Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2015-09-17, 17:00   #1013
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
A fun party trick is to use telnet to get web pages. It is really simple but most people don't even know what telnet is.

Another (unrelated) trick: In a previous life, we used to dial a phone using the hook switch. The phone in question had a lock on the dial.

Good times!
Been there, done that (the phone thing).

A long long time ago (maybe 10-12 years back?) I found myself regularly using telnet to port 25 to test sending emails on our SMTP server. I don't remember why, but that seemed the easiest way at the time to check and make sure it was working okay.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-17, 17:01   #1014
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Also, when are you gonna fix the off-by-one error in the PrimeNet Activity Summary?
Code:
57000000 55901  1 | 35999   152 19747           2 |                 3    43 |                   19704 |
That '2' does not match the '3'.
That info come from one of George's things... I didn't know it was off until just now.

I guess I can take a look.
Old 2015-09-17, 18:34   #1015
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

244616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
A long long time ago (maybe 10-12 years back?) I found myself regularly using telnet to port 25 to test sending emails on our SMTP server. I don't remember why, but that seemed the easiest way at the time to check and make sure it was working okay.
Been there; done that. Still regularly do.

I remember teaching a Linux course several years ago to (mostly WinBlows) SysAdmins where I demonstrated the technique. There were literal gasps from the students when I started typing SMTP and HTTP protocol lines and got responses (to different ports, obviously).

One actually exclaimed "No Way!!!" in a loud voice -- clearly most of them didn't understand that TCP is TCP; doesn't matter the tool used so long as the protocol is followed.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 00:16   #1016
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

1100110011012 Posts

Quote:
That info come from one of George's things... I didn't know it was off until just now.

I guess I can take a look.
Well, if I'm looking at the code that displays those results, it seems like there's just a funky little bug that accidentally subtracts the # of primes in that range from the total untested results when displaying.

I'll examine it a bit more and make sure that's really the problem, but I think it is. And of course it makes sense because there is a prime in that range.

I'm going to check with George on that though... he may have done that for a reason.
Old 2015-09-18, 00:38   #1017
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

169C16 Posts

Quote:
I'll examine it a bit more and make sure that's really the problem, but I think it is.
So another data point for when a new prime is discovered. We just look for the off-by-one errors to narrow down the range.
Quote:
And of course it makes sense because there is a prime in that range.
I'm not clear about which part is making sense?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 00:44   #1018
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5×1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
A fun party trick is to use telnet to get web pages. It is really simple but most people don't even know what telnet is.

Another (unrelated) trick: In a previous life, we used to dial a phone using the hook switch. The phone in question had a lock on the dial.
You phreak.
BTW, back in the day we have used a PC and a terminal program to access a mini-computer. And also played around with gopher back in the 1st half of the 90's.
300 Baud on to a BBS anyone?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 02:07   #1019
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

112×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
never, when I "started" to play with that is was already 2400 (and most probably at that time you had 9600 or higher in US) (edit: and netscape, hehe)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-09-18 at 02:08
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 02:55   #1020
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I'm not clear about which part is making sense?
I meant that it's clear why the (probably?) bug or whatever in the display is causing it to be off by one. Not that it makes sense to be off by one in the first place. LOL

Coming up here at the top of the next hour I'm going to try modifying the report to "fix" it... that way if I totally screw it up I can roll back and run again without (hopefully) anyone noticing. :)
Old 2015-09-18, 03:03   #1021
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
We had a 300 baud modem through high school.

Our first computer exposure, playing Colossal Cave, was on a terminal with a thermal printer for the "display" and a 110 baud acoustic modem for the connection. We used to save the scrolls of paper to evaluate our game when we were at home. We only got to play an hour or so every few weeks.

Edit: Fun trivia - www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-23.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 03:03   #1022
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
I meant that it's clear why the (probably?) bug or whatever in the display is causing it to be off by one. Not that it makes sense to be off by one in the first place. LOL

Coming up here at the top of the next hour I'm going to try modifying the report to "fix" it... that way if I totally screw it up I can roll back and run again without (hopefully) anyone noticing. :)
Ah... well, I did that... removed the "decrement by one" for primes in that range, and now I see why George must have done that. Now there's an equal count of "no LL" for every range where there's a known prime. Doh!

So, I'm going to put that back and re-run this hour's report. So... I'm not sure why that count would be off if it's counting the prime # in the first place.
Old 2015-09-18, 03:27   #1023
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

169C16 Posts

Quote:
So, I'm going to put that back and re-run this hour's report. So... I'm not sure why that count would be off if it's counting the prime # in the first place.
It must be a new hidden prime discovered in there!
retina is online now   Reply With Quote