Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-09-29, 13:46   #408
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

2·33·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the Russians did it.
Agreed. They are trying to further destabilize the energy market and also show they can attack whatever infrastructure they want to create fear in Europe.

And if anyone needs a proof: they are claiming they didn't do it.

Last fiddled with by ldesnogu on 2022-09-29 at 13:47
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-29, 13:55   #409
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×52×71 Posts

Psycho-[girl|boy]friend mode as national policy https://i.imgflip.com/ytcsw.jpg
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-29, 15:30   #410
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

265008 Posts

Another plausible scenario. Which countries have a grievance against both Russia and Germany, and have the technical ability to carry out such an act of sabotage?

There is one very obvious candidate and several minor players.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 05:36   #411
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

2×47×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Another plausible scenario.
+1. What I learned watching Columbo, is that the murderer is usually that who has the most to gain from the death of the victim... With the small disagreement, however: there are 2 obvious candidates... Edit: actually, 3 (and no, I am not including GB/UK).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-09-30 at 05:39
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 06:53   #412
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

999110 Posts
Lightbulb There is a referendum for Russian population - "join Netherlands"

(there are subtitles, don't worry)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 11:42   #413
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

2×33×11 Posts

Quote:
Another plausible scenario. Which countries have a grievance against both Russia and Germany, and have the technical ability to carry out such an act of sabotage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
+1. What I learned watching Columbo, is that the murderer is usually that who has the most to gain from the death of the victim... With the small disagreement, however: there are 2 obvious candidates... Edit: actually, 3 (and no, I am not including GB/UK).
I bet you both think of Vatican or perhaps Andorra. Another one might be Switzerland. Funny (or not) way to say your comments are nebulous

So according to you what are the reasons some other countries but the Federation of Russia could have done that sabotage?

Let's pick the USA: in February Biden said he did not want to see NS2 open: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...nord-stream-2/
But since then the EU and the USA signed an agreement about gas delivery: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...k-kremlin-hold

Or it could be to make sure the EU does not backpedal helping Ukraine or reduce sanctions against the Federation of Russia. That's very doubtful in my humble opinion. Communication between the USA and the EU has been very good these last few months and I don't think Biden would take the risk to break that.

Another reason to think it's Russia: they were subject to huge penalties for not fulfilling their contract about gas delivery. If the pipes are out of order because of some terrorist act, the penalties are dropped.
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 12:28   #414
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×5×11×37 Posts

Quote:

This reminds me of an old Gary Larson cartoon...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_butler_did_it.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	27395  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 12:32   #415
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·34·41 Posts
Default Vague posts are vague

Why are many here being so coy about naming countries?

Are you afraid of being wrong?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 13:44   #416
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·11·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
<snip>
Another reason to think it's Russia: they were subject to huge penalties for not fulfilling their contract about gas delivery. If the pipes are out of order because of some terrorist act, the penalties are dropped.
The legal principle is called force majeure. It nullifies contractual obligations which can not be fulfilled due to "circumstances beyond our control."<google google>
Quote:
In general, for an event to trigger a force majeure clause, it must be unforeseeable, external to the parties of the contract, and serious enough that it renders it impossible for the party to perform its contractual obligations.
I doubt any external party with a grievance against Russia would knowingly give the Russians an excuse to avoid penalties for breach of contract. Which they are already facing, since they were already refusing to deliver by claiming the authority to change the contract after they signed it, illegally demanding that customers they arbitrarily deem "unfriendly" now have to pay in rubles. For Russia to blow up its own pipelines and then try to blame "external parties" makes perfect sense. And that goes double if the pipelines are insured. It would be like a failing storekeeper having a "torch job" done to collect on a fire insurance policy.

As I understand it, the "technical ability" required to blow up the pipelines is minimal. You need to know the location of the pipelines. The Russians qualify on that score. You need bombs which can be detonated remotely. A few sea mines would probably suffice. You need to plant the bombs. The explosions occurred around 70 meters deep. Scuba divers could do it, though they'd have to go through decompression during ascent to avoid "the bends."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 13:57   #417
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

26·181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Why are many here being so coy about naming countries?

Are you afraid of being wrong?
Very well. I will start with Poland.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-30, 17:05   #418
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

10,789 Posts

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/zelenskiy-says-ukraine-applying-nato-membership-2022-09-30/
Quote:
Ukraine applies for NATO membership, rules out Putin talks
KYIV, Sept 30 (Reuters) - President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced a surprise bid for fast-track membership of the NATO military alliance on Friday and ruled out talks with President Vladimir Putin, striking back at Moscow after it said it had annexed four Ukrainian regions.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2022-09-30 at 17:06
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote