Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-07, 16:37   #12
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

723210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Well, the thread says "explanation for non math guys"....
This is mersenneforum. It is a mathematical topic. See my recent posts
on STEM education. If people want to participate here, they have to be
prepared and willing to learn the math. Especially in a sub-forum whose
title is 'math'.

Even "non-math" people need to have an uderstanding of basics before they
can ask reasonable questions and understand the answers.
Old 2011-11-07, 17:04   #13
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
This is mersenneforum.
But it is not your forum or classroom.

Quote:
If people want to participate here, they have to be prepared and willing to learn the math.
That is your personal opinion, but it is NOT a forum requirement or prerequisite.

You berate newbies even when they DO show willingness to learn the math. As for "preparedness", that is not a forum requirement or prerequisite, and you seem to define it in such a way as to excuse yourself from working to adapt your instruction level to the level of the questioner.

(We know that you're capable of so adapting your instruction level because you've shown us on some occasions that you've done so.)

As has been pointed out to you before, you are not only under no obligation to respond to an inquiry that you deem to come from an unprepared questioner, but also have been explicitly asked to step aside and let other more patient responders take care of such an inquiry.

Quote:
Even "non-math" people need to have an uderstanding of basics before they can ask reasonable questions and understand the answers.
... but you have repeatedly shown yourself to be a poor judge of what constitutes a basic understanding when the inquirer is obviously a newbie. You should leave newbie inquiries to others to answer.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2011-11-07 at 17:07
Old 2011-11-07, 22:16   #14
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

24·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
On the contrary. There is direct evidence that this is a classroom.
Questions get asked and answered.
More than that:
Again, I ask that this move to a different forum...Maximus clearly does not have the math background, and while we *are* talking about complexity, we still need to be precise about our n's....if we mean n is the number of digits in the operand, as usual, that's great....but it's worth making explicit.

Mods, there's value in not having all this noise on the FFT multiplilcation thread....which is a sticky....
Old 2011-11-08, 03:04   #15
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×11×29 Posts

OK, people! Stop it! My mistake! Why you make such a big fuss of it? I confused the size of the number with the number itself. You are all right and you do not need to start a flame war because of me. I tried to repair it by some joke, but as usual Mr. Silverman's "irony detector" (as someone said in another thread) was turned off. Ok. No big deal. He is totally right. Respect!

Respect axn and cheesehead and Christenson too!
End of story.

I want to see the OP's multiplication algorithm.

(edit: and yes, this all discussion has no right to be in a sticky tread! I agree to be moved)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2011-11-08 at 03:14
Old 2011-11-08, 19:38   #16
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

22×33×7×13 Posts

Closing the thread to put an end to the useless polemics. If you have something which is actually on-topic you wish to add, please ask one of the mods (who happens to be online at the time) to open it up for you.
Closed Thread