mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-11-20, 23:04   #78
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

111458 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Do I want to hook the 2-pin power-button connector to the latter pair of pins so that the "Power SW" label faces leftward or rightward?
Don't know. There may be a reason why it was hidden away like that. Trace if possible. Or get something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-Com...s/221545392426 You don't have to use it all.
Did you by chance buy the warranty?

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-11-20 at 23:54
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 23:06   #79
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

17×277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Is there no CLR CMOS jumper on the mobo any more these days?
Manual says there's a pad pair to short with a screwdriver blade with power off.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 03:12   #80
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

982810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
For the power switch the polarity doesn't matter.
That was my thinking, as well - since one pin is PWR and the other GND, pressing the (once-wired-up) "on" button should simply connect the 2, but figured better safe than sorry, ask the experts first. Now if I blow myself up, I can blame you from the aferlife, or something. :)

Anyhow, was busy with code for rest of day, so will wait 'til tomorrow so can do by daylight.

Edit: LOL, glad I decided to wait! Just added a second attachment to my post #75, showing the Control Panel with the individual pins labeled. In that, PWR and its corresponding GND are at top, but the 2 pins marked unused via 'X' are the next-to-last pin pair at the opposite end of the array. That means the pin highlighted via the solid black square in the first attachment is the PWR pin, the one the Control Panel diagram text says should be connected to the red wire in the non-existent-in-my-case ribbon-cable bundle. So it still shouldn't matter which way the labeled flat side of my 2-pin hookup faces, but it needs to connect to the rightmost pin pair in the corresponding pinout array as pictured in the first ,'pwrconnects', attachment in post #75.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-11-21 at 03:32
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 21:10   #81
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

100110011001002 Posts
Default

Success! Had to unplug the SSD and the 24-pin main-power plug to be able to plug in the little 2-pin power-switch connector, once everything was hooked back up and power cord plugged in, power button worked as intended.

Redid the CentOS install from the boot USB, this time added several optional packages including the Gnome desktop and dev-tools, told the installer to reclaim all the space on the SSD used by the older install, no problems.

But - and there's always a but, it seems - once install done, pulled boot USB, clicked "Done" to reboot, <f11> to now use the CentOS install on the SSD, again ended with a basic terminal-mode login prompt, no signs of a Desktop GUI. Did command-shell login, "which gcc" came up empty, so either the dev-tools package does not include it, or something else is awry. Shutdown for now, no more time for this today.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 22:18   #82
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

66508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Success! Had to unplug the SSD and the 24-pin main-power plug to be able to plug in the little 2-pin power-switch connector, once everything was hooked back up and power cord plugged in, power button worked as intended.

Redid the CentOS install from the boot USB, this time added several optional packages including the Gnome desktop and dev-tools, told the installer to reclaim all the space on the SSD used by the older install, no problems.

But - and there's always a but, it seems - once install done, pulled boot USB, clicked "Done" to reboot, <f11> to now use the CentOS install on the SSD, again ended with a basic terminal-mode login prompt, no signs of a Desktop GUI. Did command-shell login, "which gcc" came up empty, so either the dev-tools package does not include it, or something else is awry. Shutdown for now, no more time for this today.
https://www.golinuxcloud.com/install...rhel-centos-8/
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 22:30   #83
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

22×33×7×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
"On CentOS 8 you do not any additional subscription, you just need an active internet connection to be able to download the GNOME Desktop Environment packages."

I did the server-with-gui install ... woulda been nice if the installer had mentioned the above requirement.

Bit of a catch-22 ... for my Ubuntu installs, the GUI was immediately available, and I used its interactive options to quickly cofigure a Wifi stick. Should I have plugged that in at initial-install time and configured it using the networking menu in the CentOS installer? (Re. the plugging-in, this mobo has just 2 back-panel USB 2 ports, which are all used in install - kybd, mouse, install USB - but hopefully, unlike the CentOS install USB which needs USB2, my wifi stick can use one of the front-panel USB3 ports.)

Would the "workstation" install type behave more like I'm used to with Ubuntu?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 22:46   #84
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23×19×23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
"On CentOS 8 you do not any additional subscription, you just need an active internet connection to be able to download the GNOME Desktop Environment packages."

I did the server-with-gui install ... woulda been nice if the installer had mentioned the above requirement.

Bit of a catch-22 ... for my Ubuntu installs, the GUI was immediately available, and I used its interactive options to quickly cofigure a Wifi stick. Should I have plugged that in at initial-install time and configured it using the networking menu in the CentOS installer? (Re. the plugging-in, this mobo has just 2 back-panel USB 2 ports, which are all used in install - kybd, mouse, install USB - but hopefully, unlike the CentOS install USB which needs USB2, my wifi stick can use one of the front-panel USB3 ports.)

Would the "workstation" install type behave more like I'm used to with Ubuntu?
I don't think so, but it might be worth a try -- you should be using workstation??

Try, as per instructions:

dnf grouplist

you should see "Server with GUI" if that concurs with what you have installed,

Since you have Gnome installed, the next thing to do is:

systemctl list-units --type target --all | egrep graphical.target

systemctl isolate graphical.target

systemctl list-units --type target --all | egrep graphical.target

Then do the commands in "Change default target to start RHEL/CentOS 8 Server with GUI at reboot"

HTH

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-11-21 at 23:25
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 23:46   #85
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

2×3×7×13 Posts
Default

Do you really need the GUI anyway? Unless you have specific applications that require it, there isn't anything you can do in the GUI that can't be done in a terminal window.

I never do install any GUI interfaces when doing a linux install (which has always been Debian, but the latest ROCm drivers insist on Ubuntu this time).
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 23:51   #86
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

349610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
(which has always been Debian, but the latest ROCm drivers insist on Ubuntu this time).
You can specify an older driver in the /etc/apt/source.list.d/rocm.list file by changing "debian" to a version number.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 01:09   #87
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

982810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I don't think so, but it might be worth a try -- you should be using workstation??

Try, as per instructions:

dnf grouplist

[snip ... IDK how you remember all that crap :]
Figured 'server' might enable some useful admin options, should they prove necessary later ... thought '+gui' meant install-from-boot-image, a la Ubuntu. Annoying that the installer, since it obviously was running sans net connection, remained silent about that.

Anyhow, above cmd fives errors which again translate to "you gots to be on the interwebs":

CentOs-8 AppStream
Errors during downloading metadata for repsitory 'AppStream'
- Curl error (6): Couldn't resolve hostname for http://mirrorlist.centos.org/,,, etc.


@PhilF: GUI may not be *necessary*, I just find it much easier to do many tasks that way - again, I'm not the type of person who can rote-memorize complex command sequences like PaulU apparently is. There's a reason the GUI was invented, we should not be slaves to it, but same goes to command-line mode. The way I picture things is via the common word "Desktop" to refer to GUI: command-line mode is like trying to do office work with the only usable space being a small rectangle atop one's filing cabinet sufficient to hold 1 or 2 sheets of paper. Everything one *needs* is in said cabinet, sure, but managing multiple tasks which are not all monotasking-mode completable is a nightmare.

Gonna try one more round of boot-from-usb-stick, this time 'workstation' setup and with wifi stick plugged into one of the front-panel USB3 ports. Update tomorrrow, and thx again for all the guidance.

Worst-case, how much hassle it is to configure a wifi stick in cmd-line mode? Ubuntu had no problem finding a suitable driver for the same brand of stick in the install repository, i.e. w/o needing to DL any custom drivers over the (nonexistent, because that's what the wifi stick is for) internet connection.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-11-22 at 01:11
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 02:10   #88
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

22×33×7×13 Posts
Default

OK, some progress, quick update then offline 'til tomorrow:

With wifi stick inserted into usb3 slot @boot-from-media time, got this scary-looking but as-it-proved nonfatal error:

dracut-pre-udev[2742]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'edd' / usb3-3: device descriptor error

Note: For some reason whenever I try a fresh boot-from-usb-image, 1st try ends in same 'dracut timeuot' error I mentioned for my initial install try a couple days ago. 'exit' does nothing useful, but ctrl-alt-del and retry-with-identical-boot-from-option-via-<f11> works ... no idea why this 2-try, but hopefully it's behind me now.

The 'base environment' options at boot-from-usb don't include workstation, they are these 3:

o Server
o Minimal install - that alas causes 'GNOME' to vanish from the neighboring 'additional software' pane
o Custom operating system - yah, that sounds not-for-me

Again chose server+gui, this time network-setup showed the wifi and was able to password-connect to that - yay!

Post-install, again rebooted-from-new-CentOS-kernel-on-SSD, again got cmd-line mode (expected), but it seems wifi is not auto-enabled even though I configured it during install and it clearly was web-connected (e.g. internet time stuff showed up). 'dnf grouplist' gives same no-connecttion error or before. So back to same issue: how to enable wifi from cmd-line. Hopefully easy now that it's been properly preconfigured.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-11-22 at 02:12
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD vs Intel dtripp Software 3 2013-02-19 20:20
Intel NUC nucleon Hardware 2 2012-05-10 23:53
Intel RNG API? R.D. Silverman Programming 19 2011-09-17 01:43
AMD or Intel mack Information & Answers 7 2009-09-13 01:48
Intel Mac? penguain NFSNET Discussion 0 2006-06-12 01:31

All times are UTC. The time now is 19:00.

Thu Nov 26 19:00:43 UTC 2020 up 77 days, 16:11, 3 users, load averages: 1.67, 1.38, 1.47

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.