mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-11-20, 17:25   #507
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen! To relieve the nausea from the current occupant of the White House inviting the MI R-leaders of the State Legislature, their accepting, and only two US R-Senators (Romney and Sasse) speaking out against this attempted coup d'état, I offer the latest installment of

The Post-election FOLLIES!

Trump loses three cases in one day: Judges toss GOP election lawsuits in Arizona, Georgia and Pennsylvania as president's lawyers continue cries of voter fraud and insist he can still win (my emphasis)
Quote:
President Donald Trump and his allies lost court rulings in three states on Thursday in their effort to stop President-elect Joe Biden from taking office, underscoring their dwindling options even as they continued to claim a viable path to victory.

In Georgia, a judge appointed by Trump denied a request by Lin Wood, a conservative lawyer, to halt certification of Biden's victory in the state. The lawsuit alleged Georgia election officials improperly changed the process for handling absentee ballots.

'To halt the certification at literally the eleventh hour would breed confusion and disenfranchisement that I find have no basis in fact and law,' said US District Judge Steven Grimberg in Atlanta during a court hearing.

Meanwhile a state judge in Arizona also tossed a Republican-backed lawsuit seeking to stop Phoenix officials from certifying Biden as the winner - and said the suit could not be reworked and brought again.

And in Pennsylvania, a state judge rejected the Trump campaign's bid to invalidate about 2,200 ballots in Bucks County, near Philadelphia, over purported defects such as missing 'secrecy envelopes'.
<snip>
The judge who handed down Georgia's ruling on Thursday appeared to acknowledge the mounting desperation, calling the suit that Wood filed in his capacity as an average voter 'creative', but saying that didn't give him a basis to sue.

'There is no doubt that the right to vote, even an individual's right to vote is sacrosanct,' Judge Steven Grimberg in the Northern District of Georgia said. But, he added, that 'doesn't mean that individual voters have the right to dictate' how their vote is counted.
<snip>
'It is well established that garden-variety election disputes do not rise to the level of a constitutional deprivation,' the judge said.

'The fact that the candidate or candidates that this plaintiff voted for… did not prevail in an election does not meet the legal standard of harm, much less irreparable harm.'
<snip>
On Friday, Trump put Giuliani in charge of all election-related litigation and communications for it. That resulted Thursday's press conference at the Republican National Committee headquarters where Giuliani, with hair dye dripping down both sides of his face, spouted baseless conspiracy theories about voter fraud while praising the movie 'My Cousin Vinny.'
So Giuliani was put in charge of the Post-Election Follies last Friday. Huh. That was Friday the Thirteenth.

Giuliani showed his legal prowess by, among other things, declaring during his appearance for the Plaintiffs in the federal lawsuit in Pennsylvania that "This is not a fraud case." So, next day in court, the judge cancelled the evidentiary hearing that had been scheduled WRT fraud allegations.

Way to go, Rudy!
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 18:35   #508
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

13·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Some progressive policies are very popular. Florida just raised their minimum wage
As usual in US politics, Florida is probably the exception to the rule. Enough voters found Biden's team beyond the pale, despite generally supporting some of his party's policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
In short people voting on one of these "single issues" really seem to have their focus on the wrong things. I do not know how to convince them of that.

One big "single issue" you missed is religious freedom. That is much more complicated than that others, but I would ask people voting on this issue about what they are specifically afraid of. Just like gun rights, the president cannot take away religious freedoms easily.

A subset of religious freedom is gay marriage and discrimination against homosexuals. Based upon two studies I looked at somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of Americans support gay marriage. Like the other issues, this is a very progressive position. There seems to be a disconnect between the issue of gay marriage and the issue of discrimination as it seems that many religious folks want to continue to discriminate based upon sexuality even though they support gay marriage.
I hear you. Re religious freedom and gay marriage, what those voters really crave IMO is conformity. I have heard statements like: "I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home, just don't shove it in my face" I interpret those statements as "Any public display or expression that offends my 1950s puritan worldview isn't allowed." Very illiberal.

Last fiddled with by masser on 2020-11-20 at 18:39
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 22:46   #509
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

212628 Posts

This:
https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.ne.../936773518.jpg
reminds me more and more of this
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...qyvo1_1280.jpg
as time goes by.

[edit]Just noticed: RG's dye job is sweat soluble.[/edit]

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-11-20 at 22:48
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 00:28   #510
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
[edit]Just noticed: RG's dye job is sweat soluble.[/edit]
Yeah, I bolded the mention of that in a quotation a couple of posts back. It was drawing more attention than his absolutely perfect impersonation of a man raving like a lunatic. Some of the stills make him look utterly crazed.

I wondered what kind of dye would run like that. The only ideas I had were, (1) he used mascara to touch up his sideburns, or (2) he used some kind of temporary hair dye that can be washed out. I'm partial to the mascara theory. The stuff looked really messy.

I am reminded of a passage in a story I read long ago -- possibly The Great Gatsby -- in which a singer was crying during her performance, and her running mascara was described as looking like musical notes on her face.

I am also reminded of the scene in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz where the Wicked Witch of the West said, You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! MELTING! Oh, what a world, what a world...
Old 2020-11-21, 09:33   #511
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

22×3×53 Posts

Visconti's 1971 film of Thomas Mann's novel "Death in Venice" (with Dirk Bogarde in the main role) has both an epidemic and running hair dye!
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 20:36   #512
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

73258 Posts

"We have not yet been made aware of any information that would change the outcome of the election in Michigan and as legislative leaders, we will follow the law and follow the normal process regarding Michigan's electors, just as we have said throughout this election.

"Michigan's certification process should be a deliberate process free from threats and intimidation. Allegations of fraudulent behavior should be taken seriously, thoroughly investigated, and if proven, prosecuted to the full extent of the law. And the candidates who win the most votes win elections and Michigan's electoral votes. These are simple truths that should provide confidence in our elections."
-- Michigan State Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey and Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield, in a joint statement after the WH meeting on November 20, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by @realDonaldTrump on Saturday, November 21 2020 @ 3:13 am
This is true, but much different than reported by the media. We will show massive and unprecedented fraud! https://t.co/<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by @realDonaldTrump on Saturday, November 21 2020 @ 3:15 am
Massive voter fraud will be shown! https://t.co/<snip>
Gee, too bad they haven't even been willing to claim this -- let alone show it -- in any court of law...
Quote:
Originally Posted by @realDonaldTrump on Saturday, November 21 2020 @ 3:58 am
Big voter fraud information coming out concerning Georgia. Stay tuned!
Gee, too bad the Georgia results have already been certified...

I think Rudy Giuliani could definitely be certified. Maybe the Narcissist-in-Chief, too. I can make rooms ready for them quickly.

Dr. Sardonicus, Chief of Client Placement
Frederick Charles Krueger Institution for the Criminally Insane
666 Elm Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
Old 2020-11-21, 22:11   #513
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Gee, too bad they haven't even been willing to claim this -- let alone show it -- in any court of law...
They don't expect to convince any court of law. They're playing to the court of public opinion, of which there is currently an unprecedented level of bifurcation of trusted sources...

I don't understand the end-game. But the results are risky (as 9-11 showed us).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 23:56   #514
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
They don't expect to convince any court of law. They're playing to the court of public opinion, of which there is currently an unprecedented level of bifurcation of trusted sources...
Yeah. If you watch the video in this post you'll see the audience he's playing to don't need no steenkin' evidence. They get all their (dis)information from Facebook and Twitter. Verified by their favorite analyst, Confirmation Bias.
Quote:
I don't understand the end-game. But the results are risky (as 9-11 showed us).
Or perhaps the "end game" will be more like Jonestown or Waco.
Old 2020-11-22, 00:01   #515
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110110101012 Posts

I suddenly remembered to check on which other countries had -- and had not -- congratulated Joe Biden on his election victory -- or at least acknowledged it as a fact.

I am only aware of five countries which have done neither. These are Russia, Brazil, Mexico, North Korea, and the United States of America.

The first four of these are mentioned in the following article, dated Friday the Thirteenth.

US election: China congratulates Biden after long silence
Quote:
China has finally congratulated Joe Biden on his projected win in the US presidential election, breaking a frosty period of silence.
"We respect the choice of the American people. We extend congratulations to Mr Biden and Ms Harris," a foreign ministry spokesman said on Friday.
<snip>
What does China's message tell us?

To put it bluntly, it shows China's leaders - and specifically Xi Jinping, the country's powerful president - have accepted the result and expect Joe Biden to be inaugurated as president in January despite legal challenges from the Trump campaign.

Until this point, the Chinese government had been holding out, saying only that it had "noticed that Mr Biden had been declared winner".

After offering the congratulations on Thursday, foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin added: "We understand the results of the US election will be determined according to US laws and procedures."
<snip>
A bit more digging turned up the following October 19 article: US 2020 election: Who does China really want to win?
Quote:
Chinese leaders may have a growing feeling that US democracy has passed its sell-by-date but if they had to express a choice, might they too be glad to see the back of Donald Trump?

That's certainly the assessment of the US intelligence community that has concluded that Mr Trump's unpredictability, and his harsh criticisms of Beijing, mean the Communist Party leadership would prefer him to lose.

But Professor Yan Xuetong, dean of the Institute of International Relations at Beijing's Tsinghua University, disagrees.

"If you ask me about where China's interests lie," he says, "the preference would be for Trump rather than Biden".

"Not because Trump will do less damage to China's interests than Biden, but because he definitely will damage the US more than Biden."

It is a sign of just how far things have deteriorated from the idea of closer economic ties for mutual benefit.

Distinguished Chinese observers are now prepared to state openly that the decline of the US, both economically and politically, is in China's interests as a rising power.

While some observers have suggested that China's belief in the end of US global dominance predates both the virus and President Trump, what has changed is its readiness to spell it out.

From this perspective, Donald Trump is the better option, not because of his support for democratic ideals, but precisely because he is often seen to reject or undermine them.

His attacks on the free press, for example, have been music to the ears of a Chinese state deeply hostile to independent scrutiny and intent on bending the internet even further to its will.

And while his administration has grown increasingly critical of China over human rights, his own motivations appear to be driven by far narrower considerations of trade and economic advantage.
Old 2020-11-22, 03:44   #516
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts
Default Justice has prevailed. Appeal immediately!

The opinion in the Pennsylvania election case, (DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC., et al., Plaintiffs, v. KATHY BOOCKVAR, et al.,Defendants. No. 4:20-CV-02078 (Judge Brann) has been issued. The Complaint is dismissed with prejudice.

The entire Opinion (though not the accompanying Order) is here.
Quote:
I. INTRODUCTION
In this action, the Trump Campaign and the Individual Plaintiffs (collectively, the "Plaintiffs") seek to discard millions of votes legally cast by Pennsylvanians from all corners – from Greene County to Pike County, and everywhere in between. In other words, Plaintiffs ask this Court to disenfranchise almost seven million voters. This Court has been unable to find any case in which a plaintiff has sought such a drastic remedy in the contest of an election, in terms of the sheer volume of votes asked to be invalidated. One might expect that when seeking such a startling outcome, a plaintiff would come formidably armed with compelling legal arguments and factual proof of rampant corruption, such that this Court would have no option but to regrettably grant the proposed injunctive relief despite the impact it would have on such a large group of citizens.

That has not happened. Instead, this Court has been presented with strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence. In the United States of America, this cannot justify the disenfranchisement of a single voter, let alone all the voters of its sixth most populated state. Our people, laws, and institutions demand more. At bottom, Plaintiffs have failed to meet their burden to state a claim upon which relief may be granted. Therefore, I grant Defendants' motions and dismiss Plaintiffs' action with prejudice.
<snip>
II. BACKGROUND
<snip>
D. Plaintiffs' Claims
Plaintiffs' only remaining claim alleges a violation of equal protection. This claim, like Frankenstein's Monster, has been haphazardly stitched together from two distinct theories in an attempt to avoid controlling precedent.
<snip>
V. CONCLUSION
Defendants' motions to dismiss the First Amended Complaint are granted with prejudice. Leave to amend is denied.
From the AP story, In blistering ruling, judge throws out Trump suit in Pa.:
Quote:
Trump tweeted after the ruling that he couldn't understand why Biden was forming a Cabinet when the president's investigators had found "hundreds of thousands of fraudulent votes," a baseless claim for which Trump has supplied no evidence.

Giuliani and a Trump campaign lawyer said in a statement that they welcomed the dismissal because it would allow them to appeal up to the U.S. Supreme Court faster, where Trump has repeatedly said he feels he has sympathetic justices.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-11-22 at 03:45 Reason: Delete extra newline
Old 2020-11-22, 14:18   #517
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

This is now descending into the realm of total farce. The MI State Republican Party Organization and the RNC have sent a letter demanding that the MI Board of State Canvassers delay certification for two weeks to allow an audit and investigation of alleged "voting irregularities" in Wayne County.

By Michigan state law, audits can't be done until after certification, because documents required to do the audits aren't released until after certification.

The Board is, as best I can tell, legally obligated to certify after all counties have already certified. Nonetheless, one of the R-members is balking. The Governor has prepared for the contingency of nonfeasance. Options include a court order, and firing and replacing Board members who refuse to do their jobs.

In Wisconsin, R-campaign workers and "observers" are obstructing the recount. Campaign officials keep raising issues the Election Board has already ruled on, and the "observers" keep asking the same ignoramus questions about every single ballot. County workers trying actually to recount the ballots have told the "observers" it's not their job to train them, and told them to take their questions to the campaign organization that brought them in as "observers."

At Rick Hasen's Election Law Blog we find a post with this nugget from a series of Reuters interviews with 50 members of Team Orange:
Quote:
In Sundown, Texas, Mayor Jonathan Strickland said there's "no way in hell" Biden won fairly. The only way he'll believe it, he said, is if Trump himself says so.

"Trump is the only one we've been able to trust for the last four years," said Strickland, an oilfield production engineer. "As far as the civil war goes, I don't think it's off the table."

The word "idolatry" comes to mind...