mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > YAFU

Old 2015-07-01, 13:44   #1
queremendi

Jul 2015

12 Posts
Default Using YAFU in Visual Studio

Hello everyone!
I am currently working in a project where I have to implement a plug-in that factorizes numbers. My intention is to use, within others, the NFS algorithm. I read in the README file that there are Build files available for MS Visual Studio Express.

Does anyone have an idea of how can I use the NFS implementation from Visual Studio?

Thank you!
Queremendi
queremendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 00:57   #2
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

67228 Posts

By far the easiest option is to call the YAFU binary and parse its results. Building from source requires compiling several other libraries, most of which don't have MSVC2008 build files anymore
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 15:55   #3
Brian Gladman

May 2008
Worcester, United Kingdom

10000011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
By far the easiest option is to call the YAFU binary and parse its results. Building from source requires compiling several other libraries, most of which don't have MSVC2008 build files anymore
Although the SVN version of YAFU doesn't currently build with Visual Studio, when I asked Ben if he intended to drop this build option, his answer was 'no' - i.e. he hoped to update the code to get Visual Studio builds working again.

But I must admit this was some time ago and, although I have been monitoring the SVN for updates that will get the Visual Studio build working again, it has not changed in months.

As I am keen to get YAFU working with Visual Studio 2015, maybe Ben can provide an update on the current situation?

Although I am aware that sections of YAFU code don't compile with the Microsoft x64 compiler, I was not aware of third party library dependencies that prevent this build. Could you elaborate please?
Brian Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 04:31   #4
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

2·32·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gladman View Post
Although the SVN version of YAFU doesn't currently build with Visual Studio, when I asked Ben if he intended to drop this build option, his answer was 'no' - i.e. he hoped to update the code to get Visual Studio builds working again.

But I must admit this was some time ago and, although I have been monitoring the SVN for updates that will get the Visual Studio build working again, it has not changed in months.

As I am keen to get YAFU working with Visual Studio 2015, maybe Ben can provide an update on the current situation?

Although I am aware that sections of YAFU code don't compile with the Microsoft x64 compiler, I was not aware of third party library dependencies that prevent this build. Could you elaborate please?
I have been working on a different project for a while now and haven't made time for yafu updates. But it is still my plan to get the visual studio builds fully working and a new version released. Just can't say when it will happen exactly.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 08:14   #5
Brian Gladman

May 2008

2·263 Posts

Thanks Ben, I am willing to help if an extra 'pair of hands' would speed things up.
Old 2015-07-07, 16:30   #6
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

DD216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gladman View Post
My understanding is that support for MSVC2008 in GMP-ECM and Msieve was discontinued, so that a more recent version of the tools is required to build those dependencies.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 11:45   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts

IMO msieve shouldn't drop any visual studio versions due to the gpu version only supporting certain versions of visual studio/CUDA.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 14:16   #8
Brian Gladman

May 2008

2·263 Posts

I only fully support the last version of Visual Studio to be released, which means 2013 at the moment. But I will support Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 at least until Intel and NVIDIA add support for the latter. I am certainly not maintaining Visual Studio builds for any versions older than 2012.
Old 2015-07-08, 16:15   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×5×587 Posts

Intel and Nvidia aren't the problem. There is a bug in the library that msieve uses that stops it working past a certain cuda version. My memory is that vs2012 is the latest that that cuda version will work with.
My vs2012 installation is completely messed up inreversively. I don't think I could get it to compile with vs2013.
I will confirm the numbers when I get home.
As long as you can compile and run a version of the GPU version that is fine.
Later versions of cuda will compile than work.
If you have a working build system set up for it I would appreciate a version that works on a core2.
I will investigate the situation with vs2013 again tonight.
Old 2015-07-08, 17:12   #10
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

16EE16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Intel and Nvidia aren't the problem. There is a bug in the library that msieve uses that stops it working past a certain cuda version. My memory is that vs2012 is the latest that that cuda version will work with.
My vs2012 installation is completely messed up inreversively. I don't think I could get it to compile with vs2013.
I will confirm the numbers when I get home.
As long as you can compile and run a version of the GPU version that is fine.
Later versions of cuda will compile than work.
If you have a working build system set up for it I would appreciate a version that works on a core2.
I will investigate the situation with vs2013 again tonight.
http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19615 states that the latest version of cuda to work is 5.5. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...l-studio-2013/ states that vs2013 support is added only in 6.0. Hence we need vs2012 support.
The binary in the above thread used instructions beyond what my core2 will cope with(I assume within gmp/mpir).
Old 2015-07-09, 15:20   #11
Brian Gladman

May 2008

52610 Posts

Cuda 7.0 supports Visual Studio 2013 running on x64. Are there any more details of the library bug that causes the problem with Cuda versions after 5.5?