Old 2011-10-06, 14:21   #23
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
biggest thing so far is the test you gave I'll see what I can do to get GGNFS, looks like I have to join the group to get it ?
That's an old group. You can actually just get the package from Jeff Gilchrist's page.

If you want to take a chance, you can try running ECM on a sequence to see if it can crack the composite.

Go here and click on Download .elf file. Save the file to your Aliqueit directory, and then execute aliqueit 563064.

Aliqueit will start by verifying the sequence file, complain about an incomplete last line, then start working on the c108 with ECM and P+1/P-1. Who knows, you might get a lucky hit....
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 14:25   #24
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
That's an old group. You can actually just get the package from Jeff Gilchrist's page.

If you want to take a chance, you can try running ECM on a sequence to see if it can crack the composite.

Go here and click on Download .elf file. Save the file to your Aliqueit directory, and then execute aliqueit 563064.

Aliqueit will start by verifying the sequence file, complain about an incomplete last line, then start working on the c108 with ECM and P+1/P-1. Who knows, you might get a lucky hit....
so what do I do for GGNFS ? in the folders,keep it separate put it in auto etc. it has a lot more than just 2 exe's
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 14:32   #25
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts

Quote:
so what do I do for GGNFS ? in the folders,keep it separate put it in auto etc. it has a lot more than just 2 exe's
Well, since we've gone this far, we can take it all the way if you like....

Also, I'm going to move this discussion to a new thread later, so don't panic if it vanishes from the "Getting Started" thread....

First requirement: do you have Perl installed?

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2011-10-06 at 14:34 Reason: Forgot to hit 'Shift'
Old 2011-10-06, 14:34   #26
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:

I'm also confused when I tried the execute I got it starting over. I don't know what I'm doing remember.
Old 2011-10-06, 14:38   #27
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Well, since we've gone this far, we can take it all the way if you like....

Also, I'm going to move this discussion to a new thread later, so don't panic if it vanishes from the "Getting Started" thread....

First requirement: do you have Perl installed?
perl ? I didn't know you could install a programming language. perl.exe sounds familiar but that is likely because I have read too much in this forum.
Old 2011-10-06, 14:39   #28
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts

Quote:
I'm also confused when I tried the execute I got it starting over. I don't know what I'm doing remember.
Ooops....either rename 563064.elf to alq_563064.elf or make this change in aliqueit.ini:
Code:
result_file_prefix =
(That's a blank space at the end of the line....)

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2011-10-06 at 14:40 Reason: Double letters
Old 2011-10-06, 14:50   #29
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts

Quote:
perl ? I didn't know you could install a programming language. perl.exe sounds familiar but that is likely because I have read too much in this forum.
Yes, you need to install a package to run the included scripts in the GGNFS package.

I use ActivePerl, but you can also use Strawberry Perl. You'll need to download and install one. ActivePerl is ~27MB, it looks like Strawberry Perl is 34MB or 40MB, depending on which version you download......if you're not on DSL or cable I would get a download manager like GetRight to help get the distribution downloaded....

Last fiddled with by schickel on 2011-10-06 at 14:51 Reason: punctutation, plus add cable option
Old 2011-10-06, 15:04   #30
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

64158 Posts

Quote:
Yes, you need to install a package to run the included scripts in the GGNFS package.
There is also "-y" in aliqueit, which is maybe simpler to use.

Download this and unzip it into a new folder located here (the actual location isn't important as long as you point to it correctly in the next step): C:\aliquot\ggnfs_bin

Add a file called yafu.ini, if you don't already have one, in the same directory that your yafu.exe is located.

Add this line to the file (assuming you haven't moved things around from your "dir" post output a while back)
ggnfs_dir=..\ggnfs_bin

Run any subsequent aliqueit commands with the -y flag, e.g.
Code:
aliquiet.exe -y 563064
Sit back and watch the electricity flow.

p.s. if you want to run multi-threaded, then there is one more change that needs to happen in order for ecm to work correctly with the above method.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 15:16   #31
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post

Download this and unzip it into a new folder located here (the actual location isn't important as long as you point to it correctly in the next step): C:\aliquot\ggnfs_bin

Add a file called yafu.ini, if you don't already have one, in the same directory that your yafu.exe is located.

Add this line to the file (assuming you haven't moved things around from your "dir" post output a while back)
ggnfs_dir=..\ggnfs_bin

Code:
aliquiet.exe -y 563064

p.s. if you want to run multi-threaded, then there is one more change that needs to happen in order for ecm to work correctly with the above method.
Ah, I did not know about the -y switch. I've still got 1.09 installed (I tend to install something, then only update if needed....and just skim any changelogs posted.....)

I also tend to use aliqueit unattended only for sequences <110 digits, since I have several machines that I can pile on with to run ECM, then, if need be, I can run GNFS on several others.

@science_man_88: go with wihch ever solution feels easiest to you. If you use the aliqueit route, you can always advance to going the full Perl or Python route later if you find that Aliquot sequences don't suit you.....that way you can tackle bigger comps for other projects.
Old 2011-10-06, 15:38   #32
RichD

Sep 2008
Kansas

1100011010012 Posts
Default Newbies welcome

If any newcomer to Aliquot Sequences would like to get familiar with the programs used but not have to deal with GNFS (at least not yet), there are a few sequences in unchartered areas. They are currently above the projects of this forum so there is no need to reserve them. Occasionally, DB workers will advance them automatically.

A few that are currently decreasing and well below the GNFS threshold are:

1124496:i458 - C59 with a 2^2 driver/guide
1127328:i674 - C78 with a 2^2 driver/guide
1129380:i1852 - C74 with a 2 driver
1133440:i728 - C74 with a 2^2 driver/guide

I'll post more if others are interested.
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 17:58   #33
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20B116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post

ggnfs_dir=..\ggnfs_bin

Code:
aliquiet.exe -y 563064

is that the only thing needed in the file, I'm unfamiliar with .ini files know how to create the ending not sure what's supposed to be in the file.

PS: I got it working now all I did was go to run and use my last call and it found it because I'm guessing it's the only file it could find to match. it's resuming work at line 1630 with 214 ECM curves at 5e4.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2011-10-06 at 18:10