Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Old 2020-10-22, 19:07   #1
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×3×17×59 Posts
Default Mystery pin

This pin was found by my cousin as he was going thru his mother's belongings after her death.

Some clues to the meaning of this can be found on this similar item at ebay, but I'm not convinced that the description on ebay is correct.

The center symbol appears to be a yarovik, but I am not wholly convinced of that. She was born in the US, but her parents or grandparents might have originated from Moravia.

If anyone here has some thoughts as to the solution of this mystery I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery_pin.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	23597  
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-22, 23:49   #2
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·19·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
This pin was found by my cousin as he was going thru his mother's belongings after her death.

Some clues to the meaning of this can be found on this similar item at ebay, but I'm not convinced that the description on ebay is correct.

The center symbol appears to be a yarovik, but I am not wholly convinced of that. She was born in the US, but her parents or grandparents might have originated from Moravia.

If anyone here has some thoughts as to the solution of this mystery I would appreciate it.
Starting at the upper left, and proceeding clockwise around the perimeter, there are a number of objects with possibly symbolic meanings.

An oil lamp.
Lightning bolt (?)
Scales
Shield (escutcheon) with the letter R. This may signify a family.
Something I can't identify. It appears to have part of an ivy or vine trailing below it to the right, touching the shield.
An arm holding a torch

The center does look like a yarovik. The yarovik is a slavic symbol that symbolizes the preservation of wealth.

The shape (outline) of the pin might also be of some significance.

It occurred to me it might be a family coat-of-arms or something like it.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 03:23   #3
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·2,969 Posts

That eBay pin is strikingly similar. Tracking it down is surely the key. Is there a series of pins with different symbols in the front raised area?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 04:23   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·5·7·127 Posts

They might be from the same school and the badge in the middle is for different clubs. That is supposed to be Lady Liberty on the lower left. Does yours have any markings on the back? It might be the person's initials. Both the ebay one and yours have R in the bottom. I bet that is the first letter of the school.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 06:41   #5
Citrix

Jun 2003

32·52·7 Posts

Cannot say about the origin. The badge could belong to a group, trade organization etc. It could just be for decorative purposes.

Oil lamp = Service
Lightning bolt= Illumination
Statue of Liberty = Liberty
Scale of Justice = Justice/Equality
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 07:42   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010111001002 Posts

The R and the yarowick, as well as "mother" may all together point to Randwick Girls school. They have similar pins, newer designs. The guy on ebay may know more, as he said something about "old design". Are initials on the back, of his mother? Went she there?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-23 at 07:43
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 07:45   #7
Viliam Furik

Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
They might be from the same school and the badge in the middle is for different clubs. That is supposed to be Lady Liberty on the lower left. Does yours have any markings on the back? It might be the person's initials. Both the ebay one and yours have R in the bottom. I bet that is the first letter of the school.
In that case, it couldn't be from Moravia. Neither our west neighbours nor we have the tradition of school rings, never had, AFAIK.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 12:36   #8
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×3×17×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
The R and the yarowick, as well as "mother" may all together point to Randwick Girls school. They have similar pins, newer designs. The guy on ebay may know more, as he said something about "old design". Are initials on the back, of his mother? Went she there?
Absolutely not Randwick (assuming the one in Australia per google). She never lived more than a few miles from her birth place in Wisconsin.

No markings on the back of this pin and it appears to be made of a different material than the one on e-bay. I am looking to get confirmation of that.

AFAIK, she never went to any college and was a stay at home mom
Old 2020-10-23, 12:43   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×5×7×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
In that case, it couldn't be from Moravia. Neither our west neighbours nor we have the tradition of school rings, never had, AFAIK.
It is a pin, like a broach, not a ring. And it looks to date prior to the 1960's (most likely prior to the 1940's).
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 13:18   #10
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·19·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix View Post
Cannot say about the origin. The badge could belong to a group, trade organization etc. It could just be for decorative purposes.

Oil lamp = Service
Lightning bolt= Illumination
Statue of Liberty = Liberty
Scale of Justice = Justice/Equality
The oil lamp may also symbolize learning or education.

The lightning bolt may symbolize sudden realization, or sudden banishment of ignorance.

Balance scales -- justice, equality, etc as previously indicated.

R on shield (escutcheon) -- not sure

Arm with torch -- liberty

That unidentified thing between the shield and the arm holding the torch -- the part cut out from the upper right of it is symmetrical and its outline is sort of U-shaped. So it represents an object, but what that object is eludes me.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 13:52   #11
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

178216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
That unidentified thing between the shield and the arm holding the torch -- the part cut out from the upper right of it is symmetrical and its outline is sort of U-shaped. So it represents an object, but what that object is eludes me.
That is the head of Liberty so you see the head and the arm with the torch.