP-ECM depends.

Until now I have been producing a number of static GMP-ECM binaries for the most used machines in order to avoid 'DLL hell'.

But I am now starting to think that the increasing number of binaries involved might make it more sensible to build GMP-ECM with dynamic linking to MPIR. So there would be only one GMP-ECM binary and users would choose which MPIR binary they use with it. This risks 'DLL hell' but I think most people who run GMP-ECM on WIndows are capable of dealing with this.

Does anyone have concerns about a move to use dynamic linking for future GMP-ECM releases built with Visual Studio?
Old 2017-11-04, 18:22   #8
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

10111011000012 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone have concerns about a move to use dynamic linking for future GMP-ECM releases built with Visual Studio?
I think you overestimate your users (and underestimate the pain of DLL hell...). Static linking is nice.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 18:45   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

29BA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I think you overestimate your users (and underestimate the pain of DLL hell...). Static linking is nice.
Seconded.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-05, 12:41   #10
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

Quote:
Another issue that we have to face is the proliferation of machine optimisations we now have to deal with for MPIR (or GMP) on which GMP-ECM depends.
Speaking of MPIR, I've noticed that some of the precompiled versions use that instead of GMP, is there any reason/benefit using MPIR instead of the GMP libraries?

Quote:
+1 to static linking
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-05, 14:59   #11
Brian Gladman

May 2008

2×263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
Speaking of MPIR, I've noticed that some of the precompiled versions use that instead of GMP, is there any reason/benefit using MPIR instead of the GMP libraries?
For the end user it is hard to say since these packages are optimised in different ways. Until recently, MPIR lacked assembler support for some recent Intel processors but it has recently been updated.

For myself as the developer and maintainer of the Visual Studio build for GMP-ECM, it has to be MPIR since GMP does not offer support for building with Visual Studio and I don't support any builds with the non-native environments.

Based on the feedback above, I have now set the GMP-ECM VS2017 build for static linking.

I have now tested this build with CUDA 9 running on a Quadro M2000M GPU on my Windows 10 x64 system running on a skylake CPU. All tests pass.

The downside of static linking is that GMP-ECM has to be built for specific CPUs/GPUs if full optimisation is to be provided.

Hopefully Jeff Gilchrist will be able to host a number of binaries. I can build some of these but others will have to tests them.