LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

883310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Brilliant rant!
Found the time to watch it. To set the things straight and show my SIWOTI syndrome, what he says about Romanian (having different plurals for groups larger than 20) is false. Actually plurals are kind of easy in Romanian, other things are more complicate. And also partially what he says about other languages (Polish) is false. But we got the point.

Edit: Whoops! Scratch that! He is right. Only is not the plural itself that changes, but the phrase changes indeed! I had to think it over. Absurdistan... That is how we call our country sometimes. Not only because if something absurd happens in the world there is a big chance that it happens in Romania, but also, not long ago, thare was a fashion in the world, when you talk about totally absurd things or news and don't know where to place them, you say they are happening in Romania. See for example the vampires stories, as the most common example. That was generally because not much went out about the country, and people outside had no idea what's happening inside. And the name sounded good, resonant, hehe. When I listened to the clip first time I thought that he is doing the same. But after thinking to it, he is totally right! What a shitty language, hahaha....

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-09-01 at 05:07
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 15:00   #1135
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63158 Posts
Default Server maintenance starting soon

It's time for some server updates... the last time was a while ago and in my reckoning, it's due to get caught up (last time was back in February).

Starting in about 10 minutes from now @ 3:10 PM UTC on 2016-09-14, the server will get some patches applied and rebooted. Based on prior experiences, it'll probably need another round of additional patches and another reboot after that, so I'm estimating 30 minutes total.

EDIT: I split the work up a bit so there's a stretch of time here where Primenet is up. The delays are because the server itself is a virtual server, but I'm also updating the host OS itself which adds extra time to the process. I'm finishing up round two of the Primenet server updates and then another reboot and we should be good for another 7 months.

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2016-09-14 at 16:00
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 16:56   #1136
ramgeis

Apr 2013

22×29 Posts
Default error code 11

Today I submitted some manual results and I got an error on a few exponents where a factor has been found, like this one:
Quote:
Error code: 11, error text: Unable to call factorize on 1028042888169828421903 for M895403947
Submitting the lines again generated no error, everything was fine.
As I did the submission via 2-3 submission forms in parallel I assume that this situation triggered the behavior - maybe a resource needed for checking the factor was busy. (?)
I thought this might be worth mentioning...
ramgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 18:19   #1137
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgeis View Post
Today I submitted some manual results and I got an error on a few exponents where a factor has been found, like this one:
Submitting the lines again generated no error, everything was fine.
As I did the submission via 2-3 submission forms in parallel I assume that this situation triggered the behavior - maybe a resource needed for checking the factor was busy. (?)
I thought this might be worth mentioning...
Did you happen to try submitting during the time period when I was installing updates on the server? I wonder if that could have done something.

When checking in factor, it spawns an instance of yafu to verify the factor (and make sure it's a prime factor). There's really nothing that would prevent multiple copies running at once so it may have been tied to other system resources being tied up as a result of my maintenance work...
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 18:44   #1138
ramgeis

Apr 2013

11610 Posts

Quote:
Did you happen to try submitting during the time period when I was installing updates on the server? I wonder if that could have done something
It was roughly 10 hours ago.
ramgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 07:17   #1139
GP2

Sep 2003

A1516 Posts

Quote:
Anyway... to keep it on topic, so yeah, I guess I should find a way and time to alter some columns to nvarchar just to make sure we're storing display names (at the very least) in a suitable way.
I took a systematic look at the non-ASCII usernames in the database, using a Python script to semi-automate deciphering the mojibake.

There are about 1920 names that contain at least one character outside the 7-bit ASCII range (up to U+7F). Nearly all of these are from the username field, however in a few cases they are from the computer name field.

Since this data set is derived from the LL results report, it only includes users who have returned at least one LL or DC result. Note the Factors Found report does not include user names. There are probably many times more users registered who never returned any result.

Of the approximately 1920 names, about 1480 of them are correctly interpreted as the Latin-1 subset of Unicode (characters up to U+FF), and therefore already display correctly.

The remainder of approximately 440 are a mix of Eastern European, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Japanese, Turkish, Baltic, etc. There is also some bogus UTF-8 on top of Unicode (e.g., João Paulo instead of João Paulo), and some bogus HTML entities on top of Unicode (e.g,, Vladan Vidaković instead of Vladan Vidaković).

In nearly every single case it was possible to identify the correct Unicode name with a very high degree of confidence. There are only a very small number of cases that are ambiguous, for instance:

Text strings that aren't anyone's actual name, such as:
* tr?ýýýá
* òòòòòòò
* ^zu¨¹n
* -n+-¦<U+98> (a six-byte string whose last byte is the unprintable character U+98)

There is also:
* ®êïñï
which really seems like a legitimate string of some kind but I couldn't decode it.

Someone set their username to &#63743; which currently displays literally (M28633351), but if unescaped would turn into the Unicode character U+F8FF, which is in the private use area and is used by Apple to store their logo.

Basically, if you ever do create nvarchar columns, the data to fill them has already been generated.

Last fiddled with by GP2 on 2016-09-17 at 07:19
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 07:00   #1140
0PolarBearsHere

Oct 2015

4128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
There is also:
* ®êïñï
which really seems like a legitimate string of some kind but I couldn't decode it.
I think it could be Reini, as in, it's one of those display names where the user is picking symbols that look like the letters they want to use.
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 08:59   #1141
GP2

Sep 2003

50258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0PolarBearsHere View Post
I think it could be Reini, as in, it's one of those display names where the user is picking symbols that look like the letters they want to use.
Hmmm, that does seem to be a Finnish last name and a German first name.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-13, 17:16   #1142
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

32·11·29 Posts

Bug: can't updated account login username in settings.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-13, 17:32   #1143
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

13×239 Posts

@George/Aaron: I'm not sure if this is by design or not. Should users be able to edit their username after creation or not? The same form is used to create and edit accounts, and creating a new account (line 146) uses the user_login field, but when updating an existing account (line 174) the field is not updated.
It's an easy fix, but the question is which fix?
1) Allow users to change their username
2) Make the username field read-only on the form to make it clear it's not editable once created.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-13, 17:40   #1144
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

132348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Should users be able to edit their username after creation or not?
Why not? If the DB uses foreign keys properly then it shouldn't be an issue at all.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote