Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-09-08, 14:01   #12
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×7×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I don't know about rapping, but maybe she's into break dancing. She can stand the notion of "Conservative" on its head with the best of them.

She has announced that the government is imposing price controls on rates charged for gas and electricity. Price controls!

Also, the planners expect it will cost the UK government ยฃ130bn-ยฃ150bn. But don't worry, the government won't be imposing a windfall profits tax on energy companies. The government will borrow the money - issue bonds - so that ordinary taxpayers will have to pay the amount of the bonds issued. Plus interest.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-09-08 at 23:27 Reason: fignix sopty
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-08, 14:30   #13
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

29·151 Posts

ยฃ130bn is a lot to borrow for a nation + the hiked interest rates paid on it. ยฃ100k is a lot for a corrupted individual

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-09-08 at 14:35
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 06:12   #14
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

10010100102 Posts

Jonathan Pie: Welcome to Britain. Everything is Terrible. | NYT Opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5aWtcx02ZI
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 12:43   #15
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

265008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I don't know about rapping, but maybe she's into break dancing. She can stand the notion of "Conservative" on its head with the best of them.
Never heard her express any interest in that form of music. It is spelled with a silent-C by the way.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-26, 19:17   #16
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

29·151 Posts

On top of the ยฃ150,000,000,000 -- I thought I'd write the expansion as it seems more real then "bn" -- the UK government have borrowed a further ยฃ45,000,000,000 to fund tax cuts most for the rich of the UK so they can hide it away before the st hits the fan for them at the next general election, which I hope does not return such a big majority which has devastated this country with the rule of Johnson and Truss (who was appointed by the aforementioned rich), This why is Sterling dropped to 1.03 USD today, making things more expensive for imported food. Inevitably, the Bank of England will have to raise the interest rates higher, meaning mortgages will rise dramatically, further adding to people's monetary woes.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-09-26 at 19:24
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-26, 21:34   #17
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

13FD16 Posts

Savings account will look better....for the ones who can save.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-27, 00:45   #18
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·7·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
<snip>
This why is Sterling dropped to 1.03 USD today, making things more expensive for imported food.
<snip>
I am reminded of a skit done by a comedy show called IIRC "Spitting Image" which used puppets in its satirical skits. One of these had the (IIRC) Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Calton on the hot seat concerning the precipitous fall in the value of the Pound. The skit featured the line from then-MP Margaret Thatcher, "I said I wanted to abolish the Pound note, not the Pound Sterling!" This was followed by the rest of the Cabinet chorusing, "Nigel made a " where is a vulgarism for a pratfall.

In fairness, I will say that the rise in the dollar versus (in particular) the Pound Sterling was in the news this side of the pond, and featured recent and prospective interest rate increases by the Fed.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-09-27 at 00:45 Reason: gixnif topsy
Old 2022-10-03, 13:57   #19
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

17D816 Posts

Looks like the tax rate cut for the wealthiest in the UK is on hold. That knocks about ยฃ2,000,000,000 off the ยฃ45,000,000,000. The reversal is being described as a "climb-down."

The kind of climb-down that begins by shouting "Geronimo!"

Chancellor of the Exchequer Kwasi Kwarteng now has to rewrite his Tory Party Conference speech...
Old 2022-10-14, 18:38   #20
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

7·17·43 Posts

Tune Netflix to England news, better than Mexican "soup" opera.
Old 2022-10-20, 16:50   #21
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

7×17×43 Posts

He might come back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63332047
Old 2022-10-24, 18:47   #22
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·7·109 Posts

Boris Johnson has withdrawn from contention to be the UK's new PM. So has House of Commons leader Penny Mordaunt.

So it looks like Rishi Sunak will be the next Prime Minister of the UK.

This must come as a bitter blow to "Jerry," who called in to the popular LBC show, and claimed to be a Tory, and to know what all or most Tories believe.
Quote:
LBC host Sangita Myska calmly dealt with a caller who suggested Tory leadership contender Rishi Sunak "doesn't love England" and "isn't even British in most people's opinion".

The Conservative party member, a military veteran named Jerry, said Boris Johnson has the support of "80% of members" and that he is the most likely to win a general election.

"Rishi's not gonna win it. Rishi's not even British, in most people's opinion. He's got American allegiance, his family's American. They're Indian businesspeople. He'll go live in America no doubt. He doesn't love England like Boris does," he said.

Myska pointed out that Sunak was born in Southampton General Hospital, studied at Winchester College and was a British citizen.

Father-of-two Jerry said: "Lots of people are, half of al-Qaeda are British citizens. I'm just saying having a British passport doesn't mean you're a true English patriot who loves England.

"Boris loves England, and Rishi Sunak will be decimated if he leads the Tories into the election. I'm just telling you what Tory voters believe. He'll get about 20% of the electorate."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-10-24 at 18:56 Reason: gixfin topsy