mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2014-06-10, 04:28   #1
deangram

Jun 2014

316 Posts
Default Did I just lose all that LL work?

I need some technical help.
I installed Prime95 on a new Windows 8.1 Machine. It all seemed to be running fine, an Intel Quad core so it had four workers. I checked occasionaly and it had error messages in the communication thread window. I ignored them. All four exponents ran for two months to 99.99% with "Worker stopped". It seemed the status was not getting sent to the PrimeNet server. I stopped the program and restarted it thinking it would pick up at 99.99 and send the results. But it picked up at 16.2 %. The new start is giving similar error messages in the communications window. Rather than dump the whole window, here's a sample:

[Main thread Jun 9 20:07] Logical CPUs 7,8 form one physical CPU.
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:07] ERROR: Unable to open spool file.
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:07] Unable to open log file.

and later..

[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Error opening results file to output this message:
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Unable to open log file.
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Error writing intermediate file: p49F2927

which repeats for all four workers.

It looks to me like the whole two months of work on four LL tests is gone because the intermediate files were not getting saved. The same problem is continuing, so new work is also not getting saved.

SO.. what happened and what do I need to do to get it working properly? I'm thinking "run as administrator" may be needed or I have file folder locations messed up somehow or need permissions to write somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
(to the moderator: feel free to move this to an appropriate forum, I didn't find an "error messages" thread)

deangram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 10:38   #2
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

24110 Posts
Default Frightful state

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangram View Post
... error messages in the communication thread window. I ignored them.
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Error opening results file to output this message:
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Unable to open log file.
[Comm thread Jun 9 20:10] Error writing intermediate file: p49F2927
I suspect that many viewers are aghast at your predicament and afraid to give what may be cruel advice.
Instead, can I ask of more symptoms, like whether the "Error writing to intermediate file" reported error condition has persisted throughout most of the two months, or perhaps just after an early 16% period.
If so, what configuration changes might have occurred along the way, or was the machine running for a 16% period before it happened to be rebooted?
It seems like a file-system security issue of some kind.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 03:34   #3
cuBerBruce

Aug 2012
Mass., USA

2×3×53 Posts

This reminds me of a problem I had several months ago. In my case, it appears the disk (the C drive) filled up. In addition to the disk filling up, it seems that it became impossible for any process in the system to open a file. This seemed to cause all attempts to write new save files to fail, and all attempts to communicate with the server to fail. At least the last existing save files that were successfully written were still intact. I had to reboot and let Prime95 restart from the latest save files. At least in my case, I only lost a small number of days of work.

Although I couldn't tell for sure what was happening, it seemed to me Prime95 was probably using up file handles when it ran into problems opening files, resulting in system-wide problems. This probably needs to be investigated.

Last fiddled with by cuBerBruce on 2014-06-11 at 03:35
cuBerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 15:57   #4
deangram

Jun 2014

3 Posts

Following up, I did some poking around.
The Prime95 folder was set to read only. I couldn't change it. I'm the only user and have administrator rights but it either gave an error message or appeared to change it but didn't. The Prime95 folder is in the "Program files" folder which may be something in Windows not allowing it to be changed.
The intermediate and backup files were in the folder, but they were all dated back in April. I figure there is no recovery of the lost work now.
Stopping and restarting Prime95 normally generated the same errors. I restarted with the "Run as Administrator" option, and it seems to be operating correctly. The intermediate files and backups are being written to without errors.
My concern now is that it may revert to non-administrator running if the system restarts.
May be a suggestion that the program stop processing after some settings adjustable time if the backup files have not been properly saved. A popup box with options to save to a different location might be nice.
deangram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 21:41   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
My concern now is that it may revert to non-administrator running if the system restarts.
In my opinion, non-administrator running of Prime95 is what you should be doing!

IMO it's generally a very bad idea for an application like Prime95 to be run as administrator for at least two reasons:

(1) Prime95 doesn't need administrator rights _if_ all the folders and files have been set up properly, and Prime95 wasn't designed to use those rights.

(2) Any application that wasn't designed from the start to be run as administrator could have more severe consequences in case of program bug than if it were running in non-administrator mode.
If a program failure requires administrator action (such as revising/moving/creating folders or file permissions) to correct, that action should be taken separately by an administrator, _not_ added to that program as an internal function.

I urge a solution that always has Prime95 running as non-administrator, but my unfamiliarity with Windows version 8 disqualifies me from further specific suggestion.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-06-11 at 21:47
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 22:03   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I urge a solution that always has Prime95 running as non-administrator, but my unfamiliarity with Windows version 8 disqualifies me from further specific suggestion.
Well, duh...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 23:29   #7
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

3618 Posts

Quote:
The Prime95 folder is in the "Program files" folder which may be something in Windows not allowing it to be changed.
Program Files is not intended for files that are subject to change. It is normal for directories under there to be protected and only used by Administrator.
Why not move your files to C:\Prime95, or if you prefer C:\users\yourname\Prime95?
Quote:
I restarted with the "Run as Administrator" option, and it seems to be operating correctly.
Indeed, so don't try to do that.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 00:44   #8
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236058 Posts

Quote:
If you want to go this route, start from a shortcut. Go to the shortcut properties, select Advanced, and choose "Run as Administrator." Taking P95 out of Program Files is probably a better solution.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 18:29   #9
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

100010110112 Posts

Beginning with Windows Vista, the Program Files folder really got locked down, and since then, it has been recommended to have Prime95 and its associated files in a folder of their own, somewhere separate of any Windows system folders or files.

Back in the day, when anybody and his brother could write to System or Program Files, and when Prime95 came with an installer that could set everything up to work correctly, there was a Prime95 folder set up under Program Files. When Windows Vista came along with (for better or worse) its enhanced security features, trying to write the Prime95 folder to Program Files became verboten.

Worse yet is that in these newer versions of Windows, if you simply download Prime95 and run it, without any thought to where the associated files are being stored, these files can end up being stored in a *temporary* location (e.g. under a user "profile") and thus get lost during a reboot or when you exit the program! I have even seen a bizarre situation where I had a worktodo file queued up, only to watch Prime95 ignore it and grab totally new exponents and write a new worktodo file in some obscure, temporary location deep in the file system. Forget about finding *those* results files!

So, basically, the bottom line would be to ensure that you go to the trouble of actually creating a folder such as C:\Prime95, placing the program and the associated files within that folder, and running it from there only. You may even find it easier to set up Prime95 to run as a Windows service, though this will highlight another Vista-induced "feature": you will lose the ability to interact with the Prime95 GUI without first stopping the service and manually starting the program. But if you have Prime95 set up to write to results.txt every, say, 10,000 or 100,000 iterations, it isn't so difficult to get around this problem.

tl, dr: While Windows Vista (and its successors) have made it just a bit more difficult to realize the Prime95 ideal of "set it and forget it", the workarounds aren't that difficult and in the end, they are probably more secure, which is arguably a Good Thing, certainly to any organization that might wish to borg their systems.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 19:03   #10
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

32·181 Posts

To keep a long story short, it is best to create a folder in one's user profile it could even be in your documents folder...

If more users must be able to use an application that has to write in its installation folder, create a folder in the root and give the "Users" group modify rights.

"C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" are read-only for everyone, including members of the Administrators group. For all practical reasons the only user that has writing rights in those folders and sub-folders is "Trusted Installer".

If programs need to write things in their installation folders and they are run with administrative rights the data will be written in a sub-folder of "C:\ProgramData".

If a process which was not started with administrative rights needs to write in one of those folders the data will come in his userprofile, i.e. a sub-folder of "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\", "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (86)\" or "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\".

One could run Prime95 from one of those system folders provided one changed the permissions on the folder or configured Prime95 to use another folder for its configuration and work files which implies starting it with a commandline argument or a shortcut (see the readme.txt and undoc.txt files.)

Jacob

(This assumes that the system disk is the C and that the system folders are all on it and have not been renamed. But if you can do that kind of thing you don't need this explanation ;-)
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 02:00   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

7·1,279 Posts

Right click on your P95 folder, select "properties", click the "security" tab and give full access to the user "everyone", click the "including subfolders", you are done.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote