mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-09-13, 20:10   #1
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×3×5×227 Posts
Default Mushrooms

Does anyone here forage for mushrooms? I found this giant puffball today, but it is no longer edible (due to the yellowing). It should be pure white inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	27314  
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-13, 21:33   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×5,399 Posts
Default

I value my life and liver enough not to forage.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-13, 21:45   #3
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

3,413 Posts
Default

No, but family members and friends forage for chanterelles mostly. They taste amazing in a sauce my aunt makes, used with any good meat.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 00:09   #4
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11010100110102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I value my life and liver enough not to forage.
I forage more for berries than other things. Trying to get more into foraging for mushrooms, but my wife is not happy about it. Need a really good guide to ensure one doesn't pick a poisonous look-alike.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 00:18   #5
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3·5·227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
No, but family members and friends forage for chanterelles mostly. They taste amazing in a sauce my aunt makes, used with any good meat.
There is a mushroom that some mistake for a chanterelle, the jack-o-lantern. That one is poisonous, but there are differences so someone with knowledge can distinguish between the two.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 00:42   #6
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

234018 Posts
Default

On my hike around Big Bear lake I found some enormous (and healthy) whites, more or less like yours, >20 cm in diameter. I left it be (my cabin didn't have a kitchen )

G-photos link
That week's photo album (total: > 55 miles of hikes, total elevation gain > 2 miles)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 00:51   #7
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

137148 Posts
Default

I don't forage, but I do know a few "safe" species by sight. One is the puffball (if, as already explained, it isn't "too far along").

Another is a "shelf fungus" called "chicken of the woods." It usually grows out from dead tree trunks. It is yellow, sometimes with a bit of orange.

There is a kind of mushroom called "ink cap" or "inky cap" which I have learned to recognize.

I know people who forage for morel mushrooms. AFAIK nobody has yet been able to grow morels commercially. There are "false morels," some of which are fairly toxic.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 03:57   #8
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

3·829 Posts
Default

I've always thought it would be fun to forage for mushrooms, but my mother is paranoid about accidental picking toxic ones. She's reluctant to even attend events hosted by experts. I haven't been able to convince her otherwise.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 11:22   #9
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

7·23·53 Posts
Default

If we knew what we were doing, we would try to find some of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cubensis

Some interesting reading:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=psychedeli...ssion+research

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 13:12   #10
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·1,523 Posts
Default

In addition to the perils of mushroom misidentification, toxins from fungi (mycotoxins) can be ingested from contaminated food.

One type of such poisoning is called ergotism, or "St. Anthony's Fire." It is caused by the fungus Claviceps purpurea, AKA ergot of rye.

Ergotism was fairly common in Europe during the Middle Ages.

In August 1951, there was a large outbreak of ergotism in the French village of Pont Saint Esprit. The 1968 book The Day of St. Anthony's Fire by John G. Fuller tells the story.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-14, 17:42   #11
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

53·19 Posts
Default

My mother always referred to mushrooms as "toad stools" and that was enough to keep me from eating any, ever.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 23:26.


Sat Nov 26 23:26:53 UTC 2022 up 100 days, 20:55, 0 users, load averages: 1.10, 1.07, 1.03

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔